Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Oversized tires with a stock spare (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/281696-oversized-tires-stock-spare.html)

Ida4runner 01-11-2020 11:28 PM

Oversized tires with a stock spare

4runners with lifts and oversized tires what do you do when you get a flat and only have a stock spare?
will running a stock spare with 33" tires trash your AWD?

Berty_K 01-12-2020 04:18 PM

I'd guess you'd end up stressing your diffs and suspension. I don't think you'd end up breaking anything, but you probably wouldn't want to do this as a long term solution.

patkelly4370 01-12-2020 04:38 PM

This is one of several reasons I want to move my spare from underneath.
Run a full-size spare, protect it from damage offroading, keep it cleaner, easier access when needed, more likely to check pressure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ripper238 01-12-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ida4runner (Post 3422863)
4runners with lifts and oversized tires what do you do when you get a flat and only have a stock spare?

Probably the same as with any other car with a donut spare since they run smaller. Use it to get to a tire place and get a new tire.

I don't see it being an issue in the short term to get off a trail or get to a tire place. I'm guessing turning traction control off on 4R is required with a smaller spare.

MrSeth 01-13-2020 01:39 AM

I would move the spare to the back axle and put one of your oversized tires up front. I would think that it would be ok for a little while, and with the design of the rear it should allow for different rear tire speeds.... I think...

radlynx 01-16-2020 04:55 PM

i don't think so if you are only using it while you are having the flat tire fixed. the important thing is you can still get away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ida4runner (Post 3422863)

L8Shift 01-17-2020 12:37 PM

V8 2006 (heard V6 has a different trailer hitch)

I have 285/70-17 Ridge Grapplers, and a Wrangler 255/75-17 for the spare. It is about 1/2 inch diameter difference, and fits in the stock location aired up without hitting on the track bar.

YMMV :art:

Fasteddy 01-17-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L8Shift (Post 3426454)
V8 2006 (heard V6 has a different trailer hitch)

I have 285/70-17 Ridge Grapplers, and a Wrangler 255/75-17 for the spare. It is about 1/2 inch diameter difference, and fits in the stock location aired up without hitting on the track bar.

YMMV :art:

When I was wiring aux reverse lights the other day, I tried to measure to see if one of my 255/75/17 tires would fit in the space location, and it was awfully close... so close I figured I’d just skip it. Glad to hear it worked! I have one tire wearing unevenly after the lift (positive camber), so after I do ucas (already have them on hand), I will prob replace that tire and throw it in the spare location. Thanks for that!