Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Classic T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/)
-   -   1st Gen - Rear Window Key Cylinder Stopped Turning Left (Up) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/281715-1st-gen-rear-window-key-cylinder-stopped-turning-left-up.html)

pinemind 01-12-2020 04:31 PM

1st Gen - Rear Window Key Cylinder Stopped Turning Left (Up)

Hi guys,

A few days ago, I noticed I could no longer turn the key in the rear window lock cylinder to the left to put the window up. Down/right is fine. The interior front console switch works fine in both directions.

I can't recall when it was working, if the cylinder always turns left, and the window won't go up (i.e. when the top is off releasing that bolt switch), or if that switch prevents movement of the lock cylinder completely?

Basically, is this a physical problem or some weird wiring issue? Not sure where to start here.

RAD4Runner 01-16-2020 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinemind (Post 3423130)
Basically, is this a physical problem or some weird wiring issue? Not sure where to start here.

Just mechanical issue with the cylinder.

When working, the tailgate key switch simply connects Pin 11 or 12 of the window control relay to ground to roll up or roll down.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...80b72aac62.jpg

nevada 01-16-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinemind (Post 3423130)
Hi guys,

A few days ago, I noticed I could no longer turn the key in the rear window lock cylinder to the left to put the window up. Down/right is fine. The interior front console switch works fine in both directions.

I can't recall when it was working, if the cylinder always turns left, and the window won't go up (i.e. when the top is off releasing that bolt switch), or if that switch prevents movement of the lock cylinder completely?

sounds like an issue with the switch itself. you may try some lock cylinder lube, or compressed air. if that doesn't work, you will probably need to replace it.

the last time I checked, they were fairly expensive.

RAD4Runner 01-16-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevada (Post 3425763)
...probably need to replace it.
the last time I checked, they were fairly expensive.

Someone on Yotatech deleted his tailgate roll-up window. I think Cory. Ping him in case he still has the switch.

stomper4x4 01-18-2020 05:56 AM

Yeah mine is the same way. IT still works though if I put the key in then back it out just a hair width, then it works fine. I'm so used to it now I do it quickly and without much jiggling. Mostly I just load up and use the inside switch though.

pinemind 01-19-2020 12:49 PM

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I used some 3-in-1 dry lock lube and it didn't help. In fact, it made it worse, now I can't turn the key in either direction. Looks like I'll be removing the entire assembly and troubleshooting. I wish this happened before I completely sound deadened my tailgate. This will not be fun in freezing temps :).

I did find a detailed write-up on here that I'll use to get at the switch itself:

Tailgate Lock Cylinder Repair (walkthrough)

Also, I have an extra switch but I have no idea of its condition. Luckily the interior switch still works fine.