Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Skid plate off before oil change? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/281735-skid-plate-off-before-oil-change.html)

mswaz 01-13-2020 12:45 AM

Skid plate off before oil change?

I am taking my 2019 TRD Pro in for its first free oil change, Should I remove the skid plate before I take it in so they do not strip the bolts? Any suggestions on removing them at home so I don't strip them?
Might just change the oil myself, Then get them to reset the maintenance reminder.

mustangr2 01-13-2020 01:09 AM

I would take it off if you really want the dealer to do the change. That is still no guarantee they don't mess something up. If you have the ability to change it yourself I would.

SpeedyKevin 01-13-2020 01:33 AM

You can reset the maintenance light using these instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04I4TrJ8gFI

ElectroBoy 01-13-2020 02:55 AM

The forum is full of dealer oil change horror stories. Do yourself a favor and take off the front skid plate and plastic cowel under the radiator. And you might as well take off the oil drain cover plate too. All the instruction are here.
Oil Change 5th Gen: How To- LOTS of PICS!
It’s a good way to get familiar with your 4R. After your two free oil changes consider doing it yourself. It’s not difficult.

euser 01-13-2020 03:25 AM

I get mine serviced at the dealer and let them handle it all. Ive never had any issues. I’m sure that techs have messed up peoples stuff some in the millions of services that have been done on 4runners. I’m also sure plenty of owners have messed up their own bolts. You’re never gonna find someone making a post about something going right, even though that’s 95% of the time. You just gotta decide what’s best for you. You’ll find a lot of people who say to take it off, and while you’re at it just change the oil yourself. There’s also a lot of people on here who insist the engineers that designed the engine don’t know what they are talking about and that oil needs to be changed every xxxx miles instead of the 10k in the book. You gotta take most things with a grain of salt.

Charlievee 01-13-2020 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euser (Post 3423428)
I get mine serviced at the dealer and let them handle it all. Ive never had any issues. I’m sure that techs have messed up peoples stuff some in the millions of services that have been done on 4runners. I’m also sure plenty of owners have messed up their own bolts. You’re never gonna find someone making a post about something going right, even though that’s 95% of the time. You just gotta decide what’s best for you. You’ll find a lot of people who say to take it off, and while you’re at it just change the oil yourself. There’s also a lot of people on here who insist the engineers that designed the engine don’t know what they are talking about and that oil needs to be changed every xxxx miles instead of the 10k in the book. You gotta take most things with a grain of salt.

Lol, i trust engineers. However i don't trust the bean counters that control the bottom line.

wsgoat 01-13-2020 08:42 AM

The hardest part about changing the oil on a PRO, is removing the skid plate.

1000MPH 01-13-2020 09:14 AM

Recommend the following as well:
Remove hubcaps.
Request they DO NOT...
Service either air filters.
Add air to tires.
Wash truck.
Top off fluids. Brake fluid, coolant, and especially windshield washer fluid if you live in a place that sees freezing temps.
Then check everything before you leave the dealership.

northcoast 01-13-2020 10:04 AM

I just re-tapped the threads for the skid plate and plastic cover on my 16 Trail. New bolts of course, as well. Too many people over-torquing (working on other stuff besides oil changes) did them in.

I like to do my own oil changes. Yes, dealer horror stories, but by the time I can get in with an appt around life's already busy schedule, it's easier just to do it at home on my time, which may be 8pm or something like that. Typically, what I do is drain the used oil, let it drip while I eat dinner with the wife and kiddo, then fill it and button it back up afterwords. Plus, I get the help of a rambunctious but big-hearted 4 yr old girl.

jwscott79 01-13-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euser (Post 3423428)

I completely agree. I was a change my own oil guy for 20 years, I didn't gain anything and now I have every single service documented with one dealership. If anything does go wrong, this documentation is more valuable than a spreadsheet you create at home. Remember, the majority opinion is not always the correct opinion....

Sky 01-30-2020 07:21 AM

Those who state they've never had any issues really don't know that, do they?
I was surprised at all the people who did their own oil change after a dealer oil change and found the wrong oil filter element was used.
So oil was not filtered at all for those 10,000 mi it was in there.

adrtoy 01-30-2020 07:50 AM

Take it off and use some anti seize on the bolts when you reinstall it.

patkelly4370 01-30-2020 10:36 AM

I read this several years ago.
Somewhat relevant to this conversation

Funny2 - Men vs. Women: How to Change Oil 1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ayeyothisiskyle 01-30-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patkelly4370 (Post 3433766)
I read this several years ago.
Somewhat relevant to this conversation

Funny2 - Men vs. Women: How to Change Oil 1

wtf is a check?

patkelly4370 01-30-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayeyothisiskyle (Post 3434162)
wtf is a check?

It's a line of credit from the 1900's.