Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Ready for complete audio upgrade - suggestions? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/281760-ready-complete-audio-upgrade-suggestions.html)

Juice88 01-13-2020 06:48 PM

Ready for complete audio upgrade - suggestions?

Hi All,

I know there are former threads that speak to this, but I'm not an "experienced" member of these boards, yet. So I am starting one to hopefully get some insight.

I recently acquired a 08 V8 Sport, without the JBL speaker package. Everything works fine, but I've always been into audio and waited years to professionally install a high quality system in my own vehicle.

That said, I'm looking at double-din, capacitive screen head units that would support a backup camera, apple functionality, etc.

I will also want an amp, sub (leaning ported over sealed) and I'm thinking component speakers.

I intend to tackle the install myself, and it will be my first time. I don't need anything contest-worthy, as I'm not a serious audiophile (yet), but appreciate good quality.

Can anyone provide recommendations based on their 4th gen (or not) experience? Any particular build threads or users I should look into regarding audio?

Thanks in advance! :thumb3:

Bluesky 07 01-14-2020 11:51 PM

Welcome. I had a Kenwood but just replaced it with a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX. It’s a great unit. Whatever you do, get CarPlay for sure and replace your factory speakers ASAP. I have some audio stuff in my build thread that may be helpful. Happy to answer any questions.

I also strongly recommend Crutchfield. Superb customer service & lifetime tech support.

zcruiser 01-14-2020 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesky 07 (Post 3424833)
Welcome. I had a Kenwood but just replaced it with a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX. It’s a great unit. Whatever you do, get CarPlay for sure and replace your factory speakers ASAP. I have some audio stuff in my build thread that may be helpful. Happy to answer any questions.

I also strongly recommend Crutchfield. Superb customer service & lifetime tech support.

Heartily second this. I installed a Kenwood and just couldn’t take it. Pulled it and replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC W6500NEX. Works great. Replaced my fronts with JBL’s.

Also highly recommend Crutchfield.

werk71 01-15-2020 12:09 AM

i put a 2019 8" touchscreen from lexus in my 2012 camry. i know they probably fit in the 4runner also.

Dirtrider216 01-15-2020 09:21 AM

If you're going all out, I would look into head units that are also compatible with maestro RR module for built in gauge functionality. I have one in my runner and I love it for having trans temp, coolant temp and I can also see/clear trouble codes. The maestro units can also take "built in" radar detectors so you would be- from my understanding- less in the legal gray area when it comes to those if its something you're interested in. I have the kenwood DMX905s which does have the maestro rr functionality and its a capacitive touch and it has 2 aux camera inputs so I run a front and rearview camera.

bkim7 01-15-2020 09:24 AM

Crutchfield

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcruiser (Post 3424838)
Heartily second this. I installed a Kenwood and just couldn’t take it. Pulled it and replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC W6500NEX. Works great. Replaced my fronts with JBL’s.

Also highly recommend Crutchfield.

I will also recomment Crutchfield. Great instructions and service and they make sure you get all the install gear to fit speakers and headunits. I ordered a Kenwood Excelon (non touch screen head unit) and install was seamless and I had all the correct parts needed. They also can connect the wire harness to the head unit, highly recommend this service as well as it's well worth the money. I opted for non touch screen as I mount my phone and prefer that as a "touch screen".

That_Titanium_4RNR 01-15-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtrider216 (Post 3424982)
If you're going all out, I would look into head units that are also compatible with maestro RR module for built in gauge functionality. I have one in my runner and I love it for having trans temp, coolant temp and I can also see/clear trouble codes. The maestro units can also take "built in" radar detectors so you would be- from my understanding- less in the legal gray area when it comes to those if its something you're interested in. I have the kenwood DMX905s which does have the maestro rr functionality and its a capacitive touch and it has 2 aux camera inputs so I run a front and rearview camera.

I wasn't able to get trans temp to show up on mine. How did you do it??

That_Titanium_4RNR 01-15-2020 10:54 AM

I run the Pioneer MVH-1400NEX I like how simple it is and not buggy at all.

mos2111 01-15-2020 11:02 AM

Im in the process of doing the same thing. Im have an aftermarket head with sub outputs, so no radio upgrade. I used crutch field to order speakers - they have all of them but the 2.75s you need for the front tweeters (if your going to amp them you will need the kenwoods- if you go through kenwoods site, you can find stocking dealers. Mine cost the same as crutchfield and shipped air 2 day for the same price) I went with kickers, as I like kicker or MTX. Crutchfield will include factory wiring adapters so that the only wires you have to mess with are the front tweeters. They also included aftermarket inserts for my speakers to ensure a proper fit. I chose to go with round front speakers as opposed to a 6x9 replacement based on my past experience, round speakers give better sound quality - my opinion. I suggest sound insulation like dynamat or noico from amazon. Your already going to have the doors apart so eliminate rattle and improve the sound quality. Im doing a powered 8 inch under the passenger seat later and will sound proof the floors when I have the seats out. I cant recommend crutchfield enough based on the extras, vehicle specific instructions and support/service angle.

Billynath1988 01-15-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtrider216 (Post 3424982)

How did you get trans temp?

xtremewlr 01-15-2020 01:49 PM

I'm looking for suggestions as well. My 03 Limited has the OEM JBL stereo system. Looking for something relatively inexpensive, with bluetooth functionality. Don't need CD capability, and being a 2003, Maestro RR functionality doesn't matter either since it's apparently not supported for my year, only 2005 and newer.

Juice88 01-15-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mos2111 (Post 3425049)
Im in the process of doing the same thing. Im have an aftermarket head with sub outputs, so no radio upgrade. I used crutch field to order speakers - they have all of them but the 2.75s you need for the front tweeters (if your going to amp them you will need the kenwoods- if you go through kenwoods site, you can find stocking dealers. Mine cost the same as crutchfield and shipped air 2 day for the same price) I went with kickers, as I like kicker or MTX. Crutchfield will include factory wiring adapters so that the only wires you have to mess with are the front tweeters. They also included aftermarket inserts for my speakers to ensure a proper fit. I chose to go with round front speakers as opposed to a 6x9 replacement based on my past experience, round speakers give better sound quality - my opinion. I suggest sound insulation like dynamat or noico from amazon. Your already going to have the doors apart so eliminate rattle and improve the sound quality. Im doing a powered 8 inch under the passenger seat later and will sound proof the floors when I have the seats out. I cant recommend crutchfield enough based on the extras, vehicle specific instructions and support/service angle.

Can you clarify what you meant here? Crutchfield won't have proper tweeters?