Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Fuel pump check valve? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/281770-fuel-pump-check-valve.html)

Hoye0017 01-14-2020 02:00 AM

Fuel pump check valve?

Hi everyone, I recently upgraded from a 3rd gen and I think I’m having some fuel pressure problems. I suspect it’s the check valve at the fuel pump. Does anyone know if the check valve is part of the pump itself or if it’s part of the complete fuel pump assembly? I’m hoping to have parts on hand before attempting the fix but I’m not sure what part I need.

Thanks for any help or advice

Johns06yota 01-14-2020 10:16 PM

theres a check valve in the pump when I pulled mine to upgrade but there is an o-ring that seals the pump against the plastic housing. It's possible that either the pump is bad, the o-ring is bad or the housing is cracked. If you find that its cracked you can always bypass the plastic housing and go directly to the port at the top with submersible safe fuel hose. some modification is required though.

Drcoffee 11-19-2021 09:15 AM

There is a fuel pressure damper on the fuel rail passenger rear side. Thats most likely the faulty part on the pressure side.

greasefingers 11-19-2021 08:17 PM

What are the symptoms that led you to believe that you have fuel pressure issues? No start issues, stalling, power loss, etc
The T4R is more difficult to diagnose fuel pressure issues as there is no pressure test port on the fuel rail; as there are in many vehicles. Without it then you are guessing. The cheapest speculation would be to replace the pressure regulator. If that does not solve it then I would personally replace the fuel pump. There is a pulsation dampener but that thing is confusing to me. Why is this needed if the pressure regulator is functioning correctly?

BlackWorksInc 05-01-2022 05:19 PM

Yeah, I am a little lost on why you think you need a fuel check valve?

The 4th gen uses the more modern Toyota style fuel pump assemblies and I honestly haven't really seen many of the check valves or bypasses in those fail; usually the pump just takes a shit either outright or intermittently.

What led you down this path my friend?