Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Curious leak from Sun glasses holder (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/281914-curious-leak-sun-glasses-holder.html)

Byte Me 01-17-2020 01:10 PM

Curious leak from Sun glasses holder

Wondering if anyone else has experience this - when it's really raining and I've been parked outside a couple times when I get in I noticed a bit of wetness in the cup holder area. When I started driving water streamed out of the corner of the sunglasses holder. The holder itself and my sunglasses within were dry. Once the majority of the water had poured onto my leg and cup holder area it was done dripping.

I'm assuming it's coming from the sunroof - perhaps a clogged drain tube?

Alternately it could be from a rust spot directly above the middle of the windshield I guess but I navel jellied that area after sanding and painted it - doesn't look like it rusted through.

Anyone else have an idea or experience with this?

cbailey1523 01-17-2020 02:01 PM

It's likely that it's coming from the sunroof. Put the sunroof all the way back and see what it looks like in there. Rust is the likely culprit. I had a Honda did that to me years ago.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DMX512 01-17-2020 03:05 PM

There are weep holes in the 4 corners of the sunroof.
GENTLY push some weed eater line from the sunroof down towards the ground. There are barbed coupling in line from my understanding.
I happened to have a large syringe that I could gently push some water through afterward to check that the line was clear.

Warwicke36 01-17-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMX512 (Post 3426559)
There are weep holes in the 4 corners of the sunroof.
GENTLY push some weed eater line from the sunroof down towards the ground. There are barbed coupling in line from my understanding.
I happened to have a large syringe that I could gently push some water through afterward to check that the line was clear.

This...

Or if you're like me and have access to shop air use that.

Byte Me 01-17-2020 05:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. Once it gets above single digit temps around here I'll give this a try and report back.

Spriter 01-17-2020 06:01 PM

I had this happen to me. In my 4runner i do NOT have a sunroof though.

The root cause for me was that the sealant between the windshield and the frame had rotted and began to rust the metal slightly (and this is where the water would collect, and eventually drip into the sun glass holder and finally on to the center console area once that filled).

In my case, the windshield had several cracks on the top side of it, so i had it replaced at the same time as I had it resealed.

That said, IF YOU HAVE A SUNROOF, check your drain hoses from the sunroof before looking into windshield seals as i understand those hoses are a common cause for water dripping in the cabin as you describe (but only if you have a sunroof)

Ive attached a photo here showing where the rust and the subsequent leak occurred (circled in photo).

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Byte Me 01-20-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spriter (Post 3426695)
I had this happen to me. In my 4runner i do NOT have a sunroof though.

The root cause for me was that the sealant between the windshield and the frame had rotted and began to rust the metal slightly (and this is where the water would collect, and eventually drip into the sun glass holder and finally on to the center console area once that filled).

In my case, the windshield had several cracks on the top side of it, so i had it replaced at the same time as I had it resealed.

That said, IF YOU HAVE A SUNROOF, check your drain hoses from the sunroof before looking into windshield seals as i understand those hoses are a common cause for water dripping in the cabin as you describe (but only if you have a sunroof)

Ive attached a photo here showing where the rust and the subsequent leak occurred (circled in photo).

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Ugh - that's what I'm afraid of. I've got rust along and under the rubber strip on the top of the windshield. Will try the drain hoses first but I fear this is what I'm dealing with as well.

Thanks,

Brian