Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Finding KDSS rigs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/281990-finding-kdss-rigs.html)

NativeTexan 01-18-2020 10:24 PM

Finding KDSS rigs

I thought I’d start a thread on this because it’s incredibly hard to find a new 4Runner if you live in the Gulf States Toyota region.

For some reason GST had literally zero rigs available with KDSS. From what I’ve gathered they just think no mountainous regions what this feature.

The cynical side to me wants to believe it’s so they can add pointless features at port to raise prices rather than have KDSS added. See the right column of any window sticker on a GST rig and you’ll see what I mean.

Anywho, the Rocky Mountain region (New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado & Utah) have an abundance of rigs with KDSS.

I found my new ‘20 ORP from Pueblo Toyota, who had 5 rigs, all WITH KDSS! I talked with Sam and Ryan there and they negotiated what I felt was a fair deal and helped transport the vehicle in an enclosed trailer down to me in Austin.

I think paying extra for the enclosed delivery is worth it and it’s been nice knowing that I found a rig with everything I wanted on it that was literally not available in 4-6 states to the north & east of Texas. But going West and Northwest they are in abundance.

So if you have a rig with KDSS in the Gulf States region you have a unicorn! : )

Oh and the Rocky Mountain region seems to add NO extra features on at port like GST does. You can tell this by looking at the far right column in a window sticker (mine was blank!). No protection, cables, or any other stuff that GST always adds and basically forces you to purchase.

Hope this helps someone else in their searches.

atx63bravo 01-18-2020 11:33 PM

I have a 2012 trail with KDSS and got it in San Antonio from a dealer who was selling it as a lifted SR5. They had no idea it was on there.

mteolus 01-18-2020 11:47 PM

When I was looking in 2017 Amarillo had one and that is it. I bought mine in Peoria, Az because it was cheaper than Amarillo. I just flew out and drove it back. Stayed in Tucson on the way back for a mini vacation. It is stupid Toyota doesn’t ship any to Gulf states unless it is a special order.

GX460s all have KDSS by the way but are usually 5 to 10 grand more expensive.

Space King 01-19-2020 05:18 AM

I understand what you're going through. However, in the end, it always distills down to two variables...patience or price. If you don't have much of the former, you'll spend much more on the latter.

wcjeep 01-19-2020 01:23 PM

Near Seattle finding one with kdss and sunroof delete was difficult. Took three separate boats from Japan before one arrived.

4FL 01-19-2020 05:35 PM

I live in Miami, bought mine while I was out of town on business in Virginia.

4powells 01-19-2020 07:45 PM

I live in Orlando I ordered mine because I wanted one without a sunroof. Ended up getting about 8% off MSRP. If you do find one on a lot and there are you’ll probably get a better deal than that but I was very specific about what I wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

STX4Runner 01-19-2020 08:35 PM

I think GS and SE Toyota are privately owned or something distributors and the rest are corporate. Hence the abundance of port add on garbage packages around here. I got mine with KDSS but it was used and KDSS was even more rare back then. Going just one or two states over to New Mexico, Arizona or Colorado seems like what several have done. Glad you could negotiate a fair deal and have it transported too.

LandCruiser 01-19-2020 11:53 PM

I have a 2013 Trail I bought from Hollywood, FL.

It was one of 5 TEs in SE Toyota's inventory at the time, of those 2 could still be ordered. I ordered the one without KDSS, but when it came to the dealer it magically grew the KDSS.

Dealer wanted me to buy a 4x2 SR5 and asked me why would I ever need the 4WD.

It spent most of its life in the mountains of CO and WY, this is its first winter in a warm climate.

I drove it to Hollywood, CA a few months ago just to complete its life cycle.

That's my random ass story of the week.

plefasu 01-20-2020 01:27 PM

It makes it difficult because most dealers and private sellers don't even list it as an included option. When I bought mine private party off CL it didn't list that it had KDSS but it had everything else I was looking for. It wasn't until i looked underneath while test driving that I saw it had KDSS.

HL4Runner 01-20-2020 04:03 PM

Didn’t want sunroof and KDSS wasn’t a must have for me. Shopped for 2 weeks in December... and stumbled upon my ‘20 ORP KDSS w/o sunroof. I think it’s the only one within 150 miles of NYC with such configuration. I was lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NativeTexan 01-21-2020 10:08 AM

GS and SE are privately controlled distributors.

They’re creation was part of Toyota’s deal to sell in America and not control the total supply of their product.

j7v3m 10-13-2020 10:04 AM

I am currently dealing with this right now. Never thought it would be this difficult to track down an ORP with KDSS in Austin, let alone Texas. I have my local dealership looking for one but I found several in New Mexico and Colorado. I may have also found one in El Paso. It may be time to take a little road trip to pick up a new vehicle and visit the mountains/unplug for a while... :-)

nb0221 10-13-2020 10:25 AM

Same is true of the northeast. And it’s incredibly frustrating trying to negotiate a deal several states away that involves a trade-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk