Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Is something wrong with my 4Runner? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/282118-something-wrong-my-4runner.html)

_westtexasrunner_ 01-22-2020 04:31 PM

Is something wrong with my 4Runner?

So I have a '16 TForce 4Runner, and I consistently get around 15 mpg in town and occasionally 17 ish on the highway. The TForce does have the roof rack and skid plate, but dang after reading other people's posts saying they get a lot better makes me wonder if something is up. Could the roof rack and skid plate make me lose ~5ish mgp? No misfiring cylinders, I have not lifted my vehicle, and I have Nitto Terra Grappler AT tires. Anyways, thanks in advance for the help.

Jivewalker 01-22-2020 04:38 PM

could be a lot of things, or normal. I get 18.8 no matter where I drive. Tire size? Pressure you run? Oil changes routinely? Miles on it? Diff fluid changes ever? Brakes free and not binding or stuck caliper? Sludge in engine from lack of oil changes? Couple of ideas there you could check.

maxp0wer 01-22-2020 04:44 PM

That's only slightly less than what I get, in a similar rig. Probably depends more on your driving habits and if you are loaded with people/stuff. Have you checked the air filter?

_westtexasrunner_ 01-22-2020 04:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I change the oil every 5k and put synthetic 0w20 in. Air filter is fine and I usually have my tires at ~35psi. IDK, could just be the aerodynamics of the vehicle. The 4Runner wasnt exactly designed for fuel efficiency and then add on vehicle mods. I will check my brakes later today.

02SE 01-22-2020 05:30 PM

What is a TForce 4Runner? Is that some sort of appearance package made up by Gulf States Toyota?

FWIW, I read your signature, then did a search to find out how old Ariana Grande is. It turns out she's 26. Barack Obama is 58.

I don't think Ariana Grande talked to little boy Obama, long before she was born.

Just saying...

Toffees 01-22-2020 05:55 PM

Didn't @Engineer or someone do a thread on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by _westtexasrunner_ (Post 3429519)
So I have a 4Runner, and I consistently get around 15 mpg in town and occasionally 17 ish on the highway... does have the roof rack and skid plate... and I have Nitto Terra Grappler AT tires. Anyways, thanks in advance for the help.

That's normal. Take the 4Runner, add driving environment, driver, drag inducing installs, and heavy tires and 15/17 is a normal output.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02SE (Post 3429590)
What is a TForce 4Runner? Is that some sort of appearance package made up by Gulf States Toyota?

yes, it's a Gulf States package. SE does something similar like the XP package or something.

badattitude 01-22-2020 06:12 PM

Winter gas doesn't help. I drop 2-3 mpgs this time of year. The summer gas formula is better for MPG. Currently getting 17.4mpg per the computer

SoCalRunner 01-22-2020 06:49 PM

Driving habits

When i drive the truck i get 17-19 mpg, when my wife drives, it goes down to 13-15mpg.

nimby 01-22-2020 06:59 PM

When I lived in Southern California, I would regularly get 16mpg driving city/highway up to 75-80mph.

Now that I live on the Central Coast of California, I get around 19mpg. The speed limit here is 55mph most places I drive and I rarely go above 65mph.

alphabeast 01-22-2020 07:15 PM

TForce is affecting your gas mileage...

euser 01-22-2020 07:18 PM

15-18 is what I usually get. The only time I get in the 20s is cruising at around 55-60, over that it drops to around 16-17. I just took a 5,000 mile road trip where I averaged 17. At least until it got super windy, then it was 15.5-16 going 75mph with my Thule box.

cb1111 01-22-2020 07:54 PM

You also have to remember that everybody else on the internet gets amazing gas mileage and paid far less than you did.

But you do need to fix your signature line. Regardless of how you may have meant it, it makes you sound like an idiot.

Engineer 01-22-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toffees (Post 3429610)
Didn't @Engineer or someone do a thread on this?

That's normal. Take the 4Runner, add driving environment, driver, drag inducing installs, and heavy tires and 15/17 is a normal output.

yes, it's a Gulf States package. SE does something similar like the XP package or something.

Maybe one of the other nerds but it wasn't me that I recall. :)

Not sure where the OP is seeing folks getting 20mpg around town, i'd really want to see that data as I am normally around 12.5-13.5 but thats with all the mods, 100% intown driving and its cold, sits outside and I warm it up often so not really relevant to anyone else but me.

thennen 01-22-2020 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineer (Post 3429712)
Maybe one of the other nerds but it wasn't me that I recall. :)

Not sure where the OP is seeing folks getting 20mpg around town, i'd really want to see that data as I am normally around 12.5-13.5 but thats with all the mods, 100% intown driving and its cold, sits outside and I warm it up often so not really relevant to anyone else but me.

I got my 2019 TRDOR in October 2018. It's stock, and consistently averages 21.8 mpg. I did notice a drop to 21.5 this winter (winter gas?). The only thing I can think of that keeps me there is that I drive with a light foot. I don't drive slowly, just accelerate slowly if nobody is behind me. And a good bit of it is country roads/freeways - only some city driving. That may be the other big contributor.

spartacus 01-22-2020 10:33 PM

Driving so the eco light stays on gives better milage. keeping the speed around 60mph and keeping a light throttle. It takes a hit when going up mountain passes.