Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Crooked Front Plate - Should I Care How They Fixed It? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/282416-crooked-front-plate-should-i-care-how-they-fixed.html)

safaristeve 01-30-2020 11:33 PM

Crooked Front Plate - Should I Care How They Fixed It?

After picking up my new 2019 4Runner I noticed that the front plate bracket was about 1/8" higher on one side than the other. I finally took it in a few weeks ago and the service writer and a tech walking by started trying to fix it themselves. They got it straight (to their surprise too) but only after drilling a second hole in my bumper.

The hole is hidden, but it's annoying that they were mangling the bumper of my new car and I've moved to a no-front plate state more than once and removed brackets when I did.

The sales manager offered me a "couple hundred in gift cards" to make up for it and then said he would also cover the $99 alignment that they were denying under warranty because of my TRD wheels and Falken tires. I got the gift card in the mail today and it's for $50.

Should I push this, or is it something I should just accept? Is it reasonable to expect extra hidden holes added to my new car? The gift card seemed reasonable, but I'm more annoyed now that they said a couple hundred to my face and then mailed me $50 after I was gone.

ryguytheman 01-31-2020 01:12 AM

Make them give you a new trd pro black bumper valence. Cheap enough for them, and you get to cover up the holes with a fancy "upgrade" if you choose.

I wouldn't be happy with more holes drilled than necessary.

delloro 01-31-2020 02:23 AM

Agreed. Hold them to a satisfactory fix. The gift card sounds like a low-ball insult.

Brownfaux 01-31-2020 05:52 AM

I fail to see how they are denying an alignment based on wheels and tires. I would imagine it’s for some other reason other than solely wheels and tires. If not, that’s a bunch of crap.

As far as the crooked plate, how else would they have fixed it? If it was crooked, then obviously it’s going to take a new hole somewhere to make it straight. If they are the ones that slapped it on crooked the first place then yeah they should hook you up. If they “fixed it” then I think part of that’s on you for not asking how they would fix it. I don’t see another reasonable way to fix such a problem.

And this has actually happened to me on a VW I owned. The holes were covered by the plate, oh well, I just let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky 01-31-2020 06:25 AM

It is disappointing how such simple things are screwed up by dealers.
Bought a new Ford in a neighboring state that required a front plate, my state doesn't.
So a couple of months later I decided to remove it, knowing there would be 3 holes to plug.
Removed it and there are 4 1/2 holes....
How does one screw up something so simple?

Luckily I bought my T4R locally and they did not attempt to put a front plate holder on it and gave it to me in it's bag.

08TxRunner 01-31-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownfaux (Post 3434334)
As far as the crooked plate, how else would they have fixed it? If it was crooked, then obviously it’s going to take a new hole somewhere to make it straight. If they are the ones that slapped it on crooked the first place then yeah they should hook you up. If they “fixed it” then I think part of that’s on you for not asking how they would fix it. I don’t see another reasonable way to fix such a problem.

I wonder if they could have simply slotted the bracket rather than drilling new holes in the bumper cover.

badattitude 01-31-2020 10:25 AM

Awful, make them give you a new valance. Not ok to drill holes in a new truck without asking. Especially because you're out of state. They need to respect new vehicles more. Dealers suck.

Do you have Limited or SR5?

From here just ask for more gift cards, enough to get a new valance or bumper cover locally. Then up to you if you accept holes and do somthing else with gift card.

Where is gift card to/from? Surely not only good at out of state dealer.

vipergrhd 01-31-2020 10:30 AM

Call Corporate office

Call Toyota customer care and tell them how unhappy you are with your new 4runner due to poor service. What's wrong with the alignment? That should be covered if you are the original owner and those wheels and tires came with it.

safaristeve 01-31-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownfaux (Post 3434334)
I fail to see how they are denying an alignment based on wheels and tires. I would imagine it’s for some other reason other than solely wheels and tires. If not, that’s a bunch of crap.

And this has actually happened to me on a VW I owned. The holes were covered by the plate, oh well, I just let it go.

I was questioning the alignment reason and the service writer was telling me “our tech explained it but it’s complicated. Let’s go talk to him.” The tech’s explanation was basically “You changed the wheels and tires. We can’t prove the wheels and tires didn’t cause it.” He said Toyota would fight it for that reason. We went in circles for a few minutes and didn’t get anywhere.

I sent an email to the dealership when I noticed the crooked bracket (they installed it), expressed my concern about possible extra holes and how it would be fixed, and asked if their body shop could look at it. I was told to stop by service and have them look. The service writer unscrewed the bracket to look and the next thing I knew there was another hole.

Blue 4ever Runner 01-31-2020 10:40 AM

Same thing with my '19 SR5. I noticed it the first time I washed it. I just took it off and drilled another hole myself. Yeah it sucks that they can't get something so simple right and no I shouldn't have to be putting another hole in a brand new bumper cover but in the scheme of things it's a pretty small problem. If I ever move to a no front plate state is there really a difference if I have to figure out a way to cover 3 holes instead of 2? Not really. I'll probably just put a novelty plate on and call it a day.
What sucks for the OP is that the dealer lied about the gift cards but I'm not surprised by that. For the most part, dealers suck.

safaristeve 01-31-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue 4ever Runner (Post 3434412)
Same thing with my '19 SR5. I noticed it the first time I washed it. I just took it off and drilled another hole myself. Yeah it sucks that they can't get something so simple right and no I shouldn't have to be putting another hole in a brand new bumper cover but in the scheme of things it's a pretty small problem. If I ever move to a no front plate state is there really a difference if I have to figure out a way to cover 3 holes instead of 2? Not really. I'll probably just put a novelty plate on and call it a day.
What sucks for the OP is that the dealer lied about the gift cards but I'm not surprised by that. For the most part, dealers suck.

With my last car when I moved it was riveted on and I was able to drill out the rivets and use plugs, but they were symmetrical. Three of them in random places would just look weird. I would have fixed it myself, but I wanted it on them if it went wrong.

I accepted that it happened and don’t want a new bumper (it’s an SR5 so no valence to easily replace) and the sales manager made it clear he wasn’t paying for a bumper without me even asking. It’s mostly the gift card lie that I’m mad about now, but it makes me question the situation again.

Muzzle of Bees 01-31-2020 11:23 AM

I always mount them myself. Just ask for the screws. They do offer to install the holder and plates, but I know better.

Reinout 01-31-2020 11:29 AM

I get why the dealer did it how they did and I understand why you'd be upset as well. You could chase after Toyota and the dealer on it and get a new bumper but how much more aggravation and your time will that take up?

My wife makes that point when I try to get rid of something on Offerup for $5, She says, "why? at that point how much time are you spending on something worth $5? Donate it, buhbye". Of course this is a pricier item.

If I was the tech I would have made a suggestion such as an insert. You'd have to lower one hole and raise the other just a smidge (techical measurement) to align them but you'd have a pretty stock looking mount. PLUS, when you inevitably strip out one of the screws you can replace the mount.

https://www.jeepcherokeeclub.com/med...erts.9209/full

rushrunner 01-31-2020 11:36 AM

Just move to a state that does not require a front license plate. :thumb3:

Dynamo 01-31-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees (Post 3434433)
I always mount them myself. Just ask for the screws. They do offer to install the holder and plates, but I know better.

Same here, in fact I just installed mine last night as my plates arrived. It wasn't hard to install it straight. Wish we didn't have to have front plates but oh well, I don't want to attract any unwanted attention.