Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Steering wheel vibration (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/282491-steering-wheel-vibration.html)

Ludachrisx8 02-01-2020 11:48 PM

Steering wheel vibration

Hi All,

I’m getting minor but noticeable steering wheels vibration from 55-70mph. I recently added 265/70r17 Falken wildpeak AT3w on new Rrw rr4v 17x9 wheels. America's Tire here in SoCal has rebalanced it twice. They performed a road force balance twice and I’m still getting a minor shake in my steering wheel at that speed. Not sure what else it could be. Would an alignment help? The shop doesn’t think it’s the alignment and now believe the wheels are the problem. I find that hard to believe. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I’m running bilstein 5100 1.75 up front with stock springs.

Thanks!

00Sebby 02-01-2020 11:54 PM

Switch the front wheels to the back vice versa to see if it changes anything. You will usually feel back wheel issues through the seat and front wheel issues through the steering wheel.

LIT4R 02-01-2020 11:55 PM

I am pretty sure there is a long thread about this somewhere ... and another one with a poll. I think one thread has the exact same name. It is quite common.

Notwithstanding all that, my stock suspension and tires 2018 TRDOR has the same thing. Only thing changed was my OR wheels to TRD wheels. Two road-force balances helped, but it came back. I live with it.

Ludachrisx8 02-02-2020 12:04 AM

You’re right. I will continue to search. Nevertheless, thank you the quick response. I have no choice but to live with it or go back to stock. Lol!

ForRun 02-02-2020 12:08 AM

If your shop won't order new tires talk to corporate office. If it didn't do it prior its the tires. If the wheel is bent now, tire shop did it

Mudballz 02-02-2020 09:18 AM

Any changes from stock and that’ll happen I tamed mine with some tire pressures and you really have to rotate for it to smooth out :car:
Mike

kenwilliams0803 02-02-2020 09:41 AM

Falken Wildpeaks did that to me. Took 3 tries to get them balanced when they were new. Halfway through their life I had to get them rebelanced and that time it took 2 tries. And the kicker? I cant rotate them because one of the rears took an extraordinary amount of weight and it's still not perfect. The cupping and noise doesn't bother me too much though because they are still at half tread with over 30k on them.

propain 02-02-2020 10:30 AM

It's a tire balance issue. You need to get your wheels/tires road force balanced. It's different than regular tire balancing. Call a few tire shops and ask if they do road force balancing. Get all 4 of them done. The shop that did your road force balance probably don't know what they're doing. Go to a tire shop. It's not an alignment issue. Let them know your front vibrates between 50-70mph.

kenwilliams0803 02-02-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propain (Post 3435508)
It's a tire balance issue. You need to get your wheels/tires road force balanced. It's different than regular tire balancing. Call a few tire shops and ask if they do road force balancing. Get all 4 of them done. The shop that did your road force balance probably don't know what they're doing. Go to a tire shop. It's not an alignment issue. Let them know your front vibrates between 50-70mph.

Agreed. Half the places that have them don't even have a guy trained well enough to use it correctly.

Ludachrisx8 02-02-2020 01:26 PM

I appreciate your guys help. My next steps is to take it back to America’s tire and have them realign the tires so that the valve stem lines up with the red dot (heaviest part of tire) on the side wall of tire. Do another road force balance and all wheels. If that doesn’t correct the issue I will go to another reputable shop and Hope to get an experience technician to balance these tires.

Thank you again for all the advise!

kenwilliams0803 02-02-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludachrisx8 (Post 3435584)
I appreciate your guys help. My next steps is to take it back to America’s tire and have them realign the tires so that the valve stem lines up with the red dot (heaviest part of tire) on the side wall of tire. Do another road force balance and all wheels. If that doesn’t correct the issue I will go to another reputable shop and Hope to get an experience technician to balance these tires.

Thank you again for all the advise!

Bear in mind that the dot is a starting point and the whole idea of the road force balance is to then spin the tire on the wheel to eliminate most of the road force readout by matching the needed tire position more exactly than just using the dot. Meaning the dot is a good starting point but don't be surprised if when they get done, it's not aligned anymore.

seatia 02-02-2020 07:10 PM

Since you have already had failed balancing attempts, I suggest it's time to have the tire dealer use a dial indicator on the rims for runout. If they are true then check the tires themselves for runout.
Apparently others have had runout issues and had the tires replaced.

If the tires do not run true, it is very difficult to get them vibration free.

Erbing 02-07-2020 06:37 AM

I had the vibration between 60-65mph, 5100s at 1.75 front. at3w 285-70-17. I lifted up to 3" with dobinsons spring still using 5100s and same tire. no more vibration. I want to upgrade my suspension to fox 2.5 resi but i'm worried the vibration might come back. When I do upgrade, I'll try keep the measurements as close as possible to what it is now.