Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   CV Axle Experts needed (VIDEO) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/282568-cv-axle-experts-needed-video.html)

SolRayz 02-04-2020 06:41 PM

CV Axle Experts needed (VIDEO)

In my ongoing attempt to solve driveline vibrations, I'm down to CV's. Can anyone verify whether the slop/wobble on the driver side CV is normal? Passenger side seems tight. Also if I reach in and push up and down on the driver side inner CV there some up and down movement, not terrible, maybe less than a 1/16 inch. Passenger side no movement. Rattling sound in the videos is my skidplate.

Driver Side
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GjP3ScNp5rE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Passenger Side
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BoI0SORG0og" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

radlynx 02-04-2020 07:35 PM

I don't think it's the CV.

radlynx 02-04-2020 07:36 PM

I can see the bottom cover vibrating.

xtremewlr 02-04-2020 07:37 PM

I don't see any issues with either side.

What kind of vibration are you feeling?

SolRayz 02-04-2020 07:59 PM

I have the infamous harmonic rhom rhom rhom vibration between 70-75mph (around 2100rpm) while accelerating. I can feel vibrations in the gas pedal and on the floorboard beneath my left foot only. There are no abnormal noises when accel, stopping, or turning. Its only vibrations at highway speed.

The wheel bearings seem fine, no play or noise. U-joints on the driveshaft maybe? The slight driver side CV wobble possibly?

I've replaced left and right front and rear suspension
Both LCA's
Both Inner and Outer Tie Rods
Swaybar endlinks and bushings
4x firestone Destination AT/2 Tires
Balanced and rotated twice, last being at Toyota
Alignment at Toyota.
Both Diffs, Trans, and Transmission drain and filled within the last month

Truck drives smooth otherwise. I've been researching this for a month, and throughout the forums, nothing has been conclusive on this harmonic accel vibration. :frusty:

phatcheeks 02-04-2020 08:24 PM

Ive heard some people have a sound from the front diff that goes away in 4wd. They end up replacing some bearing with a sleeve. Forgot what it was/called. Some 5th gens have the problem too.

xtremewlr 02-04-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolRayz (Post 3436507)
I have the infamous harmonic rhom rhom rhom vibration between 70-75mph (around 2100rpm) while accelerating. I can feel vibrations in the gas pedal and on the floorboard beneath my left foot only. There are no abnormal noises when accel, stopping, or turning. Its only vibrations at highway speed.

The wheel bearings seem fine, no play or noise. U-joints on the driveshaft maybe? The slight driver side CV wobble possibly?

I've replaced left and right front and rear suspension
Both LCA's
Both Inner and Outer Tie Rods
Swaybar endlinks and bushings
4x firestone Destination AT/2 Tires
Balanced and rotated twice, last being at Toyota
Alignment at Toyota.
Both Diffs, Trans, and Transmission drain and filled within the last month

Truck drives smooth otherwise. I've been researching this for a month, and throughout the forums, nothing has been conclusive on this harmonic accel vibration. :frusty:

I question the tires.

SolRayz 02-04-2020 08:37 PM

Not the tires. This was happening on my old Toyo AT's. These Firestone's are brand new.

xtremewlr 02-04-2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolRayz (Post 3436522)
Not the tires. This was happening on my old Toyo AT's. These Firestone's are brand new.

Front driveshaft then. Check the ujoints and slip joint for play. If none, grease the shit outta them.

montijo505 02-04-2020 10:44 PM

The bearing in the diff mentioned above is the needle bearing in the front diff. ECGS sells the bearing and tool. Easy job. Plenty of write ups on how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SolRayz 02-04-2020 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremewlr (Post 3436580)
Front driveshaft then. Check the ujoints and slip joint for play. If none, grease the shit outta them.

I'll be crawling under and checking those next weekend.

SolRayz 02-04-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montijo505 (Post 3436591)
The bearing in the diff mentioned above is the needle bearing in the front diff. ECGS sells the bearing and tool. Easy job. Plenty of write ups on how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're talking about
TOYOTA 8" CLAMSHELL CV AXLE BUSHING

this is for non AWD models which counts me out.

That_Titanium_4RNR 02-05-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolRayz (Post 3436522)

Have you ever tried different rims? Like a whole different set of tires and rims? Just to see if there is any difference?

gfxcruncher 02-05-2020 12:26 PM

subd. I think I have the same issue happening

Drunner97 02-05-2020 07:42 PM

It's probably a wheel bearing. They can look perfectly fine on the outside but still be slowly self destructing on the inside. For what it's worth, same exact symptoms that I had a few years ago. Replaced both bearings and everything went back to normal.