Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2021 Trail Editions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/282632-2021-trail-editions.html)

mideastbeast61 02-06-2020 01:49 AM

2021 Trail Editions

I just saw these links go live! Looks like a money grab by Toyota... but also I don’t know why I don’t hate it. Might sell pretty well

Toyota Brings Back Trail Edition for 2021 4Runner, Tacoma, Tundra

ForRun 02-06-2020 02:00 AM

Looks like a 2020 venture model. I think it's a Yakama rack. Nothing really new?

JsinLegacy 02-06-2020 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForRun (Post 3437432)
Looks like a 2020 venture model. I think it's a Yakama rack. Nothing really new?

Based off the SR5 models. Only 4000 4Runners made. Has the Yakima basket and comes with a cooler.

Also available in Army Green, Cement, Midnight Black, and Super White.

Nothing too exciting, nice that you can get some of the trd pro colors with it though.

00Sebby 02-06-2020 02:15 AM

Nice colors but none of the old Trail Edition substance in terms of off-road modes, locking diff, etc. I will stick with my ORP that I ordered.

onaquest 02-06-2020 03:00 AM

"The 4Runner Trail has 17-inch dark gray TRD wheels, a Yakima LoadWarrior rooftop cargo basket, and a custom 40-quart cooler with a sliding trunk tray.

The 4Runner Trail's cooler can come color matched in Cement or Army Green, but on Midnight Black and Super White trucks, the cooler choice is Cement."

I do love oem+ items.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...1580936755.jpg
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...1580936755.jpg

EZBR. 02-06-2020 03:44 AM

Sweeeeeet! Now i wont sound like an idiot when I tell people I drive a 2014 trail edition.... lol non toyota ppl are like "huh? what's that? I thought it was SR5, Limit or TRD"... lol

I'm really starting to dig the Yakima roof basket..... and the cooler is 'cool' :)

mynameistory 02-06-2020 04:21 AM

Just when you thought Toyota couldn't get any lazier.

houlds 02-06-2020 05:08 AM

Well things just got interesting with Toyota releasing Cement on the SR5 trim.

Space King 02-06-2020 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houlds (Post 3437465)
Well things just got interesting with Toyota releasing Cement on the SR5 trim.

I was thinking the same thing. I figure the next move will be to start calling the 2WD models the SR5 Trail Limited. "Because once you get it out on the trail... you'll find it to be quite limited."

Matze 02-06-2020 08:04 AM

good Job by the Toyota marketing department, now there is two trim lines that can’t offer much more but a great color.

SlickTRD 02-06-2020 08:16 AM

The Cement color will sell like hotcakes.

Mikey2020 02-06-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickTRD (Post 3437482)

I agree cement will be a huge seller. Same with army green. Still no third row option I bet, since they all have the sliding cargo tray. Annoying.

Still crazy to me you cant get a third row throughout the trims. And now they finally have better colors in a trim you can get a third row, but still don't offer it.

I've been a Toyota fan boy for so long, but they are testing my patience with thier lack of innovation, and inability to configure vehicles the way you want.

IMO it would be the best thing ever for Toyota to make a legit Baja vehicle out of the 4runner, akin to the ford raptor with a performance engine. Trd pros are great, but a upgraded engine with them would be the perfect rig. Or I would just settle for a V8.

Matze 02-06-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mynameistory (Post 3437459)
Just when you thought Toyota couldn't get any lazier.

Just you wait until the nature edition got released. With plenty of nothing special but a toilet seat for the hitch

progress4m 02-06-2020 10:36 AM

Toyota just trying to milk more money out the legendary, elusive and the only true “Trail” edition that were made in 2010-13… :peep:

I can not say I blame them as it is easy money… (there's a sucker born every minute) ... of course people who “know” will never try to compare it to the original one: "2010-13 Trail"… LOL…

DMC12Runner 02-06-2020 11:03 AM

Honestly, this annoys me to no end. We got an Army Green TRD Pro and waited 6 months to get it because it is the color my wife had to have. Plus, we thought it would be cool to have a rare color on a rare trim. WE certainly did not need a TRD Pro since she will never off-road it. I'm sure some Cement owners are annoyed too. I thought the TRD Pro for each year was exclusive to that trim only. Not anymore apparently. Proof Toyota knows they need a major update to their line when they start offering the exclusive colors on the lower trims. Dodge has done the same with their ancient Charger/Challenger. I wonder what the TRD Pro "exclusive color" will be for 2021. If you miss out, you'll be able to get it across the board for 2022...

gjcarving 02-06-2020 11:12 AM

I was hoping for an Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, or REI edition myself...

Mikey2020 02-06-2020 11:15 AM

I bet Toyota gets another 5 years out of this gen with new branding with different accessories.

2022 survival edition will come with a first aid kit
2023 tactical edition will come with a wooden club
2024 hydro edition will come with a 5gal water jug
Etc
Etc
Etc

I'm only KINDA joking. The more I think about it, this is just a SR5 with a Toyota branded yeti cooler and a roof rack.

Having said all that, If it had a third row though, I would have bought it cuz I'm a sucker for those colors.

Jetboy 02-06-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey2020 (Post 3437487)
IMO it would be the best thing ever for Toyota to make a legit Baja vehicle out of the 4runner, akin to the ford raptor with a performance engine. Trd pros are great, but a upgraded engine with them would be the perfect rig. Or I would just settle for a V8.

Toyota's probably thinking; "WTF do you guys want? To win the desert races by wider margins?"
Tundra won the Baja 1000.
The 4Runner took 2nd place.
The Raptor has only finished before the time cutoff once and never ended on the podium.
The Tacoma beat the Raptor head to head in the Mint 400.

But also - I agree. If a v8 is too much to ask, I'd love to have at least just have a modern engine and transmission. Is that too much to ask? Fawk - just let us have 6th gear in the transmission we already have! It's already physically inside there. Put some 4.30 diffs in and the 6 speed valve body and open up the 6th gear for highway cruising.

Oh - and if a Bronco comes stock with 35" tires and a Wrangler can bolt them on with no mods, Toyota has got to get their shit together in the tire clearance department.

Mikey2020 02-06-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetboy (Post 3437581)
Toyota's probably thinking; "WTF do you guys want? To win the desert races by wider margins?"
Tundra won the Baja 1000.
The 4Runner took 2nd place.
The Raptor has only finished before the time cutoff once and never ended on the podium.
The Tacoma beat the Raptor head to head in the Mint 400.

But also - I agree. If a v8 is too much to ask, I'd love to have at least just have a modern engine and transmission. Is that too much to ask? Fawk - just let us have 6th gear in the transmission we already have! It's already physically inside there. Put some 4.30 diffs in and the 6 speed valve body and open up the 6th gear for highway cruising.

Oh - and if a Bronco comes stock with 35" tires and a Wrangler can bolt them on with no mods, Toyota has got to get their shit together in the tire clearance department.

Difference is you can buy a pretty closely Baja spec'd raptor, you can't buy Baja 4runner or tundra. The drivetrain is what is missing.

From what I read, the tacoma redesign has a different engine transmission and is universally hated. Since the 4runner and the Tacoma are close siblings, I'm super worried that is what we will get.

I agree the bronco may really be a game changer, hopefully sets a fire under Toyota.

Jetboy 02-06-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey2020 (Post 3437588)
Difference is you can buy a pretty closely Baja spec'd raptor, you can't buy Baja 4runner or tundra. The drivetrain is what is missing.

From what I read, the tacoma redesign has a different engine transmission and is universally hated. Since the 4runner and the Tacoma are close siblings, I'm super worried that is what we will get.

I agree the bronco may really be a game changer, hopefully sets a fire under Toyota.

Well... the Raptor that Ford raced had the cab cut in half, the cage put in, and then re-assembled to meet Baja safety specs. The Toyota's were installed in place. They all have to have OEM suspension links and such, so the main difference is that the Raptor was put back together with a higher level of effort to resemble an OEM setup. Either way - the raptor just isn't very well built for actual race conditions design wise. It's not the suspension that mostly held it back. It's transmission failures, turbo failures, broken drive shafts that were poorly designed, broken shock mounts (also poor engineering), etc. But it's a fair point that it's a lot closer out of the box in terms of suspension and tires than the Toyota models. I mean - Toyota practically puts the same tire on their "off road" models as they do on the Camry. I suspect the ford bronco raptor version will - at least on paper- be very capable if they're going to put a turbo v6 and 35" tires on it.

As far as the engine goes, my parents have a 2019 tacoma. It shares essentially the same engine/transmission with my RX350. It's perfectly fine in the Tacoma, but feels very peppy in the RX. In all honesty the RX tows my camper better than my 4Runner. The chassis isn't really as good, but the drive train is noticeably better. Still tow with the 4Runner, but I'm not sure I have a great reason for doing it other than it feels more like a truck. The two key differences are tune and that the RX has 4.40 diffs while the Tacoma has 3.73. The 3.5L v6 is much smoother, quieter, and produces great power delivery when it's tuned appropriately for the vehicle and geared correctly. Not sure why it's it's tuned to be so sluggish in the Tacoma and why Toyota didn't take the gearing seriously. The Tacoma could be so much better with zero additional manufacturing costs. Just swap the ECU tune to the one already used in the RX/IS/GS and put the 4.30 diffs from the MT version in the AT. Problem solved.

With the 5 speed I didn't like 4.56 gears. They were too low for comfortable highway cruising with only the 5AT and the old 4.0. It's just not well and has a relatively long stroke so it doesn't like to run at high rpms. The 3.5 is a much more free revving engine. So it's nice and smooth at 3500 rpms where the 4.0 feels like you're killing it. If you didn't have a tach in the RX you'd never know it was even there. With a 6AT I'd probably go even lower. Ideally we'd get the 8 or 10 speeds. They cover the entire range of needs. 5.5:1 first gear and a double over drive.

Mikey2020 02-06-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetboy (Post 3437604)
Well... the Raptor that Ford raced had the cab cut in half, the cage put in, and then re-assembled to meet Baja safety specs. The Toyota's were installed in place. They all have to have OEM suspension links and such, so the main difference is that the Raptor was put back together with a higher level of effort to resemble an OEM setup. Either way - the raptor just isn't very well built for actual race conditions design wise. It's not the suspension that mostly held it back. It's transmission failures, turbo failures, broken drive shafts that were poorly designed, broken shock mounts (also poor engineering), etc. But it's a fair point that it's a lot closer out of the box in terms of suspension and tires than the Toyota models. I mean - Toyota practically puts the same tire on their "off road" models as they do on the Camry. I suspect the ford bronco raptor version will - at least on paper- be very capable if they're going to put a turbo v6 and 35" tires on it.

As far as the engine goes, my parents have a 2019 tacoma. It shares essentially the same engine/transmission with my RX350. It's perfectly fine in the Tacoma, but feels very peppy in the RX. In all honesty the RX tows my camper better than my 4Runner. The chassis isn't really as good, but the drive train is noticeably better. Still tow with the 4Runner, but I'm not sure I have a great reason for doing it other than it feels more like a truck. The two key differences are tune and that the RX has 4.40 diffs while the Tacoma has 3.73. The 3.5L v6 is much smoother, quieter, and produces great power delivery when it's tuned appropriately for the vehicle and geared correctly. Not sure why it's it's tuned to be so sluggish in the Tacoma and why Toyota didn't take the gearing seriously. The Tacoma could be so much better with zero additional manufacturing costs. Just swap the ECU tune to the one already used in the RX/IS/GS and put the 4.30 diffs from the MT version in the AT. Problem solved.

With the 5 speed I didn't like 4.56 gears. They were too low for comfortable highway cruising with only the 5AT and the old 4.0. It's just not well and has a relatively long stroke so it doesn't like to run at high rpms. The 3.5 is a much more free revving engine. So it's nice and smooth at 3500 rpms where the 4.0 feels like you're killing it. If you didn't have a tach in the RX you'd never know it was even there. With a 6AT I'd probably go even lower. Ideally we'd get the 8 or 10 speeds. They cover the entire range of needs. 5.5:1 first gear and a double over drive.

Thanks for the insight. My main issue with the 4runner is it feels like you are gunning it everywhere, and just keeping up with traffic. But for the reasons you mentioned, maybe the right V6 with proper gearing, and transmission would solve some of the woes.

And i agree, the raptor isn't exactly known for its reliabilty, either in races or on the street. I hear tons of people have major engine issues regarding cam phasers and have to have engine rebuilds early on, something you never really hear about with 4runners.

drewsro 02-06-2020 12:14 PM

So Toyota is finally going the route the Tacoma's did with bringing the exclusive colors to other trims after the fact? I'm sure this will go over will with TRD Pro owners...

Jetboy 02-06-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey2020 (Post 3437627)
Thanks for the insight. My main issue with the 4runner is it feels like you are gunning it everywhere, and just keeping up with traffic. But for the reasons you mentioned, maybe the right V6 with proper gearing, and transmission would solve some of the woes.

It might not sound like it, but I really do agree with you. The 4Runner and the new Tacoma aren't well sorted vehicles in the engine/transmission/gearing department. They need some modernizing and I don't know why Toyota is sitting on their hands for so damn long. The 4.0 and 5AT was pretty great in 2002 when it first hit the show room floors. The 2010 update was pretty nice at the time too.

But here we are now another decade later and you can buy a turbo I6 diesel Tahoe that gets 30mpg and a Rav4 that has 302hp and gets 40mpg. And Toyota's answer for a new version of the 4Runner is painting an SR5 gray and putting a cooler in the back?!? And making a very confusing naming convention. That's just not good enough anymore.

That_Titanium_4RNR 02-06-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by progress4m (Post 3437555)
Toyota just trying to milk more money out the legendary, elusive and the only true “Trail” edition that were made in 2010-13… :peep:

I can not say I blame them as it is easy money… (there's a sucker born every minute) ... of course people who “know” will never try to compare it to the original one: "2010-13 Trail"… LOL…

4th gens had "trail editions" as well, in 2009.

Mikey2020 02-06-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetboy (Post 3437639)
It might not sound like it, but I really do agree with you. The 4Runner and the new Tacoma aren't well sorted vehicles in the engine/transmission/gearing department. They need some modernizing and I don't know why Toyota is sitting on their hands for so damn long. The 4.0 and 5AT was pretty great in 2002 when it first hit the show room floors. The 2010 update was pretty nice at the time too.

But here we are now another decade later and you can buy a turbo I6 diesel Tahoe that gets 30mpg and a Rav4 that has 302hp and gets 40mpg. And Toyota's answer for a new version of the 4Runner is painting an SR5 gray and putting a cooler in the back?!? And making a very confusing naming convention. That's just not good enough anymore.

I haven't got to the point of buying non Toyota vehicles.... Yet.

I didn't realize some of the points you brought up about the Lexus vs Tacoma, and it baffles me that they would supress any performance out of the Tacoma. I think they are not catering toward thier market.

Maybe the rav4 prime will pave the way for the future, combining power and efficiency. But I never thought I'd say this, I am somewhat disappointed with my new 4runner, which I really wanted to love, and the way Toyota seems to be heading. I don't currently see it as a keep it 10-15 year type car for the performance reasons stated earlier.

What I want, Toyota doesn't offer (and other manufacturers don't really either). A performance based SUV, off road capable, third row SUV. Good combo of fun and exhilaration, but still does an alright job hauling family around. The 4runner is the closest to that, which is why I bought it.

The 4runner could be all of this, and corner the market, and only needs to try a little bit harder. All the parts are there, just put it together Toyota!

BADCLOWN 02-06-2020 12:55 PM

IMO, those trail editions don't look great at all. Kind of a chintzy they are adding all those "options" in order to give it the cool factor needed to make it more appealing to buyers. A cooler, rack/basket, and the stupid rear slider tray would not attract me enough to a vehicle. Whoever said Toyota was being lazy, you're 100% right.

We should have gotten a diesel T4R ages ago, it would be amazing to get that in TRDP trim.

Jivewalker 02-06-2020 01:07 PM

Not a real TE, doesn't have a hood scoop.

NW.OH.T4R 02-06-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey2020 (Post 3437659)
I haven't got to the point of buying non Toyota vehicles.... Yet.

I didn't realize some of the points you brought up about the Lexus vs Tacoma, and it baffles me that they would supress any performance out of the Tacoma. I think they are not catering toward thier market.

Maybe the rav4 prime will pave the way for the future, combining power and efficiency. But I never thought I'd say this, I am somewhat disappointed with my new 4runner, which I really wanted to love, and the way Toyota seems to be heading. I don't currently see it as a keep it 10-15 year type car for the performance reasons stated earlier.

What I want, Toyota doesn't offer (and other manufacturers don't really either). A performance based SUV, off road capable, third row SUV. Good combo of fun and exhilaration, but still does an alright job hauling family around. The 4runner is the closest to that, which is why I bought it.

The 4runner could be all of this, and corner the market, and only needs to try a little bit harder. All the parts are there, just put it together Toyota!

Sounds like you're looking for a Range Rover Sport? I know JLR absolutely sucks in the reliability department, but RR's are quite capable off-road, and their on road manners are nothing to sneeze at regarding performance.

Pathfinder! 02-06-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMC12Runner (Post 3437575)
Honestly, this annoys me to no end. We got an Army Green TRD Pro and waited 6 months to get it because it is the color my wife had to have. Plus, we thought it would be cool to have a rare color on a rare trim. WE certainly did not need a TRD Pro since she will never off-road it. I'm sure some Cement owners are annoyed too. I thought the TRD Pro for each year was exclusive to that trim only. Not anymore apparently. Proof Toyota knows they need a major update to their line when they start offering the exclusive colors on the lower trims. Dodge has done the same with their ancient Charger/Challenger. I wonder what the TRD Pro "exclusive color" will be for 2021. If you miss out, you'll be able to get it across the board for 2022...

https://i4.ytimg.com/vi/kdOPBP9vuZA/mqdefault.jpg

but keep in mind this is a limited run, so it may be even more difficult to find these than the Pro you ended up with.

sicnarfone 02-06-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickTRD (Post 3437482)

Only 4,000 hotcakes.

sicnarfone 02-06-2020 01:39 PM

I am happy with my 2020 4runner in Barcelona Red. Even happier now that Cement and Army Green less rare. Still don't see that much red in the SoCal area. And have people forgotten about Quicksand? I think that is more rare than Cement and Army Green.

jp.vegas 02-06-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewsro (Post 3437633)
So Toyota is finally going the route the Tacoma's did with bringing the exclusive colors to other trims after the fact? I'm sure this will go over will with TRD Pro owners...

They've been doing it with the Tundras for years too. I guess it was only a matter of time until it happened to 4Runners as well.

That will kill resale on all of the 4Runner Pros with duplicated colors. That's a bummer I guess but whatever. Maybe I can pick up a second as a cheap beater now with an "exclusive" color :peep:

Pathfinder! 02-06-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADCLOWN (Post 3437661)
IMO, those trail editions don't look great at all. Kind of a chintzy they are adding all those "options" in order to give it the cool factor needed to make it more appealing to buyers. A cooler, rack/basket, and the stupid rear slider tray would not attract me enough to a vehicle. Whoever said Toyota was being lazy, you're 100% right.

We should have gotten a diesel T4R ages ago, it would be amazing to get that in TRDP trim.

Yeah these things are moronic add ons. I'd just want the SR5 with my color choice, but these crappy add ons will let them charge thousands more and let them pretend like they are special.

mordotz 02-06-2020 02:03 PM

Eh, I have an Army Green TRDP and I'm okay with this. 4000 Trail edition total is a pretty low number in the grand scheme of things, maybe 1-1.5k of AG and Cement each? They sell like 130k+ 4Runners per year so it's a pretty low number overall.

Also have to keep in mind that the Trail is an upgraded SR5. It won't have any of the offroad goodies included in the ORP or TRDP.

Mikey2020 02-06-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW.OH.T4R (Post 3437685)
Sounds like you're looking for a Range Rover Sport? I know JLR absolutely sucks in the reliability department, but RR's are quite capable off-road, and their on road manners are nothing to sneeze at regarding performance.

The new Land Rover Defender may be an option at some point as well. I have heard the range Rover sport is all kinds of awful in terms of reliability, tho makes me nervous.

kfs-4runner 02-06-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW.OH.T4R (Post 3437685)

The reliability department equities to extremely high upkeep cost. I for one would not have to pay for the repairs on a Range Rover once the warranty has expired.
I do not know but I think Toyota is not going to have a new version of the 4Runner for a little while for whatever reason and with the Bronco coming out and the ever-present Jeep line out there, they want to get whatever sales are possible from the market. Adding little dodads here and there cost next to nothing and might entice people planing to essentially drive back and forth from the mall, work and to head out to the local state park for a weekend picnic.
I am curious other the people here who recently purchase TRD in a special color would not have made that purchase if they would have known then that a Trail Edition was going to be released that offered the same color.

NW.OH.T4R 02-06-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey2020 (Post 3437723)
The new Land Rover Defender may be an option at some point as well. I have heard the range Rover sport is all kinds of awful in terms of reliability, tho makes me nervous.

The reliability thing is kind of challenging for me. I've spent almost as many days in a loaner as I have my own car so far this year (18 in a loaner and counting). I was cross-shopping the 4R with a few German SUV's and one Italian. I let practicality win this time.

Edit: I also look at the Defender 90s-130s daily on BaT.

Matze 02-06-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicnarfone (Post 3437700)
Only 4,000 hotcakes.

Sure just 4000, there would be no “run” when they would produce 50k

It’s like these salesguy: “sign now, I can’t hold that offer”!

Mikey2020 02-06-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW.OH.T4R (Post 3437730)
The reliability thing is kind of challenging for me. I've spent almost as many days in a loaner as I have my own car so far this year (18 in a loaner and counting). I was cross-shopping the 4R with a few German SUV's and one Italian. I let practicality win this time.

Edit: I also look at the Defender 90s-130s daily on BaT.

What vehicle are you driving that has had all the issues? Is it a 4runner?

A unreliable car is super stressful, I feel your pain.

Tuco Ramirez 02-06-2020 02:25 PM

How else can millennials get into some sweet ass overloading if they don’t have a roof rack and a toyeti cooler in back? Jeesh. You guys are so near sighted.
Prepare to be impressed as it seems they will come with duelers on them as well. Best tire for the trail!