Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Have SR5, thinking about Limited. Thoughts? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/282666-have-sr5-thinking-about-limited-thoughts.html)

tflux 02-06-2020 10:44 PM

Have SR5, thinking about Limited. Thoughts?

My wife drives the SR5 4Runner. I love it and I want her to drive it "forever", but my wife isn't the best judge of when to use 4wd when the roads are slick. She always asks me things like...

"Should I use 4wd if... it is raining hard? there is slush? if snow is blowing across the road? if there is packed snow?" etc.

So I'm thinking about getting a Limited with full-time 4wd so she has less to worry about and is more confident. This would give me a little peace of mind also.

1) Pros? Cons? Does the full-time 4wd system have any reliability issues?

2) The Limited will come with Xreas, correct? Any issues with Xreas?

3) Are there any other differences I should know about before making the switch.

I would probably buy a used Limited with around 50,000 miles.

Thanks!

Horsethief 02-06-2020 10:51 PM

I don't have a Limited, but yeah, the AWD is definitely something good for the wife.

IMO it's crazy that 20 years ago all 4Runners had the capability of being run in fulltime 4wd, all you had to do was push a button on the shifter to engage 4wd. Now, in 2020 unless you have a Limited, there's the whole "do I use it or not"" internal discussion.

Also, if there's no offroading being planned for it, an AWD crossover will be really good in the snow. My AWD Volvo XC70 wagon was a beast in the snow!

BaddaBing 02-06-2020 11:01 PM

I have a 2015 LTD and love it. I purchased Toyota Platinum warranty with referral on this site, 5 year 125k miles. Xreas was starting to show leaking on shocks. Not very much, no spots on garage floor. Toyota completely replaced Xreas at 121k miles. Good luck.

tflux 02-06-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsethief (Post 3438108)
Also, if there's no offroading being planned for it, an AWD crossover will be really good in the snow. My AWD Volvo XC70 wagon was a beast in the snow!

Yep, she had a subaru outback before the 4runner. It was pretty much perfect for her, but she didn't like the "Lesbaru" image :)

tflux 02-06-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaddaBing (Post 3438114)
Xreas was starting to show leaking on shocks. Not very much, no spots on garage floor.

Ah, this is the type of thing I worry about. I like the SR5 for its simple, butch, beastly nature. Stepping up to the limited means there is "more stuff to break".

CharlesNellis 02-06-2020 11:25 PM

Do it! When the xreas wears out, remove it and get some bilsteins.

The AWD in the limited offers:

Increased stability on slick turns due to freedom of front and rear tires to act independently of each other. (The tires don't have to "slip" like in traditional 4wd systems; no slip = more traction).

Increased confidence leads to being more relaxed. More relaxed means less jerky movements of the steering wheel.

No guessing game when to turn on 4WD.

I have a TRD OR, but if I could have afforded a limited I would have got one.

Horsethief 02-06-2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tflux (Post 3438121)
Yep, she had a subaru outback before the 4runner. It was pretty much perfect for her, but she didn't like the "Lesbaru" image :)

HAHAHAHA! Never heard that one before, haha.

You ever hear of the comedian Joey Diaz? He's this big Cuban guy from Jersey that looks and sounds like he should have had a staring role on the Sopranos.

He was on Joe Rogan the other day talking about how he's driven nothing but Subarus since the 80's, and said his buddies always bust his balls about driving a "lesbian car" LOL. Joe was trying to talk him into a Cadillac.

The guy is hilarious, definitely worth a listen.

philipn126 02-06-2020 11:33 PM

The features on the limited is what sold me. Would have gotten a pro otherwise. Cooled seats are amazing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tflux 02-06-2020 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesNellis (Post 3438127)
Do it! When the xreas wears out, remove it and get some bilsteins.

Well that makes me feel a little better. Is it that easy? Do you have to get rid of the old Xreas? Or is it a simple disconnect and replace the shocks?

CharlesNellis 02-06-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tflux (Post 3438142)
Well that makes me feel a little better. Is it that easy? Do you have to get rid of the old Xreas? Or is it a simple disconnect and replace the shocks?

I'm not sure. I think it's just a network of stainless steel hollow tubes with brake fluid connecting the shocks. Nothing electrical.

daytonaviolet 02-07-2020 03:22 AM

Have SR5, thinking about Limited. Thoughts?

I wanted the looks of the pro but the creature features of the limited since my 4th gen was a limited. I opted for a used limited, stripped out the xreas and modded it to look like a pro [emoji2957]

Now I got the best of both worlds until the 6th gen comes out.

Unless your going to do some serious off roading which may require crawl, I suggest getting the limited.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...81dca113bc.jpg

blanchard7684 02-07-2020 06:30 AM

I'm on my second Limited....long story.

But its my favorite outside of a pro.

The full time 4wd is super convenient.

The wife and I consider it a must have for any family vehicle now.

I've taken another Limited down some moderately tough trails and it did well but the ride was a bit stiff. I've learned from this site though that around 100k to 125k the xreas usually gives it up.

The xreas probably saved us during an emergency maneuver to go around a suddenly stopped vehicle, on the highway, in a down pour.

It was a choice between testing air bags or the handling. I yanked the steering wheel and to my amazement there was very little body roll, no tire screech (although it was raining), and most importantly no sliding.

I think the x reas and "awd" is most convenient for inclement weather when it could be a pain to have to engage and disengage 4wd in order to make a tight parking maneuver.

RichinRidgewood 02-07-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tflux (Post 3438106)
My wife drives the SR5 4Runner. I love it and I want her to drive it "forever", but my wife isn't the best judge of when to use 4wd when the roads are slick. She always asks me things like...

"Should I use 4wd if... it is raining hard? there is slush? if snow is blowing across the road? if there is packed snow?" etc.

So I'm thinking about getting a Limited with full-time 4wd so she has less to worry about and is more confident. This would give me a little peace of mind also.

1) Pros? Cons? Does the full-time 4wd system have any reliability issues?

2) The Limited will come with Xreas, correct? Any issues with Xreas?

3) Are there any other differences I should know about before making the switch.

I would probably buy a used Limited with around 50,000 miles.

Thanks!

I would do some training. I have taught people how to drive in bad weather. My rule of thumb for myself when I had my pos '94 F150 with electrically engaged 4wd was "If you think you should be in 4WD you should already be in 4WD"

The residual on 4Runners is so high I wouldn't consider a used one. Thats just me. If your concern is your wife's safety there are other similar vehicles that have a lot more 4WD traction, control and safety features for an equal or lower cost than a Limited ex. Highlander, MDX, Pilot.

Ive recently driven both and SR5 Premium and a Limited. Here is the thread
Drove a 4Runner For the first Time Today

RichinRidgewood 02-07-2020 09:27 AM

duplicate post removed

catrains 02-07-2020 09:36 AM

has more stuff on it so expensive repairs. buy the warranty. if one drop leaks out of the shock system it is a big problem $$$..
need to rotate tires often all need to be the same diameter.. have to replace all tires at the same time..