Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Issues with start up (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/282729-issues-start-up.html)

MarkBlack 02-08-2020 11:36 PM

Issues with start up

I have a 97 with a 3.4L.

The other day my 4runner wouldnt start, so i changed the terminals and it started right up. But later in the day my 4runner struggled to start. After a few attempts it started. It cranked and wouldnt start and than It putts'd and than died.

I dont think its the fuel pump. My alternator and battery are working fine. I have already replaced the starter and fuel filter. So I am thinking it may be the crankshaft sensor, its about $100 so I figured Id ask you guys your opinions before I make a $100 guess.

Does anyone have any advice, or been in a similar situation.

It only happened that one day. But i don't want this to happen on my next road trip.

brillo_76 02-08-2020 11:43 PM

Hmm... hard starts is mostly fuel related at times. How good is your fuel filter and what's your pressure at the rail?

2 seconds max and that rig should fire up.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

19963.4lsr5 02-09-2020 07:02 AM

Issues with start up

When was the last time you did a tune up?

AKA spark plugs etc.....

that also sounds like water in the gas and a bottle or two of “dry gas” will fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brillo_76 02-09-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3439408)

AKA spark plugs etc.....

that also sounds like water in the gas and a bottle or two of “dry gas” will fix that.

Excellent thought but all the US gas is ethanol gas so 10% of the gas is dry gas already. Unless they run straight normal gasoline that costs a lot more. So it would take a pile of water to mess up your gas but possible. :-)

As it has to be a fuel or ignition issue as vacuum leak would be unlikely.

OP. No pending codes coming up??

Soren96 02-09-2020 02:22 PM

That could also be crank sensor. I normally wouldn’t consider that except that it happened on my ‘98 VW. Though my only symptoms were either the engine just flat out shutting off with no sputters or refusing to start. It was indeed the cps.

brillo_76 02-09-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soren96 (Post 3439584)
That could also be crank sensor. I normally wouldn’t consider that except that it happened on my ‘98 VW. Though my only symptoms were either the engine just flat out shutting off with no sputters or refusing to start. It was indeed the cps.

Mostly crank sensors just die though. Unless someone has had a cases of intermittent failure.

That can be easily checked with a bluetooth reader and an app like torque pro. Will let you read the crank senor. If cranking and it reads 200 then its functioning.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Hokie-Pokie VT 02-09-2020 03:16 PM

Crankshaft sensor would likely be throwing a code (P0335). Especially if it can complete the startup process and get to idle for at least a second or two it will notice that something is wrong and turn on the CEL. I would continue to look at the fuel system, the intake system (the IAC valve, MAF, and the throttle assembly), and spark system (plugs and wires).

Best of luck.

plcfcng 02-09-2020 06:08 PM

I know time and money are not always abundant you need to have a base line when trying to find out whats wrong. I see that you did the fuel filter you also need to take a look at the Air filter and the spark plugs and wires. If you have the history on them then fine if not you may want to replace them look at the plugs do a google search on how spark plugs pics. They should all look the same white or a little tan on the insulator.

If replacing them go with the double sided ground not doing this can cause issues. When putting them back I use a Torque wrench the last thing you want to do is strip out the threads in the head. (HF have a decent torque wrench really cheap or borrow one.)

Checking fuel pressure is a bit involved you need to search some one out to help with that or take it in to a shop. Keep us up to date :artist2:

MarkBlack 02-10-2020 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3439408)

AKA spark plugs etc.....

I replaced the spark plugs less than 6 months ago.

MarkBlack 02-10-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3439570)
Excellent thought but all the US gas is ethanol gas so 10% of the gas is dry gas already. Unless they run straight normal gasoline that costs a lot more. So it would take a pile of water to mess up your gas but possible. :-)

As it has to be a fuel or ignition issue as vacuum leak would be unlikely.

OP. No pending codes coming up??

I checked all the vacuum hoses and nothings messed up, I replaced the plugs and used an OEM fuel filter. An no codes are coming up

I need to look up how to check the fuel pressue. Im not sure what it is at or how to check it.

I drove the 4runner around all day and it struggled to start once out of the 10 times I started it up. So it seems pretty intermittent.

MarkBlack 02-10-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plcfcng (Post 3439718)
I know time and money are not always abundant you need to have a base line when trying to find out whats wrong. I see that you did the fuel filter you also need to take a look at the Air filter and the spark plugs and wires. If you have the history on them then fine if not you may want to replace them look at the plugs do a google search on how spark plugs pics. They should all look the same white or a little tan on the insulator.

If replacing them go with the double sided ground not doing this can cause issues. When putting them back I use a Torque wrench the last thing you want to do is strip out the threads in the head. (HF have a decent torque wrench really cheap or borrow one.)

Checking fuel pressure is a bit involved you need to search some one out to help with that or take it in to a shop. Keep us up to date :artist2:

Plugs have been replaced and I just installed a cold air intake a month back, so the air filters brand new. Also the spark plugs are new.

MarkBlack 02-10-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soren96 (Post 3439584)

Mine struggles to start, it sputters and then dies. So maybe its not my crank position sensor.

thegipper 02-10-2020 12:17 PM

You'll need a banjo fuel fitting adapter like this one: Banjo Bolt Fuel Pressure Tester Adapter Asian European M12x1.25 thread Gauge | eBay

Then you just need any standard fuel pressure gauge that accepts a 7/16"-20 threaded schrader fitting (this is the standard size usually).

Search on the forum to find out the fuel pressure specs.

JMat 02-10-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkBlack (Post 3439930)
Mine struggles to start, it sputters and then dies. So maybe its not my crank position sensor.

I would seriously doubt it's the crank position sensor... When mine went out it just wouldn't start one. Just nothing. Wouldn't even sputter.

As stated earlier it's super easy to find out with an OBD2 reader... If it shows RPM's when it's turning over its not the CPS.

MarkBlack 02-10-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMat (Post 3440172)
I would seriously doubt it's the crank position sensor... When mine went out it just wouldn't start one. Just nothing. Wouldn't even sputter.

As stated earlier it's super easy to find out with an OBD2 reader... If it shows RPM's when it's turning over its not the CPS.

I took it O rilleys and had them use the reader. It didnt show anything.