Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   I Like Chrome and Shiny Things on My Vehicles (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/282739-i-like-chrome-shiny-things-my-vehicles.html)

RichinRidgewood 02-09-2020 10:22 AM

I Like Chrome and Shiny Things on My Vehicles

Black rims with tiny or no center caps, little or no chrome trim and black emblems were the attributes of a base model car/truck when I was a kid. That went along with bench seats and an AM radio with manual windows.

When the rocker panels rusted out people ground off the rust, Bondo'd up the hole and painted a black strip down the length of the car over the Bondo so they didnt have to try and match the paint colors. Beautiful.

Now people are paying Toyota extra for blacked out emblems, black trim, black wheels and my favorite aftermarket accessory, the black signal light cover. I was following a Nissan with these on last night. What a great idea (sarchasm)

Honestly I don't care for how these "blacked out" vehicles look.

You have to go all the way to a Limited to get any kind of "chrome" trim work. I wish the Toyota had put some on the Premium models.

bugkillr 02-09-2020 10:34 AM

In the Harley world , there's a term
" Chromosexual" . I think you'd fit in perfectly. ( not that there's anything wrong with that). https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b4e64073bd.jpg

RichinRidgewood 02-09-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugkillr (Post 3439453)
In the Harley world , there's a term
" Chromosexual" . I think you'd fit in perfectly. ( not that there's anything wrong with that).

I had a Harley, been to Wetzel's Party, Easy Rider Bike and Tattoo Shows etc. before the Credit Card Bikers started to show up.

I think the Chromosexual name was more for the people who went way overboard and had to have everything chrome.

I never replaced a part solely for the reason of one was chrome and the other was not.

On the 4Runner I think some tasteful "chrome" trim work coming out of the Toyota Design Center would make a difference.

GG5thGen 02-09-2020 11:58 AM

Rich, you will probably remember painting steel wheels black and putting on chrome beauty rings and chrome lug nuts. Great look I thought. I put them on my ‘64 Valiant.

PaulsTrail 02-09-2020 12:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GG5thGen (Post 3439493)
Rich, you will probably remember painting steel wheels black and putting on chrome beauty rings and chrome lug nuts. Great look I thought. I put them on my ‘64 Valiant.

Ha! The first thing I did on my first car was to ditch the black painted wheels and "poverty caps" and replace them with chrome reverse wheels. :)

Also back then, engines often looked like the one in my '67 Mustang rather something hidden under a nondescript plastic shroud.

GG5thGen 02-09-2020 12:32 PM

Well hell yeah! Chrome reverse wheels.
No way was I going to spend that kind of money on a ‘64 Valiant. :)

LandCruiser 02-09-2020 12:55 PM

Ok, boomer:P

I WILL admit that some cars look great with chrome, but not modern Japanese or German ones.

patkelly4370 02-09-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandCruiser (Post 3439519)
Ok, boomer:P

I WILL admit that some cars look great with chrome, but not modern Japanese or German ones.

Bikes too. This is the most modern bike I have, 1980 Yamaha XS1100LG.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0b98b794b9.jpg
A good companion to my 4runner
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...45a4137631.jpg

Rightside Up 02-09-2020 02:09 PM

Smells like old people’s up in here.

Ripper238 02-09-2020 02:39 PM

The blackout look is very popular. Similar to the chrome of old.

I personally think it looks good but i am not a fan, i feel you loose contrast and generalize the over all look. Black rims and black tires? Sure cool, but you loose the contrast and uniqueness. That's why i bought the Gun mettle TRD rims with Red TRD center cap.

Like any car customize it to the way YOU want it to look. Want chrome add chrome, want black add black, want red add red.

patkelly4370 02-09-2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rightside Up (Post 3439579)
Smells like old people’s up in here.

Define "old people", lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PaulsTrail 02-09-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patkelly4370 (Post 3439601)
Define "old people", lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Depends...

04rnr 02-09-2020 03:08 PM

I hate chrome, painted over the black chrome grill and took the chrome badges off.
Chrome is so 80s lol didnt like then, dont like it now.

PaulsTrail 02-09-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG5thGen (Post 3439505)
Well hell yeah! Chrome reverse wheels.
No way was I going to spend that kind of money on a ‘64 Valiant. :)

My parents had a '62 Valiant. Slant six and a push-button shifter. It became my brother's first car. He didn't spring for the wheels either, although he did put racing stripes on it. :laugh:

rdruss 02-09-2020 03:48 PM

I agree, black on black with black is a little much … gangsterish. I like a little chrome here and there, like the Toyota emblems, some on the grill and rear and polished aluminum wheels always look good to me.
I do like the gun metal gray though as well.

I have a silver '03 V8 Ltd. and it has just enough of both to suit me, but some gun metal TRD pro's would also look good!