Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   the "rust monster" took another victim (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/282809-rust-monster-took-another-victim.html)

Ausumm 02-10-2020 05:39 PM

the "rust monster" took another victim

1 Attachment(s)
This is my 2004 4Runner SR5 6-cylinder 4.0.

I got her back in 2015 with 195k, drove her on my commute to work every day for 5 years, and put another 90k highway miles on her. Now with 285,000 miles, the frame is rusted to the point where it won't pass inspection. So I am offering it for sale.

The body is solid. The paint is good. No major scratches or dents. The engine has NOT failed me one time since I bought it. The alternator seized and broke the serpentine belt as I was taking it to get inspected, but the engine itself runs great. Used synthetic oil and changed it when needed. The only things I've replaced were tires, brakes, plugs and wires, The upholstery and carpet were stained when I bought it, but no rips or damage. I've had seat covers and Weathertech floor mats in it from the start.

Any suggestions on the value?

Hoping I can find someone who wants it for parts, rather than dumping it at a junkyard and getting less than it is worth.

Nelsoncody 02-10-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ausumm (Post 3440293)
This is my 2004 4Runner SR5 6-cylinder 4.0.

I got her back in 2015 with 195k, drove her on my commute to work every day for 5 years, and put another 90k highway miles on her. Now with 285,000 miles, the frame is rusted to the point where it won't pass inspection. So I am offering it for sale.

The body is solid. The paint is good. No major scratches or dents. The engine has NOT failed me one time since I bought it. The alternator seized and broke the serpentine belt as I was taking it to get inspected, but the engine itself runs great. Used synthetic oil and changed it when needed. The only things I've replaced were tires, brakes, plugs and wires, The upholstery and carpet were stained when I bought it, but no rips or damage. I've had seat covers and Weathertech floor mats in it from the start.

Any suggestions on the value?

Hoping I can find someone who wants it for parts, rather than dumping it at a junkyard and getting less than it is worth.

If you have the space and time to part it out (if you can't get someone to buy the whole thing) you'd certainly make more money than junking it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

rdruss 02-11-2020 02:00 PM

Have you looked into getting your frame repaired? I have an '03 and had a hole in frame on pass side below front door that was a foot long and almost as wide as the bottom of the frame rail, you could put your hand inside frame.
I had a local shop weld a plate in and then do a frame flush on both sides to get as much accumulated rust and crude out of the frame as possible. Then they sprayed it all down inside/out with WD40 ( which I will continue to do at least yearly.)

$1000.00 is what I paid, just 2months ago.

BlueRidgeTiger 02-12-2020 04:24 PM

I'm fighting rust too in my 3rd gen. I'm in SC, but the truck was previously a 1 owner vehicle in NJ.

The rust is much much better than I thought it would be, but there is one pocket that put a hole in my body, just behind where the runningboards used to be.

An angle grinder and rust preventative spray have become my very close friends and have actually worked really well.

RichinRidgewood 02-12-2020 06:28 PM

Sorry to hear about your truck. Almost 300k miles and it looks that good in the picture. Thats something special.

humphreys 02-12-2020 07:57 PM

That's no bueno. I see alot of rusty runners here on the east coast.