Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Dealership lists two OEM brake pads - which one to get? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/282925-dealership-lists-two-oem-brake-pads-one-get.html)

ddicosmo 02-12-2020 01:45 PM

Dealership lists two OEM brake pads - which one to get?

I need to replace the front brake pads on my 08 4Runner to pass inspection this month. The original pads (and rotors) have 105k on them. I called the stealership and they quoted me two different replacement OEM front brake pads for my vehicle; one quote was $99 and the other was $59 for what they called "economy line". They claim both are OEM. The parts guy said that the $59 pads are actually better than the $99 pads. Has anyone had any experience with either of these two OEM pads and if so, which is better?

Also, does anyone know what the best non Toyota OEM pads are (fitment wise and quality wise) to replace the OEM ones if I decide to not go with OEM? (ie. in terms of both brand and material type (ie. organic, semi-metallic, metallic, ceramic). Thanks,

Dave.

ddicosmo 02-12-2020 01:48 PM

One other thing I forgot to ask... Is it recommended to replace the shims, the caliper slide pins and clips when replacing the front pads or is re-using the original ones ok? I probably won't know the condition of these until I do the job but was just wondering what most people do. Thanks again,

Dave.

That_Titanium_4RNR 02-12-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddicosmo (Post 3441442)
One other thing I forgot to ask... Is it recommended to replace the shims, the caliper slide pins and clips when replacing the front pads or is re-using the original ones ok? I probably won't know the condition of these until I do the job but was just wondering what most people do. Thanks again,

Dave.

I use the Akebono ASP line of brake pads. Has been working great for me. Extremely quiet, great braking, and low dust. I would recommend changing the anti-rattle clips, but I wouldn't change the pad pins unless they're very rusted. We don't have caliper slide pins on the front calipers of these trucks btw.

Warwicke36 02-12-2020 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddicosmo (Post 3441439)
I need to replace the front brake pads on my 08 4Runner to pass inspection this month. The original pads (and rotors) have 105k on them. I called the stealership and they quoted me two different replacement OEM front brake pads for my vehicle; one quote was $99 and the other was $59 for what they called "economy line". They claim both are OEM. The parts guy said that the $59 pads are actually better than the $99 pads. Has anyone had any experience with either of these two OEM pads and if so, which is better?

Also, does anyone know what the best non Toyota OEM pads are (fitment wise and quality wise) to replace the OEM ones if I decide to not go with OEM? (ie. in terms of both brand and material type (ie. organic, semi-metallic, metallic, ceramic). Thanks,

Dave.

Here is what the dealer lists for brakes through their parts portal... only 1 set for the fronts. I bet they are quoting aftermarket parts.

I use Napa Premium or Adaptive One pads with their polymer coated rotors on everything. They are awesome and I typically don't love Napa. No fuss with brake cleaner, and the non friction parts of the rotors don't rust!

Cheers!

Keros 02-12-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That_Titanium_4RNR (Post 3441457)
I use the Akebono ASP line of brake pads. Has been working great for me. Extremely quiet, great braking, and low dust. I would recommend changing the anti-rattle clips, but I wouldn't change the pad pins unless they're very rusted. We don't have caliper slide pins on the front calipers of these trucks btw.

Agreed, ASP976 & ASP606 are fantastic.

The ACT model line is the OE pad at Toyota anyway.

The ASP series is fantastic for a lot of reasons: bed-in period is straightforward and doesn't require big stretches of road and no traffic... just drive it easy and don't get them piping hot for 500km. They have excellent cold temperature bite, so they feel similar stone cold as they do normal operating temp. Fade resistance is more than adequate for spirited driving.

I could not find anyone who's had backing plate adhesion problems (EBC) or squealing (Hawk), either.

Just good solid brake pads. I got mine from Tire Rack.

That_Titanium_4RNR 02-12-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keros (Post 3441537)
Agreed, ASP976 & ASP606 are fantastic.

The ACT model line is the OE pad at Toyota anyway.

The ASP series is fantastic for a lot of reasons: bed-in period is straightforward and doesn't require big stretches of road and no traffic... just drive it easy and don't get them piping hot for 500km. They have excellent cold temperature bite, so they feel similar stone cold as they do normal operating temp. Fade resistance is more than adequate for spirited driving.

I could not find anyone who's had backing plate adhesion problems (EBC) or squealing (Hawk), either.

Just good solid brake pads. I got mine from Tire Rack.

You're definitely right about the cold temp bite. I never realize how good my brakes are until I hop behind the wheel of another car with cheap pads. These things perform well regardless of weather.

Drift Monkey 02-12-2020 05:27 PM

AKEBONO ASP 976/606 going on the truck next along with CENTRIC 12044127/12044128 rotors.

badattitude 02-12-2020 06:17 PM

Yes get the shims, your old ones will be rusty and un-useable. From I understand the $99 are true OEM and the $59 are Toyota replacement pads. The $99 are the ones that lasted 100,000 miles. Get some brake caliper lube and spread it on the shims.

Adding, only Toyota pads use separate shims. Most aftermarket pads have the shims already attached to the pads.

Ed_C 02-12-2020 06:39 PM

When was the last time brakes were replaced? Pins and the little clips etc. are cheap, I just order them from Advance Auto or Pep Boys, whoever has the better sale at the time.

Drift Monkey 02-12-2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_C (Post 3441613)
When was the last time brakes were replaced? Pins and the little clips etc. are cheap, I just order them from Advance Auto or Pep Boys, whoever has the better sale at the time.

Any part numbers for those?

Ed_C 02-12-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drift Monkey (Post 3441638)
Any part numbers for those?

Unfortunately I don't. I usually search then order (for local store pickup) via the parts stores' websites since there's usually a discount code. Last night I picked up wipers and fog light bulbs for 25% off @ Pep Boys.

Drift Monkey 02-12-2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_C (Post 3441786)
Unfortunately I don't. I usually search then order (for local store pickup) via the parts stores' websites since there's usually a discount code. Last night I picked up wipers and fog light bulbs for 25% off @ Pep Boys.

NOo worries, just wondering which common ones are worth replacing once I do it.

Looks like Centric has kits with the springs, cotter pins, and caliper pins for the front and springs and assorted clips for the rear on Rock Auto. Everything shipped for about $20.

ddicosmo 02-14-2020 07:31 PM

Thanks for all the info. on the pads. I was able to pick up a Wagner Quick Stop ZD976 Ceramic disc pad brake set for $25 shipped from Amazon. I decided to go with this kit since the quality seemed decent and it came with the clips, pins, shims and lube. I didn't want to spend too much money on good pads at this point since I plan on replacing all 4 wheels with one of those power stop complete brake kits that includes the calipers, rotors and pads. I hope to do that in the summer. But for now, I just want to throw on a pair of decent pads and get another 6 months out of them. When I went to replace the pads however, I could not get the caliper guide pins out. I put a small amount of pb blaster and used a hammer and punch but they would not budge. They appear to be seized. I spent about 20 minutes trying to get them out with no luck. The head where the clip goes in was starting to get flat from hitting the pin with the punch/hammer so I decided to stop. Does anyone have any recommendations or tips on how to get the frozen slider pins out?

ddicosmo 02-14-2020 07:36 PM

I swear, every time I set off to do what appears to be a quick and easy job, something like this stops me dead in my tracks! Unbelievable.... If I could just get those pins out, it would take me 5 minutes to change the pads... I don't know what it is with Toyota but it seems rust seems to be attracted to their parts like nothing I've ever seen before. I never had issues like this with VWs or Hondas.

Ed_C 02-14-2020 07:40 PM

Put vice grips or channel locks/water pump pliers at the circled area of the pin, keep twisting back and forth. If that doesn't work, cut the pin in half at the same area and use your punch from there.

https://i.imgur.com/EXXXz87.jpg

Pic of a Tacoma caliper but same basic design