Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Help Needed – Moab/Canyonlands Trail ID (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/282975-help-needed-–-moab-canyonlands-trail-id.html)

frankdux 02-13-2020 05:30 PM

Help Needed – Moab/Canyonlands Trail ID

The 4Runner is slowly but surely becoming more capable with each new mod, and I am planning a trip to Moab when I came across this picture online of what I think is a trail in either Moab or Canyonlands.

Anyone happen to know?

White Rim Road, perhaps? Thanks in advance.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...45b5e721d4.jpg

Sky 02-14-2020 07:58 AM

Google image search shows it to be on the Chicken Corners trail.
Been to Moab a couple of times but not on that trail so can't say for sure.

DI Transplant 02-16-2020 11:39 PM

It looks like Amasa Back to me.

Schnalan 02-16-2020 11:59 PM

If I’m trying to head to Moab and do some light off-roading, how “stock” can I be? I’ll probably have new, bigger tires by then but I’m not sure if I’ll have a lift or recovery gear. Anyone been to Moab know some good trails for a pretty stock 4Runner

SpeedyKevin 02-17-2020 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnalan (Post 3444075)
If I’m trying to head to Moab and do some light off-roading, how “stock” can I be? I’ll probably have new, bigger tires by then but I’m not sure if I’ll have a lift or recovery gear. Anyone been to Moab know some good trails for a pretty stock 4Runner

Onion creek!

anpingyadong 02-17-2020 07:51 AM

Welded Wire Mesh Manufacturer

Anping Yadong Hardware Products Co., Ltd is one of the top welded wire mesh manufacturer situated in the heart of the Chinese province, Anping. This welded mesh manufacturer has been serving clients and satisfying their need since 1992. Thanks to their high-quality welded wire mesh, they have played a vital role in pushing the industry by producing at its fullest potential. Anping Yadong Hardware Products Co., Ltd has always shown signs of using innovative and efficient production methods and equipment to create high-quality products that are highly durable.

Bluesky 07 02-17-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnalan (Post 3444075)

You should always have some kind of recovery gear.

To your "where can stock go," you may be pleasantly surprised at how capable your truck is with few or even no mods (I'm assuming you have 4WD). Check out the videos on my YT channel, which is linked in my thread. I'm on Michelin Defenders in the stock size and while I have upgraded my suspension with gear from a '15 Tacoma TRD Offroad, the 2019 Kentucky Toyota Trail Ride was all on my OEM X-REAS at 140K miles.

I drove a few Moab trails in 1993 with a rented Jeep Cherokee that was stock 4WD and it was a blast. Highly recommend Shafer Trail Road for one.

Schnalan 02-17-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesky 07 (Post 3444144)
You should always have some kind of recovery gear.

To your "where can stock go," you may be pleasantly surprised at how capable your truck is with few or even no mods (I'm assuming you have 4WD). Check out the videos on my YT channel, which is linked in my thread. I'm on Michelin Defenders in the stock size and while I have upgraded my suspension with gear from a '15 Tacoma TRD Offroad, the 2019 Kentucky Toyota Trail Ride was all on my OEM X-REAS at 140K miles.

I drove a few Moab trails in 1993 with a rented Jeep Cherokee that was stock 4WD and it was a blast. Highly recommend Shafer Trail Road for one.

Awesome! Thank you, I'll definitely try to at least grab some straps and trax by then. But yes, 4WD and center diff lock with V8 should be plenty capable.

Any specific recovery gear you'd recommend?

Sky 02-17-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DI Transplant (Post 3444066)
It looks like Amasa Back to me.

Cliffhanger Trail?

Jimmy_D 02-18-2020 07:28 PM

Definitely Cliffhanger. The pic is of the pinch spot as you get towards the end (it's an out and back trail). I've done it a number of times so I'm imminently familiar with this particular obstacle. HERE are some pic's I posted a while back from Moab with most of them being from Cliffhanger; several of which are from below the spot in question.

Jetboy 02-18-2020 09:04 PM

How willing are you to damage the bumpers?

If you're okay dragging bumpers - then a lot of trails will open up for you. If you want the most scenic stuff - the drive from potash road up to canyon lands via shafer trail is great. Easy in your 4Runner. Great views. You can take the fork in the road and venture out on the white rim trail as far as you want so long as you're not spending the night (if you don't have a camping permit). If it's your first time there - honestly, spend as much or more of your time hiking. Arches is great - get there early and go hike. The drive in/out is fantastic even if it is on pavement.
Chicken Corners and Dome plateau are pretty mild.
Gold bar rim is winch required now. Even for buggies on big tires. It's usually rated easier than many trails - but it's been pretty badly eroded in one key spot in the last few years.
Kane Creek gets harder in some places as you go - but you can venture out quite a ways and then return as you came. Don't go in heavy rain.
Fins and Things isn't particularly hard - but there are a few places you're almost guaranteed to drag your bumpers. Slick rock is like sand paper - it'll take all the paint off where it drags.

You can have a lot of fun without doing any body damage. It doesn't mean you won't have fun. You can go as crazy as you want. It's really up to you. You can also always rent a rock crawler for a day if you really want to try some of the harder stuff and not damage your daily driver. There's no shame in being realistic about what you want to do in your ride home.

Also that is not white rim trail. Nothing on white rim trail is comparable to the pucker factor on cliff hanger (where I believe that picture is from). White rim trail is mild enough that you can drive it in a subaru, but very scenic. And it has some huge drop offs on ledge roads like that one - but the road condition is much better with no major pinch points like that. The only time I've been a bit scared on the white rim is in the winter. Add a foot of snow to the mix and... it'll induce plenty of pucker factor. I will not do it again in the winter.

Sky 02-19-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetboy (Post 3445204)
You can take the fork in the road and venture out on the white rim trail as far as you want so long as you're not spending the night (if you don't have a camping permit).

According to the NPS you DO have to have a permit even for non camping day trips. :shrug:

One other tip about White Rim Trail- a few years ago we were denied entry to the trail because we had our dogs with us.
Really bummed because we went a good distance out of way to get there. Had no idea.

Jetboy 02-19-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 3445408)
According to the NPS you DO have to have a permit even for non camping day trips. :shrug:

One other tip about White Rim Trail- a few years ago we were denied entry to the trail because we had our dogs with us.
Really bummed because we went a good distance out of way to get there. Had no idea.

Unfortunately dog people as a group don't do a very good job of keeping dogs controlled.

I've never had a permit to go on the white rim trail. Been out there a lot of times. Not sure if that's a new thing or just not enforced. What I have seen is a shit ton of bicycle guides out there now in econolines with a dozen tourists who haven't been on a bike in a decade going 4mph down the road. Another reason I have significantly cut back on my trips to moab in the last 5 years. It's turning into Disneyland.