Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   3rd Gen extra key options & self programming (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/282977-3rd-gen-extra-key-options-self-programming.html)

Endlessblockades 02-13-2020 06:05 PM

3rd Gen extra key options & self programming

Hello there,

I am what you might call a chronic key-loser. Usually when camping or in the woods. Knowing this, I always like to have a backup nearby. Knowing this, my wife insists on keeping 1 key set from every vehicle I've owned. That leaves me with one key for my new 2000 T4R Ltd. I've read a couple threads but searching brings up mainly locksmith services. What should I do to acquire 2 more keys? Both fobs were dead when I bought the truck last month and the seller said they didn't work. They do work, of course - the seller was unfamiliar with the concept of replacing batteries. What have YOU found to be a good way to go for duplicates? Program my own Chinese knockoffs from eBay, an independent locksmith, or -horrors- the stealership?

Thanks in advance

spartacus 02-13-2020 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3442266)
Hello there,

I am what you might call a chronic key-loser. Usually when camping or in the woods. Knowing this, I always like to have a backup nearby. Knowing this, my wife insists on keeping 1 key set from every vehicle I've owned. That leaves me with one key for my new 2000 T4R Ltd. I've read a couple threads but searching brings up mainly locksmith services. What should I do to acquire 2 more keys? Both fobs were dead when I bought the truck last month and the seller said they didn't work. They do work, of course - the seller was unfamiliar with the concept of replacing batteries. What have YOU found to be a good way to go for duplicates? Program my own Chinese knockoffs from eBay, an independent locksmith, or -horrors- the stealership?

Thanks in advance

take your original key to a locksmith or ace, home depot, Lowe's etc and have them cut new keys buy Toyota fobs from eBay or Amazon about $20 and program them your self. you can program upto 4 keyfobs.

YouTube

phattyduck 02-13-2020 07:14 PM

You are going to run into two issues - remote fobs and immobilizer codes. The '99+ limiteds have an immobilizer system that also has to be programmed, separate from the keyless entry remotes.

The immobilizer can hold 3 keys in memory. I'm not sure how many remotes can stay in memory (but those are less important - the key will always open the truck). The two systems are separate form each other and must be programmed separately.

-Charlie

Endlessblockades 02-13-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3442281)
take your original key to a locksmith or ace, home depot, Lowe's etc and have them cut new keys buy Toyota fobs from eBay or Amazon about $20 and program them your self. you can program upto 4 keyfobs.

YouTube

Hmmm, I kinda figured that would work, but when I tried Home Depot and dude stuck it in the machine he said "can't do it - it has electronics". I tried to argue that the fob was separate (and was dead at the time, anyway) but he said NO. I'll get some cut and worry about the fob later. My truck does everything I need it to in a lock-out with a key alone so I guess I can just get some cut. Thanks!

Brian. 02-13-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3442266)
HWhat have YOU found to be a good way to go for duplicates? Program my own Chinese knockoffs from eBay, an independent locksmith, or -horrors- the stealership?

Thanks in advance

I documented my journey through this nightmare myself:

Keys and Remotes and Immobilizers, Oh My!, or...

read at least the top post, then you should know how to tackle this. Basically, you're either going to be able to program your own (chinesium or OEM, the keys are $10~30) or you'll only be able to "clone" ($100 per key at a minimum)... or if only able to clone, if you're DIY enough, you'll go down the rabbit hole and figure out how to 'virgin' your immobilizer and program new keys.

Brian. 02-13-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3442337)
The immobilizer can hold 3 keys in memory. I'm not sure how many remotes can stay in memory ...

-Charlie

Psst... limit on keys is higher for my 99 Limited (I have 4 currently, had 5 at one point to see if it was the same as the fob limit) and the fobs are limited to 4.

Endlessblockades 02-13-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian. (Post 3442364)
I documented my journey through this nightmare myself:

Keys and Remotes and Immobilizers, Oh My!, or...

read at least the top post, then you should know how to tackle this. Basically, you're either going to be able to program your own (chinesium or OEM, the keys are $10~30) or you'll only be able to "clone" ($100 per key at a minimum)... or if only able to clone, if you're DIY enough, you'll go down the rabbit hole and figure out how to 'virgin' your immobilizer and program new keys.

HOLY CRAP - WHAT A RABBIT HOLE! I've got some info to consume on that thread - sorry boss. Thank you for documenting that. I'm not quite sure what I have yet, but mine came with 2 metal keys with button-less plastic heads and 2 separate fobs. No valet key. With my luck, now that I've put batteries in the fobs I'll IMMOBILIZE myself. LOL. Luckily, I grabbed an original operating manual off eBay and will read up on these functions. Thank you for posting your saga.

phattyduck 02-14-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3442463)
HOLY CRAP - WHAT A RABBIT HOLE! I've got some info to consume on that thread - sorry boss. Thank you for documenting that. I'm not quite sure what I have yet, but mine came with 2 metal keys with button-less plastic heads and 2 separate fobs. No valet key. With my luck, now that I've put batteries in the fobs I'll IMMOBILIZE myself. LOL. Luckily, I grabbed an original operating manual off eBay and will read up on these functions. Thank you for posting your saga.

No 3rd gen 4Runner keys have buttons on the key itself. Remote lock/unlock/window was always performed from the separate remote.

Non-immobilizer 4Runners came with a plastic-headed key but also all metal keys (1 full, 1 valet). The plastic head on the non-immobilizer keys is smaller than the immobilizer keys.

The immobilizer keys are larger than the non-immobilizer keys.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/2221791-post7.html

-Charlie

Endlessblockades 02-14-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3442862)
No 3rd gen 4Runner keys have buttons on the key itself. Remote lock/unlock/window was always performed from the separate remote.

Non-immobilizer 4Runners came with a plastic-headed key but also all metal keys (1 full, 1 valet). The plastic head on the non-immobilizer keys is smaller than the immobilizer keys.

The immobilizer keys are larger than the non-immobilizer keys.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/2221791-post7.html

-Charlie

Thanks for this. Looks like I'm chipped. Now I'm feeling chapped. I guess that's why Home Depot said naw. That's OK - usually I accidentally lock my keys inside so a plain copy in a hide-a-key should work to get back in. I read the little manual last night, but still don't understand how the Immobilizer function works (and how to avoid doing it to myself).

Brian. 02-14-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3442969)
....still don't understand how the Immobilizer function works (and how to avoid doing it to myself).

The Immo only looks at the key in the ignition (RFID, so the system reads a number over radio frequency), if the key is one it recognizes, the vehicle starts. If it doesn't recognize, it won't start. There is nothing to "avoid" or "do" on your part beyond having a key that the car recognizes.

If you have a Master key, one that can program others, make another ASAP and put it in a safe. Then make 2 more keys (master or sub, makes no difference IMHO) to use as your normal key, spouse key and normal backup. You really never want to be caught without a master key, unless you just like throwing good money after bad for replacement keys.

lixamturtle 02-14-2020 07:40 PM

had a similar situation!

Endlessblockades 02-14-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian. (Post 3442987)
The Immo only looks at the key in the ignition (RFID, so the system reads a number over radio frequency), if the key is one it recognizes, the vehicle starts. If it doesn't recognize, it won't start. There is nothing to "avoid" or "do" on your part beyond having a key that the car recognizes.

If you have a Master key, one that can program others, make another ASAP and put it in a safe. Then make 2 more keys (master or sub, makes no difference IMHO) to use as your normal key, spouse key and normal backup. You really never want to be caught without a master key, unless you just like throwing good money after bad for replacement keys.

Got it. :first:

JRambo 02-14-2020 09:40 PM

Honestly I'd check with your local dealer for getting the key cut.

I go to the parts department quite often and the guys at my dealership will cut my key for free, I just give my VIN.

Worth a shot...

19963.4lsr5 02-14-2020 10:30 PM

For the 04 grand Cherokee with the chipped key the local locksmith was cheaper than the dealer. And the Jeep did not allow self programming. It sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iffykid 02-15-2020 03:45 AM

Ace hardware charged $60 to cut a chipped key for my 00 Limited.