Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Red and Black Cable Sleeve (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/283055-red-black-cable-sleeve.html)

Mudhorn 02-15-2020 12:42 AM

Red and Black Cable Sleeve

3 Attachment(s)
Bought some red and black cable sleeve on Amazon. The color looks good, a little darker than the TRD red, but pops in the engine bay. Only thing I’ll need to keep an eye on is the heat tolerance. Just FYI
Sorry the pics aren’t great, trying to hurry while getting yelled at that dinner was ready.

TOYO74 02-15-2020 02:51 PM

Looks good! Which size did you buy? Wonder if this stuff would help prevent rodents from lunching on the soy-based insulation in 4Runners?
Thanks.

KKD989 02-15-2020 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOYO74 (Post 3443316)
Looks good! Which size did you buy? Wonder if this stuff would help prevent rodents from lunching on the soy-based insulation in 4Runners?
Thanks.

Try this:
https://www.ebay.com/p/1342224943

Mudhorn 02-15-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOYO74 (Post 3443316)
Thanks.

1/4” and 1/2”. These do have a lot for flex than the hard plastic wire covers, so you can get away with a smaller size

TOYO74 02-15-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKD989 (Post 3443326)

Thanks for link...Honda rodent tape has mixed reviews for effectiveness, and is really just pricey tape with capsicum , which is why I am interested in this cable cover product.

TOYO74 02-15-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OYOTA TRD (Post 3443339)
1/4” and 1/2”. These do have a lot for flex than the hard plastic wire covers, so you can get away with a smaller size

Thanks for the helpful info! Looks like this stuff is worth trying.

GripT4R 02-15-2020 08:48 PM

Its a nylon braided sleeve. A Rodent will easily get through it to what they want without issue.

You also shouldn't have any issue with heat unless you lay it on the exhaust manifolds.

Sky 02-16-2020 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripT4R (Post 3443467)
Its a nylon braided sleeve. A Rodent will easily get through it to what they want without issue.

Yep squirrels routinely chew through the aluminum tie wires on my chain link fence. A plastic tube isn't going to stop a rodent.

I use a spray, Ro-Pel, that has a very bitter taste at my remote land- something small- rats, mice, chipmunks, chews through wiring for my solar panel there.
It helps.
Just don't get it on your hands, not wash, then eat with your hands! Believe me you won't like it either.

jhguth 02-16-2020 02:58 PM

Fabric cable loom like this can make some really attractive wire looms when you pair it with gear shrink tubing and some Tesa tape

TOYO74 02-16-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 3443645)
Yep squirrels routinely chew through the aluminum tie wires on my chain link fence. A plastic tube isn't going to stop a rodent.

I use a spray, Ro-Pel, that has a very bitter taste at my remote land- something small- rats, mice, chipmunks, chews through wiring for my solar panel there.
It helps.
Just don't get it on your hands, not wash, then eat with your hands! Believe me you won't like it either.

Looks like I had a foolish notion--I thought since the cable cover is nylon and not soy based it would not be attractive to the little sharp-toothed critters.
Right now I use mothballs in several mesh bags placed around the engine bay when parked at night. No damage in 4 years but might just be luck as I have read mothballs don't work well.

Thanks for info from those with rodent experience--have to look at Ro-Pel.

Now--back on topic: I think the cable cover looks great and may get them just for looks. Thanks to OP for posting images and info.