Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Help with Banging Sound When in Drive and Accelerate (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/283159-help-banging-sound-when-drive-accelerate.html)

97Cruiser40th 02-18-2020 09:49 AM

Help with Banging Sound When in Drive and Accelerate

Sorry folks long title but racking my brain for cause. Behavior is intermittent and the title doesnt describe noise well, it feels/sounds like when a caliper breaks free thats seized to rotor. The oddness is it never happens when I put in reverse 1st to back out but when shift it into drive and press gas pedal the noise happens.

I have inspected brake shoes and calipers with no silver bullet found. It happens when it sits for a while historically but cant tie it to specific duration of sitting.

I am open to other possible causes for this and why putting in reverse doesnt cause an issue but when put into drive right after reverse the behavior exists. Drove at length yesterday after sitting for a while (approx 1 week) and no issue.

Captsolo 02-18-2020 10:04 AM

Take it to a shop that has several lifts and have them find the problem. Get oil and filter at same time.

Could be a wheel bearing. Could be front alignment part (bushing) needing replacement.

What year? Hoe many miles?

97Cruiser40th 02-18-2020 10:18 AM

99 Highlander 71k miles

Has been to shop, no problem found (NPF). Oil was just done in Dec and <1000 miles on it and full PPI completed with NPF.

spartacus 02-18-2020 11:19 AM

check the u joints for play and flex plate for cracks if auto.

badattitude 02-18-2020 11:49 AM

This sounds like gear oil on the rear brake shoes. Check rear axle seals. Yes, gear oil on rear shoes can cause front calipers to grab, it also causes the rear shoes to grab especially when cold. Check for clogged diff breather too.

plcfcng 02-18-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97Cruiser40th (Post 3444762)
Sorry folks long title but racking my brain for cause. Behavior is intermittent and the title doesnt describe noise well, it feels/sounds like when a caliper breaks free thats seized to rotor. The oddness is it never happens when I put in reverse 1st to back out but when shift it into drive and press gas pedal the noise happens.

I have inspected brake shoes and calipers with no silver bullet found. It happens when it sits for a while historically but cant tie it to specific duration of sitting.

I am open to other possible causes for this and why putting in reverse doesnt cause an issue but when put into drive right after reverse the behavior exists. Drove at length yesterday after sitting for a while (approx 1 week) and no issue.

Have someone drive the car while you stand outside of it to narrow down the location of the noise :brick:

JMat 02-18-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badattitude (Post 3444811)
This sounds like gear oil on the rear brake pads. Check rear axle seals. Yes, gear oil on rear shoes can cause front calipers to grab, it also causes the rear shoes to grab especially when cold.

I had the same issue and this was the reason.

phattyduck 02-18-2020 02:17 PM

Driveshaft slip joint? That would happen when driving off after coming to a (semi-hard) stop too.

-Charlie

97Cruiser40th 02-18-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badattitude (Post 3444811)
This sounds like gear oil on the rear brake shoes. Check rear axle seals. Yes, gear oil on rear shoes can cause front calipers to grab, it also causes the rear shoes to grab especially when cold. Check for clogged diff breather too.

Thanks folks for all replies

This was my initial thought as well yanked both front and rear off though the sound seemed come from rear and all dry.

Havent checked breather but will do so.

Would cracked axle seals cause this issue?

I just dont understand why this doesnt happen in reverse.

badattitude 02-18-2020 03:08 PM

Yes, leaking or cracked axle seals cause the weird brake sticking. Not sure why its not happening in reverse. It did for me. Mine would require a bit of throttle to back up after sitting. Then would pop, release and be fine until I parked again. The leaking rear seal also caused the front calipers to lock up when coming to a slow stop. Super weird I know.

JMat 02-18-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badattitude (Post 3444976)
Yes, leaking or cracked axle seals cause the weird brake sticking. Not sure why its not happening in reverse. It did for me. Mine would require a bit of throttle to back up after sitting. Then would pop, release and be fine until I parked again. The leaking rear seal also caused the front calipers to lock up when coming to a slow stop. Super weird I know.

Mine didn't do it in reverse either.

97Cruiser40th 02-19-2020 12:49 PM

Thanks agin all, sounds like with absence of leaking diffs contributing to sticking shoes and pads the next likely culprit is axle seals?

phattyduck 02-19-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97Cruiser40th (Post 3445517)
Thanks agin all, sounds like with absence of leaking diffs contributing to sticking shoes and pads the next likely culprit is axle seals?

That's the same problem. The leak comes out inside the brake drum area and gets on the brake shoes. Unless you removed the brake shoes to check for oily build-up inside, you won't know if that is your problem or not.

-Charlie

97Cruiser40th 02-19-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3445542)
That's the same problem. The leak comes out inside the brake drum area and gets on the brake shoes. Unless you removed the brake shoes to check for oily build-up inside, you won't know if that is your problem or not.

-Charlie

Thanks Charlie my bad on terms. I am told the front axle boots are torn and leaking grease, would that be a cause of my issue? I could not verify this and relying on a shops inspection. I did not see any sign of grease thrown around.

I have pulled all 4 corners of wheels and no sign of any leaks or impingement to shoes or pads.

MStudt 02-19-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97Cruiser40th (Post 3445593)
Thanks Charlie my bad on terms. I am told the front axle boots are torn and leaking grease, would that be a cause of my issue? I could not verify this and relying on a shops inspection. I did not see any sign of grease thrown around.

I have pulled all 4 corners of wheels and no sign of any leaks or impingement to shoes or pads.

Yes, that could be the cause of your issue. Especially if it's been torn for a while, dried up, and had debris in the CV.

Also, a leaking axle is visible without having to put forth any work. Just look at the inside of your rear tires. You'll see the fluid running down the tire.

Mike