Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Help Needed - Coil Springs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/283206-help-needed-coil-springs.html)

femonav 02-19-2020 08:52 AM

Help Needed - Coil Springs

Hi guys.

I need your advise/recommendation. I bought for my 4Runner 2000 Limited 4WD the following:

2 x KYB SM5184 Strut mount
2 X Bilstein 24-248730
2 X Bilstein 24-249966

Do I need to buy any additional parts?

Which coil springs do you recommend?

Thanks for your help [emoji106]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

phattyduck 02-19-2020 01:48 PM

If you are happy with the current ride height, keep your current springs. If not, what is the measurement from the center of your hub to the fender lip on each corner and how much do you want to lift it?

-Charlie

jross20 02-19-2020 02:14 PM

Lots of options. Depends on what you want to do.

My personally, I like to maintain down-travel articulation so I don't lift the front much. Perhaps 880s are fine for you if you want some lift? Or you can get the "highland edition" coils. They are like stock but an 1" taller if I am not mistaken. Great if you want that oem ride vs a firmer ride.

I'm debating on trying some 1st Gen tundra trd coils on my tundra 5100s. I have 880s now and the ride is rough with these shocks to me. But rough to me may not be rough to you, vice versa.

Are you getting 4runner specific 5100s?

As for the rear, I personally would go well with the 890s. I had 906's but they were too short. With 890s and tundra 5100s my rear flex is crazy. (To me at least)

Also, make sure to extend the brake lines. Might as well flush the system when you swap the lines

Lately, change the front upper and lower ball joints if you have not already. Critical maintenance items!

femonav 02-19-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3445548)
If you are happy with the current ride height, keep your current springs. If not, what is the measurement from the center of your hub to the fender lip on each corner and how much do you want to lift it?

-Charlie

Thanks Charlie. I want to lift it no more than 3”. The intention is also to have a comfortable ride.

Any suggestion?

femonav 02-19-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jross20 (Post 3445564)
Lots of options. Depends on what you want to do.

My personally, I like to maintain down-travel articulation so I don't lift the front much. Perhaps 880s are fine for you if you want some lift? Or you can get the "highland edition" coils. They are like stock but an 1" taller if I am not mistaken. Great if you want that oem ride vs a firmer ride.

I'm debating on trying some 1st Gen tundra trd coils on my tundra 5100s. I have 880s now and the ride is rough with these shocks to me. But rough to me may not be rough to you, vice versa.

Are you getting 4runner specific 5100s?

As for the rear, I personally would go well with the 890s. I had 906's but they were too short. With 890s and tundra 5100s my rear flex is crazy. (To me at least)

Also, make sure to extend the brake lines. Might as well flush the system when you swap the lines

Lately, change the front upper and lower ball joints if you have not already. Critical maintenance items!

Thanks for the advise jross. Yes I have the 5100 Bilsteins made for the Toyota 4runner 3gens.

I wanted to lift it a little bit, no more than 3” and lookink for comfortable ride as well.

Any suggestion

jross20 02-20-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by femonav (Post 3445882)
Thanks for the advise jross. Yes I have the 5100 Bilsteins made for the Toyota 4runner 3gens.

I wanted to lift it a little bit, no more than 3” and lookink for comfortable ride as well.

Any suggestion

Well, it's up to you but just remember that the higher you lift the more down travel you lose. As in, how far the wheels can travel down. I believe stock is up 4 down 4. With my tundra 5100s up front and the 880 coils I actually have 4" of down travel since the Tundra 5100s are a wee bit longer.

If your don't want much lift and want comfort, I would get the Highlander edition coils. Not the vehicle called the Highlander, there was a third gen 4Runner that was called the Highlander edition and it sat 1" higher.

Another could be other coils that might be a better option, these are just the only ones I am aware of.

4runnerfiend 02-20-2020 12:22 PM

the "highlander" coils are mostly called 99 talls. They are found on pretty much all 1999 4runners although i'm sure there are exceptions. The alternate to these 99 talls is 5th gen springs. You will yield about the same amount of lift IE 1" but they are way easier to find, and typically will have way less miles. I literally yesterday just swapped out my 99 talls for a set off a 2016 SR5. They are installed on the 4th perch of Tundra 5100's and I've got over 23" hub to fender. I'm sure they will settle a little.

phattyduck 02-20-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by femonav (Post 3445878)
Thanks Charlie. I want to lift it no more than 3”. The intention is also to have a comfortable ride.

Any suggestion?

Stay well below a 3" lift if you want comfortable.

Unless you are going to carry weight, go with new OEM "99 Tall" springs in the front and then choose rear springs that will work with what you want (rear 99 Talls, OME 2890, OME 2906, or FJ Cruiser or 5th gen 4Runner springs)

A body lift will also help you get visual height (and body clearance for larger tires) with no loss of comfort.

-Charlie

mattman 02-22-2020 10:29 AM

Where can you get new OEM 99 springs?
I have a 2000 that is fine, but recently got a 2002 that sits lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian. 02-22-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattman (Post 3447342)
Where can you get new OEM 99 springs?
I have a 2000 that is fine, but recently got a 2002 that sits lower.

New? Dealer.

Used? Classifieds here (and other places), parts yards, etc...

Aftermarket? You said OEM... so, nope.