Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   When should I replace diff oil? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/283219-when-should-i-replace-diff-oil.html)

amir_gh 02-19-2020 02:56 PM

When should I replace diff oil?

Hello guys,

I have about 41k on the my 2016 4runner limited .Since I got it used, I am not sure if the previews owner did it. When should I replace my differential oil? Should I replace transfer case oil too?

Thanks

spartacus 02-19-2020 03:10 PM

Its's fairly straight forward. undo the fill plug before the drain plug. just do it as cheap insurance.

Front and Rear Diff fluid change

badattitude 02-19-2020 03:11 PM

Some do it at 30K and 60K. I'm very comfortable performing the Diff and Transfer case service between 60-90K miles. I'm at 60K now on a 2015 Limited and am not in a rush. Maybe next summer. I will use the special expensive Toyota Gear Oil 75w in the transfer case. Just me being particualr about the oil in the transfer case. I'm not so concerned about what I put in the diffs.

amir_gh 02-19-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3445615)
Its's fairly straight forward. undo the fill plug before the drain plug. just do it as cheap insurance.

Front and Rear Diff fluid change

Prefect thanks for the link.

amir_gh 02-19-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badattitude (Post 3445618)
Some do it at 30K and 60K. I'm very comfortable performing the Diff and Transfer case service between 60-90K miles. I'm at 60K now on a 2015 Limited and am not in a rush. Maybe next summer. I will use the special expensive Toyota Gear Oil 75w in the transfer case. Just me being particualr about the oil in the transfer case. I'm not so concerned about what I put in the diffs.

Great thanks

catrains 02-19-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amir_gh (Post 3445601)
Hello guys,
I have about 41k on the my 2016 4runner limited .Since I got it used, I am not sure if the previews owner did it. When should I replace my differential oil? Should I replace transfer case oil too?
Thanks

I check the drive train fluids on my oil changes. @3K miles on it the rear diff was a dark gray color.. changed it .. 2016 SR5 4WD.
last nov 2019 diff oil and other drive train fluids still look good.

check the color and condition of the gear oils.
the other issue . well NOW we must use the SN plus engine oil spec... this got approved in may 2018 . engine very quiet on cold start.

read the back of the oil bottle for SN PLUS not just SN....have fun

Sky 02-19-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catrains (Post 3445676)
I check the drive train fluids on my oil changes. @3K miles on it the rear diff was a dark gray color.. changed it .. 2016 SR5 4WD.
last nov 2019 diff oil and other drive train fluids still look good.

check the color and condition of the gear oils.
the other issue I had was we all have fuel direct injection engines. well NOW we must use the SN plus engine oil spec... this got approved in may 2018 because manufactures had many of these engines damaged because of the direct fuel injection.

read the back of the oil bottle for SN PLUS not just SN....have fun

Uhh No- the 4.0 is not a direct injection engine.

catrains 02-19-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 3445875)
Uhh No- the 4.0 is not a direct injection engine.

Yes I did make a mistake on the direct fuel injection comment .. DFI dumps fuel into the combustion chamber ..

on the 4L engine .SFI.sequential fuel injection system with twelve-hole fuel nozzles for each cylinder..

because I did change to SN PLUS the runner is very quiet on cold starts.
moly keeps it quiet no ticking on any cold start. 800PPM moly.

pDubs 02-19-2020 10:38 PM

On my 3rd 4runner now, have always done 50k mile intervals for both diffs and transfer case.

ElectroBoy 02-19-2020 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by catrains (Post 3445927)
Yes I did make a mistake on the direct fuel injection comment .. DFI dumps fuel into the combustion chamber ..

on the 4L engine .SFI.sequential fuel injection system with twelve-hole fuel nozzles for each cylinder..

because I did change to SN PLUS the runner is very quiet on cold starts.
moly keeps it quiet no ticking on any cold start. 800PPM moly.

The Toyota 0W-20 Synthetic is labeled as API SN and SN PLUS. I presume this is what you used.
More info:
API SN Plus: Fast Tracking New Engine Oil Specifications | F&L Asia

API | Latest Oil Classifications

ghost.runner 02-20-2020 12:52 AM

If you do not do much off-roading, you can get away with changing fluids at longer intervals. I like to do mine every 15K miles in the wet PNW climate, even though I'm on pavement around 99 miles out of 100. Just a force of habit from my Jeep days, but I also like the peace of mind.

catrains 02-20-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroBoy (Post 3445978)
The Toyota 0W-20 Synthetic is labeled as API SN and SN PLUS. I presume this is what you used.
More info:
API SN Plus: Fast Tracking New Engine Oil Specifications | F&L Asia

API | Latest Oil Classifications

ya that is what I used nov2019 it works no cold start ticking ..

gsla72 02-20-2020 01:26 PM

Just changed my diff fluids out about a week ago - 45k miles on the fluid (factory fill). I sent a sample off for analysis and it came back squeaky clean. My vehicle seens mostly highway miles and has not been through much if any deep water.

As with everything oil related, your specific usage is going to set the timing for when to replace fluids. Unless you know the previous owner of your truck, it's safer to assume that no fluid maintenance was performed if there are no records of it.

If you've driven through deep water without having completed the diff breather mod you may want to change the fluid just in case regardless.

Grug556 02-20-2020 01:46 PM

Where you gonna get the synthetic factory 75w90? I couldnt even find any dealers who even stock it let alone use it on vehicles. They all use mineral based due cost and lack of routine use.

I doubt you will find a dealer in NA who uses the factory fluid in a refill of a diff.

Dynamo 02-20-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grug556 (Post 3446316)
Where you gonna get the synthetic factory 75w90? I couldnt even find any dealers who even stock it let alone use it on vehicles. They all use mineral based due cost and lack of routine use.

I doubt you will find a dealer in NA who uses the factory fluid in a refill of a diff.

Red Line makes OEM compatible fluids that list the specific Toyota part numbers. Look under the OEM Compatibility tab of each and you will see what I mean. I bought some for my FJ Cruiser but ended up trading it in for my T4R so I will use it in it instead.

Toyota/Lexus 08885-02506 equivalent

Toyota/Lexus transfer case fluid "Genuine Gear Oil LF 75W“ 08885-81080 equivalent