Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Prinsu Snowboard Rack (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/283223-prinsu-snowboard-rack.html)

Chilow 02-19-2020 03:53 PM

Prinsu Snowboard Rack

Anyone on here mount a snowboard rack onto your Prinsu? I'm in the market for a snowboard rack and not sure if they're compatible for the Prinsu. Any pictures of existing setups are greatly appreciated.

El Dusty 02-19-2020 04:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilow (Post 3445667)
Anyone on here mount a snowboard rack onto your Prinsu? I'm in the market for a snowboard rack and not sure if they're compatible for the Prinsu. Any pictures of existing setups are greatly appreciated.

Im pretty happy with my setup and glad it came out low profile. Links to the products are below.

FatCat 6 EVO
SmarT-Slot Kit 2 - Snow - Activity

Only notes are that the bolts included in the smart slot kit do need minor modification of the heads to fit inside the groves of the prinsu slots. After that you just bolt up and go. Due to the low profile nature of this setup I needed to remove two of the crossbars (see pics) so that I could throw snowboards in upside down. Otherwise the bindings and bars will make it very hard to close the rack.

pDubs 02-19-2020 10:28 PM

Yeah I have an old Yakima one that I removed the mounts off of, and used a 1/4-20 bolt in a tnut in the rail. This made the snowboard rack completely flush with the crossbar and low profile.

You can also just use the clamp mounts that come with, as the crossbars will work just like OEM crossbars.

Gingahrunnah 02-22-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dusty (Post 3445687)
Only notes are that the bolts included in the smart slot kit do need minor modification of the heads to fit inside the groves of the prinsu slots. After that you just bolt up and go. Due to the low profile nature of this setup I needed to remove two of the crossbars (see pics) so that I could throw snowboards in upside down. Otherwise the bindings and bars will make it very hard to close the rack.

I’m curious how you altered the t-nut... I have this for my ski rack but ended up going with the clamp setup because the t-nut wouldn’t fit in the slots. I’m using the Victory 4x4 rack.

The clamp system took me a while to install and the t-slot system is not only lower profile, but much easier to set up IMO.

Did you also have to alter the spacers? Mine have tabs that look wider than opening on the rack.

El Dusty 02-23-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingahrunnah (Post 3447482)
I’m curious how you altered the t-nut... I have this for my ski rack but ended up going with the clamp setup because the t-nut wouldn’t fit in the slots. I’m using the Victory 4x4 rack.

The clamp system took me a while to install and the t-slot system is not only lower profile, but much easier to set up IMO.

Did you also have to alter the spacers? Mine have tabs that look wider than opening on the rack.

That is correct. I trimmed the rectangular spacer tabs off completely.

My kit came with t-bolts not t-nuts and did need modification. If you hold up the t-bolt head to the profile of your slot you can get an idea of the material that needs to be removed. I trimmed mine with an angle grinder/cutoff wheel. Grind, test fit and repeat until you have a good fit.

It’s a bit of extra work to fit it just right but the connection to the rack is stout. I never have been a fan of the strap on connections and I really don’t think they are intended for the wide rectangular shape of these racks.

Gingahrunnah 03-02-2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dusty (Post 3447746)
That is correct. I trimmed the rectangular spacer tabs off completely.

My kit came with t-bolts not t-nuts and did need modification. If you hold up the t-bolt head to the profile of your slot you can get an idea of the material that needs to be removed. I trimmed mine with an angle grinder/cutoff wheel. Grind, test fit and repeat until you have a good fit.

It’s a bit of extra work to fit it just right but the connection to the rack is stout. I never have been a fan of the strap on connections and I really don’t think they are intended for the wide rectangular shape of these racks.

Thanks for the details. I’m holding on to my t-bolts (misspoke before) in hopes I get access to the correct equipment to alter them.