Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Parking Brake Light (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/283285-parking-brake-light.html)

Tyronmar 02-21-2020 12:00 PM

Parking Brake Light

My parking brake light keeps randomly coming on. It usually happens when I'm turning or speeding up. It turns off after a little bit, but I'm not sure what's causing it. Anyone having similar problems or have any ideas? Thanks

TheDurk 02-21-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyronmar (Post 3446881)
My parking brake light keeps randomly coming on. It usually happens when I'm turning or speeding up. It turns off after a little bit, but I'm not sure what's causing it. Anyone having similar problems or have any ideas? Thanks

Check brake fluid level.

Outrider 02-21-2020 07:35 PM

Mine does too, and the first thing I checked was the brake fluid level, which was and still is fine, and my brakes work fine. I think on mine, it is purely an electrical thing, like a switch gone bad.

spartacus 02-21-2020 08:18 PM

The brake fluid level has to be at the max line or a little above it.

brillo_76 02-21-2020 08:30 PM

If it is not your brake fluid sensor. What about the emergency brake switch that's on the emergency break handle?

Outrider 02-22-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3447167)
The brake fluid level has to be at the max line or a little above it.

I do believe that was the problem with mine - thanks. It was about 1/2" below the full line. I topped it off and will keep an eye on it to confirm.

Outrider 03-12-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outrider (Post 3447496)
I do believe that was the problem with mine - thanks. It was about 1/2" below the full line. I topped it off and will keep an eye on it to confirm.

Update on mine: When I topped off the reservoir, plus just a little more, my dash brake light has not come on again. That was it. I'm glad it wasn't a failing switch, and especially glad that it wasn't a failing hydraulic cylinder.