Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off-Roading (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/)
-   -   How Do You Change a Tire (Jack Recommendations)? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/283652-how-do-you-change-tire-jack-recommendations.html)

Munson 03-03-2020 07:05 AM

How Do You Change a Tire (Jack Recommendations)?

Hi All,

Looking for recommendations on how ya'll with lifted rigs change a tire either on the side of the road or a trail (not at home). I have about a 2.5" lift using Icon Stage 2. I have a hi-lift jack but stock bumpers. I dont trust my N-Fab bolt-on "sliders" as a jack point for the hi-lift unless someone has information to the contrary.

I'm thinking the best option for me is to get a floor jack but I have no room to keep it inside the truck and secured. I was thinking about putting it in a case on my roof rack but that would not only raise the center of my gravity but also be heavy lifting up and down.

What is ya'lls plan if you get a flat while out?

Thanks,

M

Sea_ledford 03-03-2020 11:44 AM

Have you tried the stock jack? I have a 3" lift and I can get any wheel off the ground with the stock jack with room to spare. Rear wheels are easy since you are lifting the axle, but the front is a frame lift behind the front wheel. I should also note I'm on stock sized tires.

I have not done that offroad yet, but I have a hi-lift base plate that'll stabilize and lift the base of the jack a little bit.

There is also safe jacks: Safe Jack - 4WD, Outdoor,Off road, 4X4 accessories and products.

and I found a guy that makes top adapter for the stock toyota jacks here:Jack Adapters - Land Cruiser Products - LCP

I've asked on the safe jack website if their adapters will fit over the toyota bottle jack and haven't ever heard back, but based on measurements, it wont work. Which is a bummer, I'd like to get their extension set, but not sure I want a hydraulic bottle jack to use it.

Munson 03-06-2020 03:26 AM

You got me! I haven't tried the stock jack yet...but I did use it when the truck was stock and I wasn't really a fan.

However....that safe jack looks awesome, I think that will work great for what I am looking for! I really appreciate it!

M

cotto4 03-11-2020 09:26 AM

Thanks for sharing!

Justthemechanic 03-11-2020 06:52 PM

I carry a Powerbuilt jack. It has a nice wide base, locks like a jack stand and its not too large. It works well for me.

6000 Lb. Unijack Bottle Jack & Jackstand in One – Powerbuilt Tools

Drunner97 03-12-2020 01:28 PM

Stock jack works fine under the rear axle or under the lca in the front on a flat surface. You just have to load the suspension enough to get the tire off and back on. You don't need a lot of clearance if you're just changing a tire.

patkelly4370 03-12-2020 03:45 PM

You also don't want a jack that is too tall to get under a jack point when the tire is flat.
Stock jack + 6 ton bottle jack + 2"x6"x12" + 4"x6"x12" has sufficed for more situations than I've encountered

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TomasON 04-15-2020 11:23 AM

thanks for the tips.

Reinout 04-15-2020 11:46 AM

I also have stock bumpers (no hi-lift jack points) and have been looking into the air jacks: Amazon.com: Honhill 4T Exhaust Air Jack Inflatable Jack for SUV Car Truck Off-Road Rescue: Automotive

I can't find a reason NOT to get one to toss in the truck (or car). Will work on looser terrain as well such as snow and sand.