Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Dont borrow my 4runner (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/283791-dont-borrow-my-4runner.html)

3bears 03-06-2020 08:39 PM

Dont borrow my 4runner

is it just me.... but seems like every time a family member borrows my 4runner
that when I get back in it something is wrong....or a mess
usually nothing big...mickey dee wrappers on floor in back from kids...……
.....low on gas....common
yesterday was ( at night) does your truck have dome lights....( they were working the other night)
sometimes I just want to say.....no touch my 4runner

luckily its been nothing major like when my kids were young...no pulling them out of the mud late at night....no broken seat recliners :girl:

cblock406 03-06-2020 08:45 PM

Mine got stolen in 2016 and was recovered exactly two weeks later...so you could say it was borrowed. They did some real crackhead $h1t to it and absolutely trashed the interior, it turned it into a fun project for about a year fixing everything.

Bumbo 03-06-2020 08:57 PM

No one has really asked me to borrow the 4Runner… to be honest I don’t think I would let someone borrow it considering how much work I put into it. I just don’t want to deal with a “what-if” scenario because I actually really like the thing.

My truck on the other hand seems to be a hot ticket item for non-truck owners. Last time I let my wife’s sister borrow my Silverado they were so appreciative they washed it and returned it with a full tank.

I pay close attention to how they treat my stuff because that would determine if they ever get to use it again. If people can’t take care of your stuff, don’t let them borrow it, or at least throw down some ground rules.

Brian. 03-06-2020 09:27 PM

Yeah, I don't lend out my stuff. Doesn't matter if it's a #2 pencil, a vehicle or a property. No one respects my stuff in the same way that I do, and Never has anyone offered to make things right after use (if it actually comes back in the first place).

So, just tell folks no. Or, if they are people you want to help, offer to help so you can supervise the use of your vehicle. In most cases it's a better bet to go toss $30 at uhall for a day-use truck/van anyway.

Jidaran 03-07-2020 12:57 AM

I haven't had to many requests to borrow the 4Runner so far, but I'm always happy to lend it out. Gotta show people what they're missing out on. Maybe even convince a friend to get a 3rd Gen for their next ride... Kinda like a 4Runner evangelist I guess. But TBH I'm sure if I get burned my tune might change.

PNW RJ 03-07-2020 11:50 AM

I agree with getting a U-haul -- more sizes to choose from, too. I don't even let a valet drive my 4Runner for 100 yards.

Sparky 97Runner 03-07-2020 01:15 PM

BORROWER:
Can I borrow your 4Runner?

ME:
Hell No

BORROWER:
Why not?

ME:
Because I said so

:sleep:

mtbtim 03-07-2020 02:58 PM

I don't like lending out my rigs. The only person who drives them is my girlfriend and that's only when it's absolutely necessary. It's one of those things that if it gets damaged or in an accident, you will be mad and maybe hold animosity towards that person. Most of us put a lot of time and money into our rigs know no insurance claim is going to do us justice. We are going to be majorly on the losing end.

The same goes for lending out tools. I will reluctantly lend them out but only to people who I have wrenched with and who are my friends. But, for the most part, I don't lend out tools because like others have stated, shit happens and it's hard to find people that will take care of your things as well as you take care of them. Like I said, it's just a potential situation for you to hold animosity towards someone for screwing something up you spent your hard earned money on.

brillo_76 03-07-2020 06:06 PM

My brother is about the only other person that drives the 4 Runners. He is about 6 6 and barely fixs in it. We share the business vehicles. He likes to leave empty plastic bottles and bags in the rides.

Now it never fails that you need the tool that you buddy borrowed. So if I borrow a tool it goes back to the owner as soon as possible. Nothing burns me up more then when I need to track down my tools.

I rather have the borrowers use the tools on premises. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

2ndhandyotaman 03-07-2020 06:48 PM

My rule of thumb for lending out anything is: Does the potential borrower have a similar object of similar value? Years ago I lent out my F350 to a buddy only because he had a similar vehicle and he took care of his own things.

The only time I've ever lent out tools was when it was someone with an equally sized tool box or a similar type of power tool, that assured me that they were fully aware of the cost and importance of those kinds of things.

The casual person that wants to borrow something because they're too cheap to rent one on their own, they don't get nothing!

The few times that I've borrowed a vehicle, it always comes back full of fuel and a quick run through a car wash. It's just a simple common courtesy as far as I'm concerned.

Thebeastlives 03-07-2020 09:27 PM

Well i might be the exception on this thread but i let my kids borrow my 3rd gen and even my Tundra when they ask. After all I raised these boys from infants and they have been told how to take care of my cars and trucks. They have even borrowed my different bmws and fortunately never had a problem with my decision.

spartacus 03-07-2020 10:32 PM

My brothers, sisters, brother in laws, father in law. when they visit from out east drive my cars with their families. I drive their vehicles when I visit them. so it's a wash.

Taco_Runner 03-08-2020 12:14 AM

Depends on the person, although it is funny how sometimes things happen to go wrong with your stuff when someone else has it.
The wife drives my 4runner every so often due to me not being home. It's worked fine for me for the last year I've had it, but all of a sudden theres "weird noises" coming from the front tires somewhere. Maybe I just never noticed it, then again it is almost a 20 year old vehicle.

jross20 03-08-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblock406 (Post 3454477)
Mine got stolen in 2016 and was recovered exactly two weeks later...so you could say it was borrowed. They did some real crackhead $h1t to it and absolutely trashed the interior, it turned it into a fun project for about a year fixing everything.

Not only would I have filed charges, I would have sued them for property damage haha

APhelps 03-08-2020 11:41 AM

meh.. its a 4runner. I'll pretty much let anyone drive / borrow my 4runner as long as they don't trash it.