Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Looking for a quick review on Falken Wildpeak MT tires (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/283883-looking-quick-review-falken-wildpeak-mt-tires.html)

juicehead666 03-09-2020 12:15 PM

Looking for a quick review on Falken Wildpeak MT tires

I am a Falken AT guy(on my third set over two different 4runners) Thinking about making a jump to the MTs as my requirements have changed. Curious how they ride, are they loud, how long they usually last, etc. Any help is appreciated. thank you.

Side note: if you dont approve of the falken MTs and have had better experience with a different MT tire, please let me know. I am open to anything.

drewsro 03-09-2020 01:05 PM

Might want to use the search function. There's whole threads about this tire already.

Ryan at Eibach 03-09-2020 01:59 PM

Im on 285 Falken MT's right now and really like them. They ride very smooth and don't make a ton of noise. I only have 1,000 miles on them now, but pretty happy with the purchase.

mcat707 03-10-2020 12:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
285/70/17 Falken Wildpeak M/T

I just picked up a set of 5 today for $500 on Craigslist. 4 of them has 1600 miles on them and the spare has zero. Came off a 2020 Jeep Wrangler. Can’t wait to slap them on.

TRDHULK 04-10-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewsro (Post 3455593)
Might want to use the search function. There's whole threads about this tire already.

Mind sharing? I did a search of "Wildpeak" and no thread dedicated to this tire showed up.

honda250xtitan 04-10-2020 02:54 PM

uh google.....

mcat707 04-10-2020 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I’ll add a little review since I slapped on those Falken Wildpeak M/T’s I got pictured above.

I came from a 265/70/17 mud terrain tire (some offshore brand) to the 285/70/17’s and the noise is slightly quieter than the previous smaller set. I do feel the heavier weight compared to the old set and I’m sure my gas mileage has went down slightly but that was to be expected but I do need to add that I did install a 2/1.5 Cornfed Spacer lift kit when I installed these tires, so that would also contribute to getting less MPG’s. I roughly put on 600 road miles on this set so far (my T4R is not my daily driver) and the ride quality is better than the previous set also. I don’t feel that “knobby” ride feeling, kinda like rolling over a cobble stone road as I did on the off brand M/T’s I had. I like the overall look of the Falken Wildpeak MT’s, one of the reasons I chose it over the BFG KM3’s which I originally wanted, which would also cost me over $1400 for a brand brand new set of 5. So I saved about $900 buying this barely used set for $500. Would I buy the Falkens the next time I need tires? Probably yes. I still need to get them off road and also see the longevity of the tread. I will rotate and balance them at every oil change.

So yes I would highly recommend the Falken Wildpeak M/T’s if you are looking for a mud terrain type of tire. Just expect road noise and slightly worse gas mileage.

TRDHULK 04-10-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honda250xtitan (Post 3470646)
uh google.....

So helpful..... Why do we even have forums when we have Google?...

I was asking drewsro since he specifically said there was a thread on THIS forum that I was apparently having trouble finding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcat707 (Post 3470732)
I’ll add a little review since I slapped on those Falken Wildpeak M/T’s I got pictured above.

I came from a 265/70/17 mud terrain tire (some offshore brand) to the 285/70/17’s and the noise is slightly quieter than the previous smaller set. I do feel the heavier weight compared to the old set and I’m sure my gas mileage has went down slightly but that was to be expected but I do need to add that I did install a 2/1.5 Cornfed Spacer lift kit when I installed these tires, so that would also contribute to getting less MPG’s. I roughly put on 600 road miles on this set so far (my T4R is not my daily driver) and the ride quality is better than the previous set also. I don’t feel that “knobby” ride feeling, kinda like rolling over a cobble stone road as I did on the off brand M/T’s I had. I like the overall look of the Falken Wildpeak MT’s, one of the reasons I chose it over the BFG KM3’s which I originally wanted, which would also cost me over $1400 for a brand brand new set of 5. So I saved about $900 buying this barely used set for $500. Would I buy the Falkens the next time I need tires? Probably yes. I still need to get them off road and also see the longevity of the tread. I will rotate and balance them at every oil change.

So yes I would highly recommend the Falken Wildpeak M/T’s if you are looking for a mud terrain type of tire. Just expect road noise and slightly worse gas mileage.

Awesome looking Runner and thanks for the feedback. I like these tires a lot and they are a few hundred cheaper than the Ridge Grapplers I was considering.

SHagood 04-10-2020 07:09 PM

I have +30k miles on my Wildpeak MTs and love them. I will try to run another 15-20k miles on them and buy the exact same tire again.

Great tire on and offroad. Feel free to look through my build thread, there should be some pictures of them getting beat to hell on rock. Plus, I drive 45min to work everyday and I still will never go back to ATs.

honda250xtitan 04-11-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDHULK (Post 3470777)
So helpful..... Why do we even have forums when we have Google?...

well it's a tire review, not a make/model technical writeup... :shrug:

sn_85 04-11-2020 10:10 PM

Expo review
Long Term Review: Falken Wildpeak M/T - Expedition Portal

SpeedyKevin 04-13-2020 06:13 AM

I just bought a set of used ones (under 10K) and will be mounting them tomorrow. Review will...eventually come after the lockdown. I'm coming from AT3Ws in LT-E. Had the for about 18k miles now and the wear has been minimal! still at 14/32 i think or 15. Have about 1500 off miles on them.

eevanskiteboards 04-13-2020 09:28 AM

I installed 265s about a month ago and couldn't be happier. I ran the 4 ply version and I have zero complaints. Hope this helps

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

SpeedyKevin 04-20-2020 01:20 AM

Just used my Wildpeak M/Ts offroad for the first time. Running them on the road at 36psi and didnt air down this time. Wow they are pretty damn comfortable off road when compared to my previous tire (stock size AT3W). Even my fiancee commented on the ride comfort and suggested we dont air down unless we are crawling lol. They powered through the mud with ease and the blocks cleared pretty fast. Will have to test more on rocks in the future.

On road, yea theres definitely a hum but its not too bad. Radio should help with that. Didn't annoy the fiancee but she did notice it. However, with the comfort being relatively the same on road and better off road, she says they are a keeper. Win for me!

02SE 04-20-2020 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juicehead666 (Post 3455564)

Side note: if you dont approve of the falken MTs and have had better experience with a different MT tire, please let me know. I am open to anything.

I've never used a Falken M/T, so I'd never say I didn't approve. I have had experience with Toyo M/T's. They are highly regarded and very tough (and heavy) but it might be another tire to research.