Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Anybody else ever fry their radio from jumping battery? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/283985-anybody-else-ever-fry-their-radio-jumping-battery.html)

rockdaddy80 03-12-2020 08:19 AM

Anybody else ever fry their radio from jumping battery?

Left my lights on and killed my battery. After jumping the battery I noticed my radio/antenna was dead but cigarette lighter worked as did everything else. My radio is a basic aftermarket Pioneer, no amp or anything fancy - it was already in the truck when I acquired it. All fuses, including ACC #18 checked out fine on multimeter. New radio deck on the way in mail, but anybody else ever had this happen? Maybe just an odd coincidence. I've probably jumped 100 different cars in my life and multiple Runners, never seen this before. Maybe from here on when I jump this truck I remove fuse #18 just to be sure this doesn't happen again.

AntleredRuin 03-12-2020 10:04 AM

The radio probably has a fuse plugged into the back of it. Try replacing that, or even just disconnecting/reconnecting the battery (seriously, I've seen that before)

Ed_C 03-12-2020 01:20 PM

Yup, there's usually an inline fuse on aftermarket radio wiring harnesses. I forgot what I was doing but I did pop my Alpine's inline fuse but none of the factory fuses.

rockdaddy80 03-12-2020 01:21 PM

Good call... thanks guys for the tips. Will report back...

brillo_76 03-12-2020 11:58 PM

Being the radios have a constant hot that feeds the presets and clock and that the radio was probably on when you jumped the battery. Makes it real easy to snap the fuse as the other users suggested.

Try to make sure everything is off when jumping a battery. Plus put your ground on the engine block if possible. As sadly so many people have a bad habit of reversing the leads thus causing major issues on their rigs.

The jump boxes that are available today are probably a lot safer to start a vehicle with then actually using jumper cables.

I have known people jumping newer vehicles and actually burning electronics and they didn't reverse the cables either.

So just wanted to add some information for future readers. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Lastplace 03-13-2020 06:05 AM

Last time I jumped my 2000 I toasted a coil pack.

shadow247 03-13-2020 02:54 PM

Radio Fuse in the radio. Every aftermarket radio I've ever seen has it's own fuse on the back of the radio. It's a 10 minute job to pull the radio and check it.