Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   What does this pan contain? It's not engine oil! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/283990-what-does-pan-contain-its-not-engine-oil.html)

Runnin4MO 03-12-2020 11:30 AM

What does this pan contain? It's not engine oil!

1 Attachment(s)
So with my mind elsewhere today, of course I do an oil change and drain the wrong damn pan! First i think, why is the oil coming out Purple? Then I think, thats no where near 6.5qt that came out of that pan. Ah, now i recall i have to take a damn plate off to get to the oil pan drain which i've done a 100 fuc@ing times before. $#@

ANYWAY, in the pic attached, what is the pan with the red arrow pointing to that I drained?
Thanks all!

vipergrhd 03-12-2020 11:34 AM

Tranny

That is your transmission pan it contains transmission fluid.

stooges459 03-12-2020 11:37 AM

That's your transmission pan. If you were able to catch the ATF as it drained, you can measure and put back the same amount. Might be a good time to check the fluid too (check for color, burnt smell, etc). To be safe/thorough, make sure to do a fluid level check at the proper temp to make sure you're not under/over filled.

honda250xtitan 03-12-2020 11:41 AM

hope your day job doesn't require use of your brain.

Runnin4MO 03-12-2020 11:52 AM

Perfect, 125k miles on it, needed to change it anyway.
Thanks guys!

<<<< 03-12-2020 12:04 PM

Honda250, that was little harsh. We all make mistakes. He owned up to it and totally got my respect. Running, no worries just get trans oil from the dealer put same amount back in and you are good.

spartacus 03-12-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runnin4MO (Post 3457217)
Perfect, 125k miles on it, needed to change it anyway.
Thanks guys!

you are not alone my neighbor did it to his Tacoma and then filled the engine with twice as much oil and drove without atf fluid until he noticed the transmission slipping. So you did the right thing by asking so kudos.

ProLee 03-12-2020 12:50 PM

My nephew did this exact same thing on his Lexus ISF, called me to ask why his transmission was slipping after he changed his engine oil. :rofl:

Runnin4MO 03-12-2020 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So a bit under 3.25qt came out of the Drain Hole (pic)... after reading through some articles I've gathered the following procedure:

-make sure the pan is perfectly level
-add 3.5qt (.25qt more then came out) in the Fill Hole (pic) of TOYOTA ATF WS fluid
-connect Techstream
-start the engine and move from P to D a few times to get the temp up to between 104-113F
-then while the engine is running, use a 5mm allen wrench and slightly unscrew the Overflow Plug (pic) and let any oil drain out, once it starts to drop, close it back up.

Does this sound about right?

Note 1: I also read that another option because i'm at 125k is to remove the pan completely, and clean the screen... then replace pan with a new gasket, and fill with the same above procedure.

Note 2: Then in another thread, they say to just drain the pan and refill like the procedure above, 3-4 times at 100 mile intervals to thin out the oil tranny fluid because their a full 12qt. in there. WTF?

Also, in the pic, is the arrow with the Fill Hole, correct? I can't find any pics of the damn bolt for the fill hole anywhere so I assume this is it.

97BlackAckCL 03-12-2020 12:55 PM

That's the blinker fluid reservoir :dizzy:

spartacus 03-12-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runnin4MO (Post 3457249)
So a bit under 3.25qt came out of the Drain Hole (pic)... after reading through some articles I've gathered the following procedure:

-make sure the pan is perfectly level
-add 3.5qt (.25qt more then came out) in the Fill Hole (pic) of TOYOTA ATF WS fluid
-connect Techstream
-start the engine and move from P to D a few times to get the temp up to between 104-113F
-then while the engine is running, use a 5mm allen wrench and slightly unscrew the Overflow Plug (pic) and let any oil drain out, once it starts to drop, close it back up.

Does this sound about right?

Note 1: I also read that another option because i'm at 125k is to remove the pan completely, and clean the screen... then replace pan with a new gasket, and fill with the same above procedure.

Note 2: Then in another thread, they say to just drain the pan and refill like the procedure above, 3-4 times at 100 mile intervals to thin out the oil tranny fluid because their a full 12qt. in there. WTF?

Also, in the pic, is the arrow with the Fill Hole, correct? I can't find any pics of the damn bolt for the fill hole anywhere so I assume this is it.

you have them marked correctly in the pics. Keep in mind that if you dont want to do it
Transmission fluid service. At the dealer is like 200 bucks not bad if you ask me. Frustration when working on cars is inevitable but I just get a drink and a breather and then go at it.

spartacus 03-12-2020 01:53 PM

@Runnin4MO this might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPhiIxs0VQM&feature=youtu.be

Runnin4MO 03-12-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3457277)

Exactly what i've been looking for. Thanks!

kenwilliams0803 03-13-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3457272)
you have them marked correctly in the pics. Keep in mind that if you dont want to do it

Transmission fluid service. At the dealer is like 200 bucks not bad if you ask me. Frustration when working on cars is inevitable but I just get a drink and a breather and then go at it.

I think it's more like $99 at my dealer whereas a brake flush is $199.

I've always done mine in the past and do it on all my other vehicles, but with no dipstick, and the whole trans temp. mode thing I just let them do it every 30-40k for $100.

Jivewalker 03-13-2020 01:03 PM

There is a great post on here somewhere where a member did the same thing, except then dumped 7 new qts of oil in and backed out of his garage! Posted for help on here, couldn't figure out where his engine oil went. He had 14qts of engine oil in the engine and none in the transmission. Was good humor, it's an easy mistake.