Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Best roof rack? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/284016-best-roof-rack.html)

Catahoulabulldog 03-13-2020 05:49 AM

Best roof rack?

I知 sure this has probably already been asked on her but I知 curious to see opinions on the best roof rack for my 4th gen. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

HarveyLewis 03-13-2020 06:32 AM

I'd recommend Gobi & Perkins, but there are plenty of other options out there too.

Catahoulabulldog 03-13-2020 06:51 AM

Checked out gobi which is quite pricey. Are they worth it?

Catahoulabulldog 03-13-2020 06:56 AM

Also should I get a full rack to replace the oem roof rails? Or just a basket style that mounts to oem rails? How strong are the oem roof rails?

That_Titanium_4RNR 03-13-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catahoulabulldog (Post 3457594)
I知 sure this has probably already been asked on her but I知 curious to see opinions on the best roof rack for my 4th gen. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

1st and best option imo is 4th Gen 4Runner Roof Rack | 2003-2009 4Runner | Sherpa Equipment Co. — Sherpa Equipment Company I run this one personally and love it.

Prinsu is another brand, along with Victory 4x4. They all make similar styles. Utilizing 80/20 Tslot extruded aluminum cross bars for ultimate modularity.

Doing a style of rack like this drastically increases strength over stock components

Catahoulabulldog 03-13-2020 08:13 AM

I’m liking that Sherpa! Thanks!

JuniorPigeon 03-13-2020 10:44 AM

I only have experience with Prinsu, on both my 4th and 5th gens. I definitely have liked them from the beginning. Very easy to customize and organize!

Inv4drZm 03-13-2020 10:46 AM

Gobi and ones like it are around 80 lbs. Newer aluminum ones are much lighter and strong enough for anything practical.

Catahoulabulldog 03-13-2020 11:48 AM

Thanks for all the input so far!

lsmo_guy 03-13-2020 12:26 PM

Suggestions

This is a topic that I have been pondering for a couple of weeks now.

What do you all suggest; that is under $500, is appropriate for vehicles with a sunroof, possibly installed with one person, etc?

I have a 2006 4Runner Limited, and from what I see of the full roof models, they would cover the sliding sunroof (would the sunroof still be able to open), and the half models (that allow for the sliding sunroof) look kinda funky.

Boort 03-13-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsmo_guy (Post 3457729)

What do you all suggest; that is under $500, is appropriate for vehicles with a sunroof, possibly installed with one person, etc?

I have a 2006 4Runner Limited, and from what I see of the full roof models, they would cover the sliding sunroof (would the sunroof still be able to open), and the half models (that allow for the sliding sunroof) look kinda funky.

I have the full length Sherpa Princeton rack on my 2006, No problems opening the sunroof. though IIRC it's about $800. Install took about 1 day but that was because I dropped one of the stock clip brackets into my headliner and needed to fish it out.

Boort

That_Titanium_4RNR 03-13-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsmo_guy (Post 3457729)

My Sherpa allows for the sunroof to operate in both all positions possible regardless of cross bar configuration. If having a cross bar above the sunroof impeding your view bothers you, you can always just slide it forward or aft the sunroof. It is not sub $500, but you will have a hard time finding one that is! Also I did mine by myself in a few hours, going VERY slow, as to not mess up anything during install.

0verland 03-13-2020 04:46 PM

I don't have personal experience with either but know people who have both and would go with Victory 4x4 or Sherpa. They seem to have the best build quality and customer service overall, I will be going with one or the other soon.

I wrote off Gobi a long time ago when they forgot where they came from and decided profits were above all, snuffing out the candle of a small entrepreneur with lawsuits. They won't get a dime of mine, but do as you will.

Catahoulabulldog 03-13-2020 09:39 PM

I知 definitely leaning towards Sherpa or Victory 4x4. I didn稚 really want aluminum but after seeing that their load capabilities are the same as the steel at half the weight it might be the way to go.

evan1242 03-13-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catahoulabulldog (Post 3457935)
I知 definitely leaning towards Sherpa or Victory 4x4. I didn稚 really want aluminum but after seeing that their load capabilities are the same as the steel at half the weight it might be the way to go.

I知 leaning towards Sherpa as well.