Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Squeak in Reverse (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/284089-squeak-reverse.html)

scottblink23 03-15-2020 04:40 PM

Squeak in Reverse

Curious to know if anyone has experienced the same squeak and can help me diagnose.

In reverse, coming from the rear, not when the brakes are applied, I hear a squeak. I brought it to the local service center where they rotated the tires, removed some brake dust and said "everything was tight back there"...

Anyways, has anyone had a similar squeaky issue?

Thanks.

andreylights 03-15-2020 04:47 PM

Did you replace the brakes recently? Does it happen all the time or only once you move it after the night or something?

Drift Monkey 03-15-2020 08:16 PM

Mine were doing that at low speed in both directions - I'm pretty sure it was because my pads were so low. Changed em out and the sound is gone.

scottblink23 03-15-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreylights (Post 3458605)
Did you replace the brakes recently? Does it happen all the time or only once you move it after the night or something?

No, they aren’t new. I had the service center test them and both front and rear were in great standing.

It happens every time I back up. Not just in the morning.

I’ve read it could be parking brake or u joints needing to be replaced??

sonicc 03-16-2020 09:49 AM

The easiest thing to try would be to just replace rear pads with new hardware.

importman 03-17-2020 04:46 AM

From your description it sounds like the wear indicators on the rear pads. Possibly the technician who looked at it only looked through the wheel or didn't look at the backside, (inboard) pads. They will squeal with or without applying the brakes, and particularly when moving in reverse. If so, a new set of pads will take care of it. Let us know what you find.

scottblink23 03-17-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by importman (Post 3459283)
From your description it sounds like the wear indicators on the rear pads. Possibly the technician who looked at it only looked through the wheel or didn't look at the backside, (inboard) pads. They will squeal with or without applying the brakes, and particularly when moving in reverse. If so, a new set of pads will take care of it. Let us know what you find.

Thank you for this!

MikeinNH67 03-17-2020 05:59 PM

You can also make sure your dust shields are not rubbing on the rotors. One other thing, sometimes a pebble can get jammed in there and make a squeek similar to this.

scottblink23 03-19-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeinNH67 (Post 3459548)
You can also make sure your dust shields are not rubbing on the rotors. One other thing, sometimes a pebble can get jammed in there and make a squeek similar to this.

Thanks!