Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Ditch light questions.. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/284136-ditch-light-questions.html)

Lifeline 03-17-2020 11:00 AM

Ditch light questions..

So I’m really thinking about adding some Ditch lights to my 5th Gen. I’m looking at the Rago low profile brackets with some Baja lights.

So for those that have them, can you share some pictures? Any pros or cons to ditch lights? How well do they hold up in sun & rain? Any problems with running them through the occasional car wash? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mudhorn 03-17-2020 11:56 AM

Got them and like them.
I went with spot because I wanted to avoid glare off the hood. But with my other lights I have them pointed out enough that a combo or flood would be nicer.
No problems with durability and damage. As long as you go with a quality light there should be no issue. Most cheaper lights are good in regard to brightness, but run the long term risk of moisture in the lens and faster fading/chipping.

Mudhorn 03-17-2020 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not the best photo

97BlackAckCL 03-17-2020 12:31 PM

Don't deal with Rago, CaliraisedLED's is a much better company to deal with and a better product

blksubykid 03-17-2020 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have never had an issue with Rago but I've also heard nothing but positive reviews with Caliraised. I have Rago's low profile with Baja Design Squadron Sports (Wide angle lens) and they are plenty bright. I was leaning towards S2 to be less intrusive but the squadrons are not noticeable anymore. Mine also sit out in the Cali sun all day and the aluminum faces on the Bajas are starting to fade a bit but no issues with moisture or functionality.

Not the best photo, but its the only one I have without running out and taking a new one.

Space King 03-17-2020 01:06 PM

^^^
This may sound stupid... but I always forget about the 2010-13 T4R. So when I saw that pic, at first I was like "What is going on with that dude's bumper? And what's the story on those headlights?"

TheJokingExplorer 03-17-2020 01:25 PM

I’m running BD squadron sports with Aragon brackets. No issues so far and the lights are plenty bright. I don’t really care how they look from the inside but other than that no issues. I will move them once I add a metal front bumper. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...51b2912fd3.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c94b826150.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

97BlackAckCL 03-17-2020 04:48 PM

I had the Ragos originally, and had to permanently modify my windshield cowling. I was not amused. I switched to the CaliRaised and the fitment is perfect, no modifications needed and I hate that I had to mangle my plastic cowling (but only I know that it's there)

For low profile you can't beat the CaliRaised, I also recently switched to their sideshooter LED pods and they are awesome

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d37113f84f.jpg

SoAZ4Runner 03-17-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 3459519)
I had the Ragos originally, and had to permanently modify my windshield cowling. I was not amused. I switched to the CaliRaised and the fitment is perfect, no modifications needed and I hate that I had to mangle my plastic cowling (but only I know that it's there)

For low profile you can't beat the CaliRaised, I also recently switched to their sideshooter LED pods and they are awesome

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d37113f84f.jpg

I second this. I don't have the low profile mounts but I have rago mounts (no cowling issues) with CaliRaised side shooters and I love them. The side through has kept no less than 3 deer and an elk off my truck on the Million Dollar Highway in CO.

Baja Designs 03-17-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifeline (Post 3459372)
So I’m really thinking about adding some Ditch lights to my 5th Gen. I’m looking at the Rago low profile brackets with some Baja lights.

So for those that have them, can you share some pictures? Any pros or cons to ditch lights? How well do they hold up in sun & rain? Any problems with running them through the occasional car wash? Thanks in advance for the help.

The biggest con with ditch lights is the glare that's thrown onto the hood. This can be annoying or even blinding to the driver. Although, we have many customers that run this setup in a wide cornering lens, pointed 45 degrees from the A-pillar. This would be the ideal setup for a ditch light application. I personally run a pair of S2 Pros in a spot lens pointed to the front of the vehicle as spot lights. The glare is there but it's not horrible in that setup. I haven't had any issues with a touch-less car wash on my mounts or lights. The lights are actually rated at IP69K, which means you can pressure wash them safely. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

-Paul M.

D4Krunner 03-17-2020 10:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I’m running Rago low pro brackets with Baja squadron pros amber combo. Haven’t had them too long but I’ve had squadron sports as fog for over a year and they are holding up great. I didn’t have to modify the cowling and I got the rock guard covers to protect them.

Friggin Idiot 03-18-2020 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baja Designs (Post 3459614)
The biggest con with ditch lights is the glare that's thrown onto the hood. This can be annoying or even blinding to the driver. Although, we have many customers that run this setup in a wide cornering lens, pointed 45 degrees from the A-pillar. This would be the ideal setup for a ditch light application.

This makes me wonder. If you could mount ditch lights on the bumper, how close would you get to the same result as mounting on the pillar? Obviously with the lower mounting you wouldn't get the same distance. Being mounted inside the grill like pictured would restrict how far perpendicular to the truck you'd get light as well. Would the setup be better with each side aimed outward? Or would it be better aimed crossways, driver's side pointing at passenger ditch and vice versa?

Attachment 356747

delloro 03-18-2020 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 3459519)
I had the Ragos originally, and had to permanently modify my windshield cowling. I was not amused. I switched to the CaliRaised and the fitment is perfect, no modifications needed and I hate that I had to mangle my plastic cowling (but only I know that it's there).

Now everybody knows! :D

tm965 03-18-2020 08:19 AM

caliraised brackets and baja squadron sport amber driving/combo here. i have them aimed slightly off center towards the front of the vehicle and the glare off the hood is not bad or distracting

jhguth 03-18-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friggin Idiot (Post 3459714)
This makes me wonder. If you could mount ditch lights on the bumper, how close would you get to the same result as mounting on the pillar? Obviously with the lower mounting you wouldn't get the same distance. Being mounted inside the grill like pictured would restrict how far perpendicular to the truck you'd get light as well. Would the setup be better with each side aimed outward? Or would it be better aimed crossways, driver's side pointing at passenger ditch and vice versa?

you're really losing the main point of ditch lights if you mount them in front of the wheels like that, in tight turns if there is no ambient light you can't see what your wheel is turning into because it's behind the light. normal driving it's not a big deal because you have spatial awareness and see it as you come up to it, but in technical driving that's not always the case.

that being said, i don't have ditch lights, i just shine a flashlight out the window to see what i need