Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Heat not functioning and dash noise (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/284157-heat-not-functioning-dash-noise.html)

Jasonredwood 03-18-2020 01:21 AM

Heat not functioning and dash noise

Here this evening. Huddled inside avoiding the virus. Decide that a pizza is in order. Hop in the car to get firewood and pizza and notice we don’t have any heat. About 20 mins in after fusing with the hvac controls we get a little heat and it sounds like there’s a Stoned squirrel runnin around in the dash behind the controls. The Upper radiator hose isn’t pressurizing though. After some googling it sounds like air mix motor or blend door motor, but that’s based off these 3rd gen threads I’m coming across.
Has this been an issue with the 4th gens, I’m sure it has? Anyone familiar with the diagnoses and fix?

JuniorPigeon 03-18-2020 01:14 PM

If your upper hose isn't getting hot, I'd lean more towards the thermostat as an easy place to start than controls/motors.

Warwicke36 03-18-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonredwood (Post 3459717)
Here this evening. Huddled inside avoiding the virus. Decide that a pizza is in order. Hop in the car to get firewood and pizza and notice we don’t have any heat. About 20 mins in after fusing with the hvac controls we get a little heat and it sounds like there’s a Stoned squirrel runnin around in the dash behind the controls. The Upper radiator hose isn’t pressurizing though. After some googling it sounds like air mix motor or blend door motor, but that’s based off these 3rd gen threads I’m coming across.
Has this been an issue with the 4th gens, I’m sure it has? Anyone familiar with the diagnoses and fix?

Sounds like a bad actuator motor. To confirm does your coolant temp gauge go to the middle normal position or not? If the gauge reads normal your thermostat and coolant lever are likely fine.

I suspect my blend door is going out too. I get cool air on low and hot on 65 or above. I am biding my time as the book calls for 5 hours for the repair. I have done a few dozen on my fleet vehicles and they are rarely fun.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Jasonredwood 03-18-2020 04:01 PM

Yeah the coolant gauge goes to the middle as normal.
The radiator over flow hose is getting a work out though. Steam is coming out of the overflow vent hose periodically.

As long as the temp stays in the normal range we should be okay to use the truck yeah?