Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Audio upgrade? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/284158-audio-upgrade.html)

Butters_14 03-18-2020 03:53 AM

Audio upgrade?

Hi everyone,

Pretty sure i blew my passenger side door speaker. Looking at what kind of speaker i should replace it with or just upgrade all of them if anybody has some good recommendations. not looking to break the bank since im out of work due to the virus craze but for the right deal/bang for your buck i'd seriously consider. Let me know!

llDemonll 03-18-2020 11:07 AM

Upgrade them all. Stock ones are trash.

PowerBass have factory-style plug-and-play, as does Focal.

If you want to use adapter rings, any 6x9 components for the front (woofers in the door, tweeters in the dash), and 6.5" in the rear doors (and hatch if you want)

mteolus 03-18-2020 11:13 AM

There are a lot of options and plenty of topics on this, but here is one of them.

Also, there are topics on replacing the dash speakers. You can replace them with no modifications if you buy stock Subaru speakers or you can make modifications and install a 3.5 inch speaker the dash.

Beware though, some comment that the sound is much better if you just replace the stock speakers, some say not so much. I guess you could buy one speaker since you already have one blown and then see what happens before you decide on replacing all of them. The speakers in the very back hatch you can probably just leave alone unless you do a lot of tailgating.

Butters_14 03-19-2020 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llDemonll (Post 3459802)
Upgrade them all. Stock ones are trash.

PowerBass have factory-style plug-and-play, as does Focal.

If you want to use adapter rings, any 6x9 components for the front (woofers in the door, tweeters in the dash), and 6.5" in the rear doors (and hatch if you want)

are the 6x9 and 6.5" plug and play? is there a specific style/size i should be looking for? and is there a major difference between going plug and play vs. using ones with adapter rings. sorry about the many questions, just dont know a lot of the specifics when it comes to this

Smitty19TRD 03-19-2020 08:29 AM

If you want plug and play, I just installed the Kenwood Excelon KFC-XP6902C in my Dad's Tundra. It sounded much better than I actually thought it would. The 6x9's help retain the low end many lose when they go to smaller door speakers. The kit even included foam for sealing the door panels.

If you are into DIY you can do a lot more but it requires fabrication. Here is my 4Runner audio build. I'm doing it as a very cheap build that punches way above its class in sound quality. It has surpassed my expectations already and I don't even have the tweeters or sub installed.
Budget Build in My 4Runner