Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Damage from shifting to 4lo while in D/P? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/284291-damage-shifting-4lo-while-d-p.html)

fubarovich 03-22-2020 11:25 PM

Damage from shifting to 4lo while in D/P?

Hi, had a senile moment earlier today while trying to shift the transfer case knob from 4H to 4L/N with the transmission in D/P instead of N on my 2019 ORP, the vehicle was stopped with foot on brake. There were some buzzing noises coming from the transfer case shifter and a deeper grinding noise coming from down below. I must have tried 3-5 times before realizing that the transmission shifter needs to be in Neutral. Can someone tell if how much if any damage was done? thank you :redbrick::redbrick::redbrick:

patkelly4370 03-22-2020 11:37 PM

I did the same when I first got mine (in November).
Everything seems to still function properly despite my best efforts to mess it up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jetboy 03-22-2020 11:50 PM

I'd guess none. The gears are pretty robust. If they're not synchronized or stopped they won't mesh. They'll just grind and not engage. Usually the ends of the teeth will be beveled a bit so they just sort of bounce off. You're not the first or the last to do that.

JLTD 03-22-2020 11:55 PM

Shouldn't be an issue… If you're worried, you can replace the transmission fluid.

BadTrainDriver 03-23-2020 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLTD (Post 3461726)
Shouldn't be an issue… If you're worried, you can replace the *transfer case fluid.

Fixed for ya!

jhguth 03-23-2020 08:41 AM

as long as you weren't pushing against the grinding trying to force it in it should be fine

JLTD 03-23-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver (Post 3461758)
Fixed for ya!

Shit. Thanks!

BobsTrail 03-23-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetboy (Post 3461724)
I'd guess none. The gears are pretty robust. If they're not synchronized or stopped they won't mesh. They'll just grind and not engage. Usually the ends of the teeth will be beveled a bit so they just sort of bounce off. You're not the first or the last to do that.

When I did that to mine, members told me I was just taking the sharp edges off of the gears and it will work better now. No problems years later

DAW89446 03-23-2020 10:40 PM

I’ve done that a few times myself. Even went as far as starting to drive off. The truck just drove off, no noise or conniptions, but I also caught sight right away the dash light blinking. So far no issues. I’m sure Toyota built in a few fail safes for exactly this occurance.

Blu42 03-25-2020 01:25 PM

Well when you're running a switch for the transfer case you're less likely to have an issue. I think what he's talking about is the manual lever transfer case. He basically attempted to yank the gears into place which just isn't possible with the electronic shifter. Driving is doable with the knob because nothing happens if the truck is not in the proper gears first. It throws a blinking light to let you know that you have goofed.