Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Lawn Mower noise from filler neck- WTH? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/284322-lawn-mower-noise-filler-neck-wth.html)

Sky 03-24-2020 10:53 AM

Lawn Mower noise from filler neck- WTH?

Went to fill up my 19 TRDORP, hopped out- left engine running and opened the filler neck to hear a sound like a lawn mower revving up and down.
WTH?
Then I found I could not put gas in at any more than a dribble that would take an hour to fill up.

Double WTH?

Turned the engine off and the noise stopped but I could still not put gas in at a normal rate. Tank was half full.

I have a short 85Kb mp4 file of it but site won't let me upload it.

Anyone ever run into this?

4RunnerRound 03-24-2020 10:55 AM

Anytime I leave the engine running while filling up, I get the same noise.
Never had trouble filling up.

adrtoy 03-24-2020 12:27 PM

It's normal. Likely has something to do with evaporative emissions.

jhguth 03-24-2020 12:37 PM

why are you filling with the engine running, dead battery or something?

Sky 03-24-2020 01:27 PM

Ok went to another station and could fill with the engine running and the noise from the filler pipe.
Apparently the first station I tried had a defective pump or nozzle-

LandCruiser 03-24-2020 01:52 PM

Same.

Doesn't seem to affect anything.

Ray Dunakin 03-27-2020 07:36 PM

You're supposed to shut the engine off before putting gas in the tank.

MossJenks 03-27-2020 10:12 PM

Like all fuel injected vehicles what fuel is not used gets continuously returned to the tank. Why TF are all of you guys filling with the engine running?!?

Sky 03-27-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MossJenks (Post 3463751)
Like all fuel injected vehicles what fuel is not used gets continuously returned to the tank. Why TF are all of you guys filling with the engine running?!?

I've owned 28 vehicles including 5 prior Toyotas and put over 100,000 mi each on 11 different company SUV's and have never had any of them make this noise.

obxbird 03-28-2020 10:49 AM

Here in VA, its in the Statewide Fire Prevention Code that you MUST shut off the engine before filling. Its a safety/common sense thing. 1oz of gas that gets vaporized is equivalent to 6 sticks of dynamite. :doh:

2016 4Runner SR5 03-28-2020 11:28 AM

Turn the engine off before filling up. Common sense is not common.

KSJ088 03-28-2020 11:31 AM

1st

Of my now 4th Toyotas I have owned 2 FJ's 1 Tacoma. Never had it on the previous models. I noticed this the 1st time I filled up. Surging pressure relief I believe when I removed the cap. As soon as I start to fill the noise stops. Yes I have for years left vehicle running while filling up. I know it's illegal BUT so is going over the speed limit. How many of you that posted about filling up W/Vehicle running do that on a daily basis's probably twice on commutes?? Glass houses :noidea: Not judging either.

TRDHULK 03-28-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 3462225)
Went to fill up my 19 TRDORP, hopped out- left engine running and opened the filler neck to hear a sound like a lawn mower revving up and down.
WTH?
Then I found I could not put gas in at any more than a dribble that would take an hour to fill up.

Double WTH?

Turned the engine off and the noise stopped but I could still not put gas in at a normal rate. Tank was half full.

I have a short 85Kb mp4 file of it but site won't let me upload it.

Anyone ever run into this?

I always fill up my tank with the engine on in all of my vehicles and never heard that noise until I got my 4Runner! Very odd; I have no idea why it makes that noise, but I am still able to fill up at a normal rate, luckily.

MossJenks 03-28-2020 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Salvo Jimmy 03-28-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MossJenks (Post 3463913)

And you can’t fix it per ole’ Ron White🙄😲