Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Who's running FJ80 9 Wraps? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/284340-whos-running-fj80-9-wraps.html)

ccurrans 03-24-2020 08:41 PM

Who's running FJ80 9 Wraps?

Currently running OME 891(?) Springs on Bilstein 5100's. Wanting to get a lil more aggressive on the trails though. My questions are if you are running 9 wraps up front, are you really getting 5" of lift? What is your front setup? What are you running in the rear to level out? I'm running FJ 17's with 285/70's and like idea of that tire size but want more lift. Anything else I'm overlooking? I know brake line extensions and LBJ's, but anything else?

Yes I know there are threads about lifts, but none that I have found talk about 9 wraps and the specifics with it as well as what was ran in the rear.
Thanks in advance

Bad Luck 03-25-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccurrans (Post 3462444)
Currently running OME 891(?) Springs on Bilstein 5100's. Wanting to get a lil more aggressive on the trails though. My questions are if you are running 9 wraps up front, are you really getting 5" of lift? What is your front setup? What are you running in the rear to level out? I'm running FJ 17's with 285/70's and like idea of that tire size but want more lift. Anything else I'm overlooking? I know brake line extensions and LBJ's, but anything else?

Yes I know there are threads about lifts, but none that I have found talk about 9 wraps and the specifics with it as well as what was ran in the rear.
Thanks in advance

After reading this it sounds to me like you aren't quite understanding the application of FJ80 springs. The front coil springs from an FJ80 are used in the rear of a 3rd gen 4Runner. As far as lift amount most folks are getting around 5 inches of rear lift with 9 wraps. This varies due to coil spring wear and rear vehicle weight.

ccurrans 03-25-2020 10:06 AM

Sorry about that, I was multitasking, but yes you are correct and I swapped the fronts and rears in my head when typing.

So let's swap it around and now ask the question of what is used to level the front for 5" of lift if the 9 wraps are used in the rear? Again, sorry about the mix up.

fourfive 03-25-2020 12:15 PM

Not a good idea to lift the front above 3" because of the severe angle and stress on the cv axles. Ride quality will be pretty bad too. 2-2.5" is usually the sweet spot (22-22.5" center hub to fender) for a front lift. Usually when people go for taller or heavier rear springs it's to compensate for the additional weight they carry which ends up bringing the back end back down closer to the 3.5" range.

ccurrans 03-25-2020 01:43 PM

I know about the angle of the car's with the 3" (give or take) loft and the diff drop, but the 5" had me curious. That's some serious weight to haul around. If not that, then I suppose SAS the front and potentially run those sam springs on all 4 corners? I've contemplated an SAS already, but that's a lot more work than I planned. Instead, I'm thinking I may leave as is, and sell and go the LC route instead for the things i want to do.

Bad Luck 03-26-2020 09:14 AM

I agree with fourfive's statement. The only other alternative to get that much front lift is to put a drop lift kit from a 1st gen tacoma on the front. I'm pretty sure the modifications to put one on are quite permanent so I wouldn't recommend it.

theesotericone 03-26-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccurrans (Post 3462666)
Instead, I'm thinking I may leave as is, and sell and go the LC route instead for the things i want to do.

What are the things you want to do? That's gonna help a lot with figuring out if the LC or 3rd gen is a better choice.

ccurrans 03-26-2020 10:08 PM

We wheel in the kentucky area quite a bit. There are some other harder trails I want to get on as well as some over landing and road trips out west to Moab are ideal. Along with this is the rust issue as well as lockers and other add on's that I would be needing to accomplish these goals.