Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Suspension Purchase - Now or Wait? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/284354-suspension-purchase-now-wait.html)

dirtydurley 03-25-2020 10:58 AM

Suspension Purchase - Now or Wait?

Wondering If there will be any sales coming up or if I should just wait until Black Friday/later in the year to find a deal?

Have been researching and browsing various kits and have been interested in Radflo, King or Icon. I was a little hesitant with Icon after seeing some recent reviews of issues and bad customer service. Also, I guess I could go a more cost saving route and go for a 6112/5100 Bilstein setup. I know that I won’t do a spacer lift and I’d like adjustability up front.

I’ll be adding an SSO Bumper with High Clearance in July and will eventually add a winch so want something to support the weight. I have a roof rack and sliders adding a little more weight the vehicle and will go after a 285/70/17 tire in the near future.
17 TRD Pro. This is my DD and currently limited off-road use but that will change soon with different work situation :)
I am only looking for advice/help and not the typical replies I’ve seen searching the forum when it comes to suspension & Pros. Yes, I’ve used the search feature and have spent hours reading and watching various videos before making this post.
Thanks all and stay safe during the COVID-19 pandemic we’re all experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandCruiser 03-25-2020 11:05 AM

Install a suspension after you have put on anything that adds asymmetrical weight to the vehicle (i.e. bumper, skids and roof rack are more balanced but will still make it sag), otherwise you may have to change out springs or adjust height more than once.

TLDR: save the lift until AFTER all the weighty mods are done, not before.

KWSRStorm 03-25-2020 11:14 AM

Theres a group buy for the eibach kit. If your ot adding weight in the back (rear bumper/drawers) its a good kit for your add ons.

But all of that stuff can be runnon the stock suspension if the sso bumper is the hybrid.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mcat707 03-25-2020 11:25 AM

You have a TRD Pro? I know you said that you don’t want to go the spacer install route and want adjustability up front but for the cost savings, why not install the Cornfed spacers with your current TRD Pro suspension for the time being? Wait until the suspension blows out then upgrade to another set up. There have been plenty of members here who went with the Cornfed spacers and TRD Pro suspension who are completely happy with the setup, including myself.
Once my suspension goes out, I will definitely upgrade to something else.

sn_85 03-25-2020 11:29 AM

I say buy now. Black Friday is nearly 7-8 months away plus 6 weeks wait for most orders at that time. Next big sales might be Memorial Day? I have Icons now but if I were to do it again I'd go Kings, Fox or Elka. When my Icons are due for a rebuild I'm going to redo my suspension setup for sure. The Icons are really nice off-road and I've had them for about 40k miles without any major issues but on-road performance leaves a bit to be desired. Mainly I also just want to see what else is out there. Another one to consider is the Dobinsons MRR/A or IMS. If you're not doing anything too crazy or need that fine level of adjustment that is a good option because they use OEM level bushings and fittings. I would definitely go with an adjustable coilover especially since you're adding considerable weight upfront. It would be a PITA to have to take Bilstein 6112 everytime you wanted to adjust your setup. Buy now and enjoy.

BarrRunner 03-25-2020 11:29 AM

Get the 6112 for up front and go ahead and buy the 650# springs. That way when you install the bumper/winch there will be minimal sag. I have the 6112 and they are an awesome compromise 2.5

ryguytheman 03-25-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWSRStorm (Post 3462608)
Theres a group buy for the eibach kit. If your ot adding weight in the back (rear bumper/drawers) its a good kit for your add ons.

But all of that stuff can be runnon the stock suspension if the sso bumper is the hybrid.

I ran stock suspension for over a year with the SSO bumper (and winch). I had over an inch of droop on the front end due to the weight. Potholes and speed bumps were a nuisance, and I imagine that I was wearing out the components at an accelerated pace. Would not recommend.

Mine handles so much better with a system that can handle the load.

dirtydurley 03-25-2020 12:20 PM

Thank you all for the helpful comments and recommendations so far!! I figure it was easier to send one reply then one to each post , especially on my phone [emoji16]

KWSRStorm 03-25-2020 12:21 PM

I agree.

Sorry i meant it "can" be run in the sense that he can get everything, then put a suspension on. Not something id want long term on the stock suspension.

dirtydurley 03-25-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWSRStorm (Post 3462608)

Yes. It’s the Slimline Hybrid with the high clearance kit. I should have mentioned that on my original post.

dirtydurley 03-25-2020 12:25 PM

Suspension Purchase - Now or Wait?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn_85 (Post 3462610)
I say buy now. Black Friday is nearly 7-8 months away plus 6 weeks wait for most orders at that time. Next big sales might be Memorial Day? I have Icons now but if I were to do it again I'd go Kings, Fox or Elka. When my Icons are due for a rebuild I'm going to redo my suspension setup for sure. The Icons are really nice off-road and I've had them for about 40k miles without any major issues but on-road performance leaves a bit to be desired. Mainly I also just want to see what else is out there. Another one to consider is the Dobinsons MRR/A or IMS. If you're not doing anything too crazy or need that fine level of adjustment that is a good option because they use OEM level bushings and fittings. I would definitely go with an adjustable coilover especially since you're adding considerable weight upfront. It would be a PITA to have to take Bilstein 6112 everytime you wanted to adjust your setup. Buy now and enjoy.

I guess that is one concern i have. I’m guessing all the kits I’m looking at will eventually require a rebuild. Good to see you got 40k out of your Icon. Recent posts I saw mentioned some leaking issues and customer service was bad for the Icon. I was originally set to order Stage 2 or 2.5 bundle but then after hours of research I was more concerned. I’d rather spend a little extra/overkill and get something better that will last longe than having to buy mail tools times down the road.
I might hold off until Memorial Day and hope for a sale but I’d like to have my parts for my trip so we can knock out the installs at the same time.

sn_85 03-25-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydurley (Post 3462634)
I guess that is one concern i have. I’m guessing all the kits I’m looking at will eventually require a rebuild. Good to see you got 40k out of your Icon. Recent posts I saw mentioned some leaking issues and customer service was bad for the Icon. I was originally set to order Stage 2 or 2.5 bundle but then after hours of research I was more concerned. I’d rather spend a little extra/overkill and get something better that will last longe than having to buy mail tools times down the road.
I might hold off until Memorial Day and hope for a sale but I’d like to have my parts for my trip so we can knock out the installs at the same time.

It really depends on your use on how many miles it can go before a rebuild. If you're off-roading a ton and do a lot of desert or open roads you'll probably need to rebuild them every 25k. If you're like most people I think you can get 50-75k out of a shock before rebuild. I personally have not had any big issues with my Icons and never had needed them serviced so I can't report any problems with their customer service but yes I've heard a few horror stories. I think they ride a little rough around town too. Conversely you rarely hear complaints from customers with Kings or any issues with their customer service.

If you're not really doing anything too crazy I'd look into the Dobinsons MRA and IMS. They use OEM grade components and while they will need a rebuild Dobinsons is saying you can get about 100k out of them. So you should get tons of years and miles out of them before noticing any shock fade.

Sundy 03-25-2020 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just had these show up (Dobinsons IMS) and the fronts are fully height adjustable. I bought this setup for the exact same reason - going 2.5" right now but will be adding a winch, bumper, etc. and will be able to raise the spring perch and not purchase new parts - just a new alignment.

dirtydurley 03-25-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundy (Post 3462689)
I just had these show up (Dobinsons IMS) and the fronts are fully height adjustable. I bought this setup for the exact same reason - going 2.5" right now but will be adding a winch, bumper, etc. and will be able to raise the spring perch and not purchase new parts - just a new alignment.

I’ll have to check out the IMS and MRA kits! Looks really nice.

Sundy 03-25-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydurley (Post 3462693)
I’ll have to check out the IMS and MRA kits! Looks really nice.

I've very satisfied with them for the price point - hoping to get them on this weekend, or else next weekend and start a long term review of them. The quality is great and I like that they don't have a stubby shaft holding the bottom mount (I know likely not an issue ever, but why skimp).

I like to read other people's opinions on products before buying, found a little on these from guys in Australia (been on the market a few years) but that's about it.