Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Access to oil filter w/o removing OEM skid plates (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/284383-access-oil-filter-w-o-removing-oem-skid-plates.html)

obxbird 03-26-2020 11:05 AM

Access to oil filter w/o removing OEM skid plates

Has anyone thought of cutting an access door into the OEM skid plate to have easier access to the oil filter w/o having to remove the skid plates...kinda like what RCI and CBI did to their aftermarket ones? Since we have been advised to 'stay home" due to the Covid-19 crap, I was thinking about a weekend project to do on the 4Runner. Just seeing if anyone else has done this or has any thoughts about how to do this.

08TxRunner 03-26-2020 11:14 AM

I ran without skid plates on my 4th gen because it's a daily driver. But with the new location of the oil filter down low, I'm not going to do that. It would be cool to figure out a way to mod the plate and have a hinged door or something. Just because I'm lazy.

Jetboy 03-26-2020 11:15 AM

I haven't found a good source for a inexpensive replacement steel door to weld or otherwise attach. If you're not going rock crawling - I think a simple deck plate would probably work to cover the hole, but the plate isn't very flat. So it'll take some work to figure that part out. The TRD Pro skid would be a lot easier to add an access door to.

obxbird 03-26-2020 12:24 PM

I was thinking along the lines of something like this and mount directly underneath the oil filter housing:

Amazon.com: Aluminum Access Panel Door Sheet metal Modified Late Model Dirt 6 x 6 6" x 6": Automotive

I was thinking about removing the skid plate, using a wheel grinder to make the hole, then drill some holes in the skid plate and rivet the access panel into place. Thoughts? Maybe an 8" x 8" panel?

08TxRunner 03-26-2020 12:26 PM

^^^ That look exactly like what I would envision. Someone needs to do this. No me, because I'm lazy.

Honda pc 03-26-2020 12:28 PM

Do what older toyota truck mods did. Oil filter relocation kit to the wheel fender area.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

obxbird 03-26-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08TxRunner (Post 3463040)
^^^ That look exactly like what I would envision. Someone needs to do this. No me, because I'm lazy.

I'm seriously considering it. If/when I do, I'll have to do a write up with pics. Doesn't sound too difficult....

97BlackAckCL 03-26-2020 01:32 PM

Or you could support one of the companies that make skids that have the door built in :thumb:

mustangr2 03-26-2020 02:08 PM

Probably one of the next things I will do will replace the factory skid with something that’s gives easy access. Going to replace it mostly for that reason. I don’t do a ton of hardcore off roading but just allowing access without dropping the skid plate be worth it over the long haul. I am not sure why Toyota didn’t design it with access to begin with.

Jetboy 03-26-2020 02:11 PM

The aluminum door doesn't offer any backup support. So I wouldn't expect it to do much more than protect from random stones. I don't think it'll handle skid duties - if you land on a rock on that, it's not going to do much to stop it from coming through.

One possible solution is to cut a smaller hole inside the door, so the OEM skid plate is backing up against the door flap to help from collapsing if you do hit it. For most people who rely on it for mud and road debris protection it should probably work. For rock crawling - I don't think it has enough structure to provide any meaningful protection.

I think it's going to be pretty tricky to find a 8x8 spot that's flat to mount it.

medium.rare.pepe 03-26-2020 02:19 PM

Coming from a 2003 Xterra I'm used to having to drop the skid to replace the filter. I do wish they kept the oil filter in a more accessible location like the 4th gen

t6pilot 03-26-2020 02:24 PM

I have the factory skip plate from my 18 off road, free to any who wants to try modifying one
It can either be picked up here in Huntington Beach
Or chino airport
Will not ship

97BlackAckCL 03-26-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medium.rare.pepe (Post 3463091)
Coming from a 2003 Xterra I'm used to having to drop the skid to replace the filter. I do wish they kept the oil filter in a more accessible location like the 4th gen

Agreed, I owned 2 x 4th gens and LOVED the filter location

Twowetsocks 05-03-2020 11:31 PM

Im seriously thinking ill cut out a section. And some metal tabs on to the piece thats cut out then just use screws going through the skid plate and the tabs to hold it in place. The factory skid plates doesnt seem like itd hold up well on rock crawling any how.

Nuke 07-07-2021 08:22 PM

My 2nd gen, 3rd gen and 5th gen require skid plate removal for (easy) oil filter access but my 4th gen's oil filter was mounted high on the drivers side and super easily accessible. Why they went back to just above the skid plate is beyond me, other than to get lazy DIY folks back into the service department.