Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Steering Issues (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/284437-steering-issues.html)

Photogr 03-28-2020 01:33 PM

Steering Issues

I’m in a lifted (3” Toytech Boss) 2014 TEP with KDSS. Yesterday I went for a short errand and found the steering randomly difficult. Almost as if one or both of the front tires was very low, which they weren’t. It’s a bit hard to describe, but I’ll do my best. It’s almost like a front wheel drive vehicle when accelerating and the steering wants to pull straight and you have to overcome that force when turning. Then it gets easier once you get past that force. Only in this case, it’s not just when trying to break it from going straight, but seemingly random when turning. It will fluctuate in difficulty throughout a turn and even when going back to straight. I don’t believe it’s following any particular pattern, meaning it’s seemingly random, though maybe not. For those who recall the days before power steering, it’s kind of like that only intermittent. I hear no unusual noise such as being low on power steering fluid and everything under the hood appears normal. No fluids of any king on the garage floor either. Anyone every run into anything like this before? Thoughts on what it might be?

08TxRunner 03-28-2020 03:20 PM

Do the 5th gens have the same issues with the steering shaft u-joint that the 4th gens and Tacomas have? That might be something worth looking at.

rdruss 03-28-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08TxRunner (Post 3463998)
Do the 5th gens have the same issues with the steering shaft u-joint that the 4th gens and Tacomas have? That might be something worth looking at.

My thoughts too.

LandCruiser 03-28-2020 04:28 PM

What color is your PS fluid?

Mine was acting a bit wonky and I replaced it at 60k and it got better.

Colorado is really bad on fluids.

Photogr 03-28-2020 05:46 PM

I had a power steering flush a few months ago, so I doubt that's it but I'll check the fluid color this afternoon or tomorrow. That just lead me to a thought though: are there zerk fittings anywhere on the steering shaft which could contribute to this type of problem?

flyrv9 03-28-2020 06:44 PM

Look for foam on your PS fluid reservoir. Also could you have a brake dragging?

Greydog 03-28-2020 08:16 PM

Sounds like the intermediate steering shaft is corroded and seizing up. Spray some penetrating lube in there are worth the steering wheel lock to lock. Then spray or lube with grease.

Jeremy556 03-28-2020 10:43 PM

Mine was doing that a few months ago at 255k miles. P/S fluid looked fine, no bubbles, and I had been replacing it every 100k miles, no P/S pump noises. In my case, a new P/S pump fixed it.

TOYO74 03-29-2020 10:33 AM

Is your shift selector in 4WD ?

Photogr 03-29-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyrv9 (Post 3464079)
Look for foam on your PS fluid reservoir. Also could you have a brake dragging?

I will, thanks. Unlikely the brakes, but anything's possible...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greydog (Post 3464120)
Sounds like the intermediate steering shaft is corroded and seizing up. Spray some penetrating lube in there are worth the steering wheel lock to lock. Then spray or lube with grease.

That's a bit beyond my mechanical capacity, unless someone can help with photo's.....I'll google intermediate steering shaft and see what I can find too, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy556 (Post 3464204)
Mine was doing that a few months ago at 255k miles. P/S fluid looked fine, no bubbles, and I had been replacing it every 100k miles, no P/S pump noises. In my case, a new P/S pump fixed it.

I'm not familiar with a P/S pump going without making all kinds of a whining/grinding noises when turning, but based on your experience this seems the likeliest scenario so far. Do you recall what you paid to replace it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOYO74 (Post 3464317)
Is your shift selector in 4WD ?

No, 2WD for some time. With the snow of a couple weeks ago I was in 4WD and didn't experience any of these symptoms like they are today. So, I'm guessing this is not related to the problem for now. Thanks.

Jeremy556 03-29-2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photogr (Post 3464433)
I'm not familiar with a P/S pump going without making all kinds of a whining/grinding noises when turning, but based on your experience this seems the likeliest scenario so far. Do you recall what you paid to replace it?

I wasn't either, I actually thought it was my steering rack bushings and was planning to replace the rack, but figured the P/S pump was a whole lot easier and cheaper, so gave it a shot, and it worked. $283.20 from Olathe Toyota

Photogr 03-31-2020 08:17 PM

According to the mechanic, it's the lower steering shaft. Part ordered and will be replaced on Thursday. Close to double your pump unfortunately.

8024thGen 07-23-2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photogr (Post 3465642)
According to the mechanic, it's the lower steering shaft. Part ordered and will be replaced on Thursday. Close to double your pump unfortunately.

I had the same issue and was just told $900 for a new intermediate shaft. I bought my 2015 5 months ago and have found nothing but rust issues. Thanks West Virginia