Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   What's your preferred general use black spray paint (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/284671-whats-your-preferred-general-use-black-spray-paint.html)

fourfive 04-04-2020 03:08 PM

What's your preferred general use black spray paint

Having something professionally painted, powder coated or rattle canned all have their place.

As far as spray paints, even though I use primer the majority of the time, I like spray paints that don't require it which is why I've been using vht roll bar & chassis gloss black for anything that needs to get painted black. I don't necessarily think it's any better than the other stuff but it makes it easier having the same color of black on hand & an extra bonus that it still works well without primer. It happened to be one of the first black spray paints I used for car parts so kinda got locked into it early on. I initially started with lower gloss/flatter black paints but noticed that most rattle can paints fade relatively quickly. So starting with a full gloss spray paint, allows it to fade to a more semi gloss/flatter finish.

T4R2014 04-04-2020 03:32 PM

Rustoleum is what I keep around. Krylon dries faster.

shadow247 04-04-2020 03:44 PM

Mostly Rustoleum Flat Black BBQ paint. It resists heat well and holds up as well as the regular spray paint.

For Frame touch ups, I use Rustoleum Flat Black Epoxy spray paint. It dries to a nice matter finish that looks pretty much factory.

T4R2014 04-04-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow247 (Post 3467614)
Mostly Rustoleum Flat Black BBQ paint. It resists heat well and holds up as well as the regular spray paint.

Actually that might be the most bulletproof spray paint I've ever used. 4 years on my break calipers and the salt hasn't damaged the finish. That says a lot. It is SUPER flat though. Not for appearance.

jross20 04-04-2020 04:01 PM

I've been using summit racing semi glass chassis paint for a while now. So far it seems to be holding up, time will tell.

LittleCaesar 04-05-2020 08:14 AM

X3 on the Rustoleum BBQ paint if outward appearance is not important. Paints up well on bare surfaces (I have used it on diff cover replacements on other makes) and dries quickly in direct Southern sunlight.

Otherwise, some shade of Duplicolor black suffices if appearance is key.

Ed_C 04-05-2020 11:04 AM

Yup, Rustoleum BBQ black is very flat. I recently painted some things with BBQ black and others with Rustoleum semi-gloss black "Painters Touch 2X" (Ace Hardware was having a twofer sale at the time) and the BBQ looks ashy LOL

When I bought the BBQ black at Home Depot they also had Rustoleum high-temp engine paint in flat black, it was like $2 more and had a lower temperature rating than the BBQ....not thanks :biggrin1:

aontkos 04-05-2020 12:28 PM

POR-15 Top Coat in a spray can is the best Iíve found. Itís expensive but it actually hardens into a shell. Itís all Iíll be buying from now on.