Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Buy used motor with short block replaced? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/284748-buy-used-motor-short-block-replaced.html)

raty4R 04-06-2020 04:39 PM

Buy used motor with short block replaced?

I'm looking to buy a used low mileage motor.
I looked at a possible truck's history and the short block was replaced at a Toyota dealer. The car only had about 40,000 miles on it at that time. It has 140,000 now. all the other dealer service was oil changes and alignments.
Would you buy it? I can't go see it.

UnderFire 04-06-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raty4R (Post 3468585)
I'm looking to buy a used low mileage motor.

I looked at a possible truck's history and the short block was replaced at a Toyota dealer. The car only had about 40,000 miles on it at that time. It has 140,000 now. all the other dealer service was oil changes and alignments.

Would you buy it? I can't go see it.

I'd be concerned with maintenance history since I'd assume you're paying a premium for the low mileage. It's hard to tell why the motor was replaced at 40,000. I'd put my money on lack of maintenance over a manufacturer defect if it lasted that long.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk

raty4R 04-06-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderFire (Post 3468651)
I'd be concerned with maintenance history since I'd assume you're paying a premium for the low mileage. It's hard to tell why the motor was replaced at 40,000. I'd put my money on lack of maintenance over a manufacturer defect if it lasted that long.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk

The records show oil change/ inspections each year. Only about 5,000 mi between each oil change every year, all at a Toyota dealer. Just the short block was changed.

gamefreakgc 04-07-2020 12:31 AM

The short block is the bottom end of the engine. We are talking pistons, oil pump, connecting rods, cylinders. Those don't just "go bad" at 40K miles, that's what you call a lemon. They only replaced it with a short block to save costs and reused the cylinder heads from the blown engine.

Up to you. A compression check would go a long way in deciding if this engine replacement did any good. Without that you are buying it blind, and they should be willing to do the compression check with you there (don't trust photos or emailed numbers).

raty4R 04-07-2020 11:28 AM

Thanks gamefreakgc, That's what i was thinking. Just wanted to see if anyone agreed and I wasn't being paranoid. Prob the last one built on Friday or first one on Monday morning.