Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Plenty of 96-98 wood grain bezels but no 99-up? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/285107-plenty-96-98-wood-grain-bezels-but-no-99-up.html)

TheSaturnV 04-17-2020 10:56 AM

Plenty of 96-98 wood grain bezels but no 99-up?

Dead horse question maybe, but I haven't read a good explanation for this yet. I can find the 96-98 wood radio bezels all day long with the clock on the left and the cup holders.

Why so few 99 - up versions? Did they make this part worse and they're all broken now?

I assume with the vent configuration, we won't be able to backdate to these. I'm patching mine one more time to reinstall but I'm searching for a replacement now.

fixxor 04-17-2020 11:43 AM

Had a hell of a time finding mine on ebay. Tried the junkyard but as soon as a car comes in there people just tear the hell out of it and break apart everything they dont need I guess. I had to wait quite a bit.

infamousRNR 04-17-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSaturnV (Post 3474242)
Dead horse question maybe, but I haven't read a good explanation for this yet. I can find the 96-98 wood radio bezels all day long with the clock on the left and the cup holders.

Why so few 99 - up versions? Did they make this part worse and they're all broken now?

I assume with the vent configuration, we won't be able to backdate to these. I'm patching mine one more time to reinstall but I'm searching for a replacement now.

do you want a black one or wood grain one?

I have a couple extras I will post for sale soon.

- Sean

aontkos 04-17-2020 01:40 PM

This is a dead horse that was recently revived and put on life support.

From what I've gathered, the 1999+ wood grain bezels are very brittle. I have first hand experience of this. My original bezel cracked every time I removed it no matter how gentle I was. I ordered a spare when they were more common and this one cracked just from sitting in storage. I think that the difficulty of locating one is an artifact of this. Why spend the money on another wood grain one if you'll be patching it or replacing it again?

The older versions must have used a different plastic that has proven to be more durable. The 99+ black bezels seem to use a different plastic than the wood grain ones and are definitely more durable.

I recently switched to a black bezel with a wood grain dominant interior and I am pleasantly impressed with how the black looks. It doesn't feel out of place and I tend to be pretty picky with my truck these days.

infamousRNR 04-17-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aontkos (Post 3474334)
This is a dead horse that was recently revived and put on life support.

From what I've gathered, the 1999+ wood grain bezels are very brittle. I have first hand experience of this. My original bezel cracked every time I removed it no matter how gentle I was. I ordered a spare when they were more common and this one cracked just from sitting in storage. I think that the difficulty of locating one is an artifact of this. Why spend the money on another wood grain one if you'll be patching it or replacing it again?

The older versions must have used a different plastic that has proven to be more durable. The 99+ black bezels seem to use a different plastic than the wood grain ones and are definitely more durable.

I recently switched to a black bezel with a wood grain dominant interior and I am pleasantly impressed with how the black looks. It doesn't feel out of place and I tend to be pretty picky with my truck these days.

I've never broken a wood grain bezel & all 3 of my 4runners have them... with that said I've removed them all multiple times & even pulled multiple wood grain pieces from trucks at the local salvage yard without braking them,....

I agree they are more brittle, but only if you man-handle it with brute strength...

with that said.... check out this cool 3-DIN stereo bezel surround from a Hilux-Surf :surfer:

TOYOTA HILUX SURF 4RUNNER RADIO CLIMATE DASH BEZEL SURROUND BLACK 99-02 | eBay

LittleCaesar 04-17-2020 01:56 PM

Brittle is an understatement. Like the shifter bushings they don’t like heat and humidity. I finally broke down in 2018 and ordered a new one, thinking if people are charging 65 to 80% for used bezels relative to the price of a new one, my return on investment is better off with the new one.

Due to all the Gorilla glue used on the old one I still have the new one in the box.

infamousRNR 04-17-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleCaesar (Post 3474347)
Brittle is an understatement. Like the shifter bushings they don’t like heat and humidity. I finally broke down in 2018 and ordered a new one, thinking if people are charging 65 to 80% for used bezels relative to the price of a new one, my return on investment is better off with the new one.

Due to all the Gorilla glue used on the old one I still have the new one in the box.

Did you order a black one or a wood grain one?
have the part number handy?

Riceye 04-17-2020 04:04 PM

Check this out. Five speed 4Runner for sale here.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/membe...57725-wood.jpg

jgue467 04-17-2020 04:23 PM

Carid

check out Carid.com

Lots of types of dash kits and many other things.

4Runner Dash kits

TheSaturnV 04-17-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamousRNR (Post 3474329)
do you want a black one or wood grain one?

I have a couple extras I will post for sale soon.

- Sean

Yeah, I'd like to buy a wood grain one if you have it. Let me know, thanks.

brillo_76 04-17-2020 07:14 PM

Those glue on wood grains are nasty. I prefer the actual wood grain plastic. I have one with the glue on wood grain and it me that looks horrible. Lots of folks prefer the black too. So its really personal preference. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

3RDGENGuy 04-17-2020 09:37 PM

I was trying to find a 99 and up one and couldn’t believe the prices I was seeing. Mine was cut out for a cb radio. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleCaesar 04-17-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamousRNR (Post 3474358)
Did you order a black one or a wood grain one?
have the part number handy?

I don’t have it right on hand Sean but will post up when I do.

It is the wood grain for Limiteds....

TheSaturnV 04-17-2020 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamousRNR (Post 3474346)
I've never broken a wood grain bezel & all 3 of my 4runners have them... with that said I've removed them all multiple times & even pulled multiple wood grain pieces from trucks at the local salvage yard without braking them,....

I agree they are more brittle, but only if you man-handle it with brute strength...

Maybe it's a climate thing. I've been very gentle with mine, and have tried to reduce the number of times I pull it out. Clip connection points keep crumbling off and this last time it hairline cracked up near the top curve, no matter how carefully I pulled on it.

:cool:

UnderFire 04-18-2020 01:30 AM

A lot of them I've seen are cracked up high around the vents. You absolutely do not need to pry or pull on the weak upper section at all to remove the center. It should be removed by pulling mainly from the bottom section of the piece near the ashtray where it's stiffer and stronger. I've never broken one, have removed at least 20 in 4runners of all different conditions.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk