Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Trail Edition worth it? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/285477-trail-edition-worth.html)

Realkhill 04-27-2020 04:35 PM

Trail Edition worth it?

Weighing my options. I called the dealer today and he informed me the 2020 there is no trail edition. I’m guessing the TRD pro replaced that?? Was thinking about getting any older 5th gen Trail Edition. Thoughts on pros and cons of the Trail Edition model? Thanks! Kevin

LandCruiser 04-27-2020 04:38 PM

TRD Off Road is literally the same thing as the TE.

Toyota changed the nomenclature because TRD makes everything more awesome and capable with the simple addition of an emblem.

Your mingy dealer is too stupid to know that.

Jetboy 04-27-2020 04:49 PM

One additional twist:

Trail edition from 2010-2017(?) is the same as the current TRD Off Road: rear locker, crawl control, MTS, and KDSS as an option. The OG Trail editions have no badges.

2021 "Trail Edition" means SR5 with appearance package. So no offroad goodies. But it does have a color matched cooler as an option. Toyota marketing is lazy AF to recycle the same trim name on two different trims in the same production run.

d8168055 04-27-2020 04:51 PM

Are you asking about the Trail Special Edition? that is a new line, basically a SR5 with painted TRD OR wheels, a Yakima basket and a cooler. I dont think it is worth the markup because you can do those addition yourself.

LandCruiser 04-27-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetboy (Post 3479794)
One additional twist:

2021 "Trail Edition" means SR5 with appearance package. So no offroad goodies. But it does have a color matched cooler as an option. Toyota marketing is lazy AF to recycle the same trim name on two different trims in the same production run.

OMG that's so sad what they did to the TE.

It's like they're not even trying anymore.

d8168055 04-27-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandCruiser (Post 3479796)

The TE that became the TRD OR has the KDSS option, rear lockers, and Crawl Control do-hicky, the new Trail Special Edition will not, since it is based off of the SR5

Bumbo 04-27-2020 05:11 PM

Reading the above... I would spend less time worrying about how Toyota labels the truck, and more time looking at the actual build sheet to make sure it actually comes with what you want/need.

Jetboy 04-27-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandCruiser (Post 3479796)

"Okay guys - what are we gonna call this new model??
"What makes it unique?"
"We didn't paint the door handles or the rear door wind deflector. And we had extra paint so we used it for a cooler that matches the other parts we did paint."
"That's all?"
"Oh yeah, we found some leftover roof racks from the FJ Cruiser. We stuck one of those on it and some wheels from the TRD OR - but we painted them black. - wait, never mind the rack we are using those on the Pro - we found a wire basket for the roof rack in the dumpster. Let's go with that. We think it'll be worth $3,000 extra."
"Okay - how about the 'Adventure' trim?"
"No - the Rav4 has an Adventure model that has a suspension upgrade, we don't want to confuse anyone."
"How about the 'Highlander' trim?"
"We did that a few years ago - we already couldn't come up with a new name for our other midsize SUV so we called it that"
"Shit - Gina in the printing shop said we have a bunch of "Trail Edition" swag leftover."
"WTF - we literally just stopped using that name and called it the Off Road model... like last year or something.Cant' we just call it 'heritage' like we did with the LC200?"
"Yeah, but year me out; Trail was also a model of the FJ Cruiser called the Trail Team Ultimate Edition and we carried that forward to the 4Runner because we had this same conversation and didn't want to use a new name. And also we don't care. And people are stupid. And we're tired of marketing the same car for it's 29th production year. We tried over the past 10 minutes and didn't have a better idea. So let's just go with 'trail' and call it a day."
"Fair point - 'Trail' it is."

Realkhill 04-27-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d8168055 (Post 3479795)
Are you asking about the Trail Special Edition? that is a new line, basically a SR5 with painted TRD OR wheels, a Yakima basket and a cooler. I dont think it is worth the markup because you can do those addition yourself.

Really was wanting to know the difference. I’ve got my answers now.

Paragon1 04-27-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realkhill (Post 3479818)

The proper "trail edition" will have the crawl control (not necessarily KDSS) and you'll see the selector dials up top by the map light controls. That's the one you want.

BlueEyedDevil 04-28-2020 02:19 PM

Thoughts on an older Trail Ecition.

I’m on 4R number 3.

A 2008 Sport 4x4
A 2013 Trail
A 2020 TRD Pro

My Trail was bad ass. Loved it and still like the look of it better than my new one. Granted, the new Pro has all sorts of relatively minor upgrades. Most notably the interior. In the 7 years I owned it, didn’t have one thing go wrong with it. Basic vehicle servicing.

The 4x4 worked great and the KDSS seems better on cornering than the Fox setup in the TRD Pro. Minor but noticeable to me.

The new Pro smells great, love the JBL stereo, leather, moon roof, all the bells and whistles and I really love it. That said if someone told me I’d be “stuck” with my 2013 Trail for another 7 years, I’d have been fine with that too.

Jivewalker 04-28-2020 02:23 PM

Hell yeah, older TE's are the best!

BobsTrail 04-28-2020 07:22 PM

I was hung up on getting the rear locker when I ordered my 2013 Trail. I rarely use the locker, but get a lot of use/help from the Multi-Terrain in 4H in sand and snow and in 4L for sand or very loose trails.

Wolfman’s Brother 04-28-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realkhill (Post 3479818)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsTrail (Post 3480594)
I was hung up on getting the rear locker when I ordered my 2013 Trail. I rarely use the locker, but get a lot of use/help from the Multi-Terrain in 4H in sand and snow and in 4L for sand or very loose trails.

Same, except I absolutely love having it as I’m in the south east and traction in the red clay mud (grease) is non-existent MTs be damned.

ATRAC/MTS gets it done, but I’d actually love a front locker if I could afford it.

STX4Runner 04-29-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetboy (Post 3479806)
"Okay guys - what are we gonna call this new model??
"What makes it unique?"
"We didn't paint the door handles or the rear door wind deflector. And we had extra paint so we used it for a cooler that matches the other parts we did paint."
"That's all?"
"Oh yeah, we found some leftover roof racks from the FJ Cruiser. We stuck one of those on it and some wheels from the TRD OR - but we painted them black. - wait, never mind the rack we are using those on the Pro - we found a wire basket for the roof rack in the dumpster. Let's go with that. We think it'll be worth $3,000 extra."
"Okay - how about the 'Adventure' trim?"
"No - the Rav4 has an Adventure model that has a suspension upgrade, we don't want to confuse anyone."
"How about the 'Highlander' trim?"
"We did that a few years ago - we already couldn't come up with a new name for our other midsize SUV so we called it that"
"Shit - Gina in the printing shop said we have a bunch of "Trail Edition" swag leftover."
"WTF - we literally just stopped using that name and called it the Off Road model... like last year or something.Cant' we just call it 'heritage' like we did with the LC200?"
"Yeah, but year me out; Trail was also a model of the FJ Cruiser called the Trail Team Ultimate Edition and we carried that forward to the 4Runner because we had this same conversation and didn't want to use a new name. And also we don't care. And people are stupid. And we're tired of marketing the same car for it's 29th production year. We tried over the past 10 minutes and didn't have a better idea. So let's just go with 'trail' and call it a day."
"Fair point - 'Trail' it is."

I love Toyota, but It's absolutely pathetic they stuck a $300 Yakima wire basket on it's roof.