Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   4Runner just won't allow remote entry (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/285781-4runner-just-wont-allow-remote-entry.html)

Russkcpa 05-05-2020 06:53 PM

4Runner just won't allow remote entry

Hi all,
So I have two 3rd Gen 4Runners
Both are 2000's One a Limited Edition I've had since new and one a newly acquired 5 speed. The 5 speed is giving me fits. It has a factory remote entry (3 button) that I just can't get to work with this new 4Runner. It WILL work with my old (Limited) 4Runner. So obviously not an issue with the Fob.
I've tried to research but striking out.
Both cars have the factory security system (not sure if that even matters)
The only difference with the 5 speed is that it has automatic locking system that kicks in when you start the vehicle (not sure if that matters either)
Is this perhaps an electrical issue ?? Hoping there is a do it yourself fix
Thanks for any help
Russ

phattyduck 05-06-2020 12:28 PM

Check for an alarm system installed by the previous owner that may have taken over remote lock/unlock duties...

*All* '99+ 4Runners have an OEM wireless remote system (though not always an alarm or immobilizer).

-Charlie

Russkcpa 05-06-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3484660)
Check for an alarm system installed by the previous owner that may have taken over remote lock/unlock duties...

*All* '99+ 4Runners have an OEM wireless remote system (though not always an alarm or immobilizer).

-Charlie

Thanks Charlie
I only see evidence of the Toyota VIP (Vehicle Intrusion Protection) and no other alarm system. Just weird.

HiLife 05-07-2020 01:06 AM

Are you able to unlock all the doors while using your key in the drivers door and turning the key twice to unlock? Turning the key once to unlock just the drivers door. Twice to unlock all the doors.
Mines didn't do that cause of a cracked clip on the end of the mechanical cylinder door lock. I replaced that wire and was able to enter programming, and register my fob. I couldn't enter programming before that.

Russkcpa 05-07-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiLife (Post 3485053)
Are you able to unlock all the doors while using your key in the drivers door and turning the key twice to unlock? Turning the key once to unlock just the drivers door. Twice to unlock all the doors.
Mines didn't do that cause of a cracked clip on the end of the mechanical cylinder door lock. I replaced that wire and was able to enter programming, and register my fob. I couldn't enter programming before that.

Yes. That functions perfectly. I hate to take it to the dealer...........

Fore_Play4R 09-07-2020 11:39 PM

I can’t get my fobs to program either. Can my aftermarket stereo be a problem? It came with a pioneer deck.