Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Did I buy Fake Spark Plugs? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/285824-did-i-buy-fake-spark-plugs.html)

Gull81 05-07-2020 12:28 AM

Did I buy Fake Spark Plugs?

Link to the ones I purchased - just now seeing all the signs pointing to them being fake - such as photoshopping the denso logo etc. etc. Security Measure

The item I bought: I thought they were DENSO plugs, came in the little red and white lexus/ toyota box. I have been having a misfire issue since then, and I have begun to second guess them.

I'm going to go ahead and pull one right now and check em.

Gull81 05-07-2020 01:05 AM

https://i.imgur.com/SsbaK0Y.jpg

Pardon it being upside down - but you can see the difference in the checkering with the old and new plug, and the font of K16TR11. I think these are fake.

If someone could confirm that would be nice, but it seems likely that this is a "learn from my mistakes" type thread.

eddielasvegas 05-07-2020 01:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No clue on your plugs, but a correctly oriented pic might make it easier to tell.

Also, there is tons of info on this subject on the Interwebz. I recently had to tell with this for some NGK plugs.

Eddie

HiLife 05-07-2020 01:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I bought these from NAPA. These are that only ones I can take a pic at this time. Where you get these plugs also helps determining if it's fake or not.
Could be fakes it's coming from eBay, Amazon, etc.
Hope this helps.

Gull81 05-07-2020 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiLife (Post 3485061)
I bought these from NAPA. These are that only ones I can take a pic at this time. Where you get these plugs also helps determining if it's fake or not.
Could be fakes it's coming from eBay, Amazon, etc.
Hope this helps.

Yea, those look more like the old ones than the new ones. I may throw the old plugs back into the car and see if it fixes the problem. I didn't have issues prior, I just changed them out for preventative maintenance.

gamefreakgc 05-07-2020 03:00 AM

Yeah parts stores don't sell fakes. Cheap aftermarket parts yes, fakes no.

If you are looking for a contact-less option, Rockauto.com is a site sponsor on here and they sell a ton of good parts for our 4Runners, including OEM replacements. I'd go with them if you are looking to re-order.

jgue467 05-07-2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gull81 (Post 3485067)
..didn't have issues prior, I just changed them out for preventative maintenance.

Not one single Good Deed goes unpunished!

19963.4lsr5 05-07-2020 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gull81 (Post 3485052)
https://i.imgur.com/SsbaK0Y.jpg

Pardon it being upside down - but you can see the difference in the checkering with the old and new plug, and the font of K16TR11. I think these are fake.

If someone could confirm that would be nice, but it seems likely that this is a "learn from my mistakes" type thread.

It also looks like the label is crooked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleCaesar 05-07-2020 07:25 AM

My lesson learned, as I have been burned as well via Amazon, is to hit the parts store. My old local Napa though even received some fake plugs so open them up in the store for comparison FWIW.

Kanoe 05-07-2020 09:12 AM

One thing to keep in mind. Toyota oem densos used to be made in Japan. Now they are Indonesia or some nearby country. This is getting them from the dealer. The switch happened about a year ago. This may make them look a bit different.

DaveSki 05-07-2020 09:26 AM

Tons of fakes out there... I don’t know why anyone would risk ordering from EBay or Amazon. If the price is too good to be true it probably is lol. Just order from your local Advance or Orielly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gull81 05-07-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanoe (Post 3485117)
One thing to keep in mind. Toyota oem densos used to be made in Japan. Now they are Indonesia or some nearby country. This is getting them from the dealer. The switch happened about a year ago. This may make them look a bit different.

]

Do they say made in Japan on them still?

I switched the old plugs back in and boom, no more misfire.

I can't imagine it being anything else, but I think the ones I got are just straight counterfeit. I didn't think I would get burned on these - how much can you make on a counterfeit $5 spark plug: the fancy iridium ones sure, but these?

Looks like I was wrong.

HiLife 05-07-2020 02:49 PM

Not much per plug for us consumers.
Sell a couple of million counterfeit spark plugs and the counterfeiter is buying a new 2020 4runner cash every 2 months.

Kanoe 05-07-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gull81 (Post 3485278)
]

Do they say made in Japan on them still?

I switched the old plugs back in and boom, no more misfire.

I can't imagine it being anything else, but I think the ones I got are just straight counterfeit. I didn't think I would get burned on these - how much can you make on a counterfeit $5 spark plug: the fancy iridium ones sure, but these?

Looks like I was wrong.

No. The ones at the dealer now say made in Indonesia.

Gull81 05-07-2020 03:28 PM

Thanks - these say "made in Japan" on them. I'll probably go to the dealer and get new plugs and compare. Maybe the tooling has been changing and I just got a defective one, but I think they are probably just fake.