Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Calling all True North Fabrication plate bumper and winch owners. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/285872-calling-all-true-north-fabrication-plate-bumper-winch-owners.html)

brianjasinski2003 05-08-2020 10:17 AM

Calling all True North Fabrication plate bumper and winch owners.

Hi all,

Can you tell me what winch you have and if you have any problem accessing the free spool with your winch install. I have heard a few reports that some are not able to access free spool. My plate bumper is coming soon and I would like to know which winch you have installed. I am hoping to put a SmittyBilt X20 10,000lb with wireless remote in there. Thanks for any helps

JohnOfTheJungle 05-21-2020 11:49 PM

I have the very first version of their bumper and I have a Warn m8000 installed, which is the one they recommended.

I’m able to access the free spool fine, but overall I wouldn’t say it’s the most accessible design for a winch bumper. It’s kind of a pain really, getting the wires hooked up was tricky.

Can’t comment on the winch you’re looking at but the m8000 is pretty compact, which is probably why they recommended it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MN4runnerman 05-22-2020 10:44 PM

I found a nice lightly used m8000 so I have that and the first design bumper that TNF made. It’s kinda a tight fit to get my hand on there. Not awful I make sure I wear a glove so I don’t scratch up my hand. Since it’s modeled after the m8000 take the measurements from Warn’s website and compare it to model’s you’re looking at and see what’s close

3bears 05-23-2020 01:25 PM

well, prob not much help. I just got that smittybuilt (X20, 10k synthetic) but have not mounted it yet as my plans have changed a bit on bumper.
However. if you have not gotten the smittybilt I read through and it is clockable for the motor and the gear case too. Gear case was my main concern so I could rotate and make handle accessible depending on what bumper I get.

Nameless Now 09-18-2021 07:09 PM

For anyone else that is looking at putting a winch on their SRQ bumper hopefulky you find this useful. I have a SRQ/True North Fab open wing hybrid bumper. The internal height is about 8.1 inches. I did alot of research looking for all options that would fit the bumper, Come up, superwinch, smittybilt and a few others. the control box has to be relocated so the constraint on all these winches is the clutch lever. The only winches that I found to fit were from Warn, those being the M8000 and VR EVO 8/10/12. The zeon might fit but I am not 100% sure on that. I bought a VR EVO 10s Gen 3 and it will fit great. The clutch lever has room to rotate even though it will be an awkward reach through the front.https://flic.kr/p/2ms7qJg

Devbot 09-18-2021 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nameless Now (Post 3673814)
For anyone else that is looking at putting a winch on their SRQ bumper hopefulky you find this useful. I have a SRQ/True North Fab open wing hybrid bumper. The internal height is about 8.1 inches. I did alot of research looking for all options that would fit the bumper, Come up, superwinch, smittybilt and a few others. the control box has to be relocated so the constraint on all these winches is the clutch lever. The only winches that I found to fit were from Warn, those being the M8000 and VR EVO 8/10/12. The zeon might fit but I am not 100% sure on that. I bought a VR EVO 10s Gen 3 and it will fit great. The clutch lever has room to rotate even though it will be an awkward reach through the front.https://flic.kr/p/2ms7qJg

I too have the open wing hybrid and I'm using a Smittybilt XRC Gen 3 which BARELY fits, but fit it does. I had to clock the engagement lever backwards one "position" but if one was to perhaps use a much smaller lever as opposed to the super bulky one that it comes with I imagine you could get away with keeping it clocked as it comes. Having it backwards isn't bad whatsoever, and I can actually see how it might be easier to reach this way
That being said, I believe the 3rd gen XRC is one of the smallest winches SB makes and it fits with practically ZERO room to spare in any direction; at most I'm talking a centimeter or two on all sides. In my research I read a couple posts+talked to an individual that all claimed to use an X20 (which is slightly larger than my XRC) and they assured it would fit, but I just don't see how that is

Nameless Now 09-26-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3673845)
I too have the open wing hybrid and I'm using a Smittybilt XRC Gen 3 which BARELY fits, but fit it does. I had to clock the engagement lever backwards one "position" but if one was to perhaps use a much smaller lever as opposed to the super bulky one that it comes with I imagine you could get away with keeping it clocked as it comes. Having it backwards isn't bad whatsoever, and I can actually see how it might be easier to reach this way
That being said, I believe the 3rd gen XRC is one of the smallest winches SB makes and it fits with practically ZERO room to spare in any direction; at most I'm talking a centimeter or two on all sides. In my research I read a couple posts+talked to an individual that all claimed to use an X20 (which is slightly larger than my XRC) and they assured it would fit, but I just don't see how that is

That is good thinking on clocking the clutch lever backwards. Also great to hear it might be easier to reach in a backwards position. I was looking at getting the Comeup 9.5 and clocking it forward but the lever was going to hit the inside of the bumper.