Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   What the F did I just break? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/285914-what-f-did-i-just-break.html)

infamousRNR 05-09-2020 12:39 PM

What the F did I just break?

3 Attachment(s)
Reaching up to grab my oil filter this morning, barely grazed something with the back of my hand...

I look up & see this sensor type thing broken!!

Ugh. So much for a quick oil change this morning...

So what is this sensor thing? I started the truck after and it ran fine with no CEL

LittleCaesar 05-09-2020 12:50 PM

Oil pressure sensor and its connector.I would think the default for the ECU to illuminate the oil lamp on the dash but guess not.

Maybe you and Tim can do a vid? Probably not necessary.

Hope you are enjoying the new tight shifter...

19963.4lsr5 05-09-2020 01:30 PM

Yep oil pressure sensor.

Pull the Alt and battery and it becomes easy to get too.

Now is your chance to buy the adapter and install an oil pressure gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alumarine 05-09-2020 04:57 PM

Maybe your oil light is burned out?

19963.4lsr5 05-09-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alumarine (Post 3486376)
Maybe your oil light is burned out?

The sensor provides the ground for the bulb. No connector means no light.

HiLife 05-09-2020 09:25 PM

No cel, and no low oil light.
Electrical lead to the oil pressure switch broke off.
Once you get the special socket to that area it's an easy fix.

Js'00imited4runner 05-09-2020 11:01 PM

If i'm not mistaken can't you get to it with a long 3/8 extension and a deepwell socket? I think its a 19mm? I don't remember having to use a special socket..Especially now with the wire being busted off It should be easier then ever to take it out since you won't have that still connected. Not a big deal just a oh s*it what just broke lol. The plastic gets pretty soft/brittle where the plug/wire is so it's no surprise that it happened.

HiLife 05-10-2020 10:50 AM

A regular socket would work. No special socket.

19963.4lsr5 05-10-2020 01:32 PM

I think a 7/8” deep socket works just fine. I used my O2 sensor socket and I’m pretty sure it’s a 7/8”

19963.4lsr5 05-10-2020 07:28 PM

Here is what it would look like adding a pressure gauge. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8db3c1f829.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e64f137189.jpg

infamousRNR 05-11-2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Js'00imited4runner (Post 3486516)
If i'm not mistaken can't you get to it with a long 3/8 extension and a deepwell socket? I think its a 19mm? I don't remember having to use a special socket..Especially now with the wire being busted off It should be easier then ever to take it out since you won't have that still connected. Not a big deal just a oh s*it what just broke lol. The plastic gets pretty soft/brittle where the plug/wire is so it's no surprise that it happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3486725)
I think a 7/8” deep socket works just fine. I used my O2 sensor socket and I’m pretty sure it’s a 7/8”

I went to the hardware store & a 27mm deep socket fits on the end to tighten,..

19963.4lsr5 05-11-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamousRNR (Post 3487177)
I went to the hardware store & a 27mm deep socket fits on the end to tighten,..

Maybe I used my oil pressure socket I bought for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. There is no way I used the O2 sensor socket if you needed a 27mm.

infamousRNR 05-11-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3486309)
Yep oil pressure sensor.

Pull the Alt and battery and it becomes easy to get too.

Now is your chance to buy the adapter and install an oil pressure gauge.

I def agree with this, but I wanted to avoid pulling as many things as much as possible...

how did YOU get onto the sides of this oil pressure sensor thing to unscrew it? it's never been removed I can imagine & it's pretty locked on there.. been giving it some penetrating oil over the last day or two & trying again.... I am attempting with some vice grips but I am just not getting the right bite with such little & I don't have a 27mm socket... plus it's tight in there, so a deep socket will pretty much require removing the alternator...

so much for an easy morning oil change... this oil change has transpired into a radiator replacement, trans cooler install, drive belt replacement, thermostat replacement (found an aftermarket 79° & my OEM one has the TEQ stamped on it with 82°) & skid plate painting & a ton of brake cleaner to clean up all the gunk that has accumulated from I am assuming sloppy oil changes & leaking valve covers....

:cry:

Kanoe 05-11-2020 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a homemade oil pressure sender tool. It’s just a $10 deep socket I trimmed to fit with an angle grinder.

I needed it for my corolla which hides the sender behind the exhaust manifold. Works just as well on the 3rz and May for you also.

Ratchet wouldn’t fit in so now I can use an open wrench on it.

19963.4lsr5 05-11-2020 08:43 PM

Removing the battery and Alt was the only way I felt I could get to it to put a wrench or socket on it.

Since the engine was new it came out easy. But I don’t remember having problems removing it (on the engine stand) from the 258,000 engine to get it rebuild.