Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   New Tires that will keep wife happy? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/285969-new-tires-will-keep-wife-happy.html)

paddy1337 05-11-2020 07:27 AM

New Tires that will keep wife happy?

So, the 4R is my wife's vehicle but it will become mine when we get her a new vehicle (she's set on a Sequoia). Thing is, I don't know if we'll get the Sequoia in a few months or maybe not for 2 years. By my standards, The 4R is overdue for new tires...

If it was my vehicle, it would already have K02's. But I don't want to ruin my wife's on road manners because I *might take the vehicle from her.

So, has anyone found tires that can handle light off road conditions (mud, snow, small rocks, steep terrain, slippery grass and mossy rocks, etc.) But still behave on the highway like a soccer mom would expect? I'm limited in choices on the Limited 20's, but going sightly outside standard recommended tire sizes opens things up. The OEM tires are pretty worthless; when I'm in there mountains hunting I don't trust them in even light conditions when the terrain is steep.

I might have to just suck it up, get her some gentle tires, and just buy new wheels in a reasonable size once it's my truck...

Jivewalker 05-11-2020 07:55 AM

I kept my OEM rugged terrains on for 70,000 miles and never had an issue off road or in snow. After that, I went to LTX M/S2 for around 60-70k miles and hated them. they seemed to go flat if I ran over a toothpick. They handled well, but seemed to pick up nails and debris. So, I then went with KO2's, which I have on now with about 50k on them or so. Haven't had any flats but road noise will be bad and they will start cupping if not rotated every 5K. I might go to a MT next, also tempted by the Firestone Destinations, which might be a good tire for you. Good luck making wife happy.

I should also mention you will have to adjust tire pressure to match your weight rating if you move from a passenger tire to an LT, must likely go up in pressure. Info on the site about that.

mteolus 05-11-2020 09:30 AM

I had a Toyota P/U (1992) 4x4. I had BFG KO's on it, not bad but did have some noise. After they wore out at 90,000 miles, I put BFG mud terrains on it. I absolutely hated the noise. I went down to Discount Tires and asked them to put the quietest tire on it so they put LTX M/S2. Loved them. I didn't have the problems with flats as the previous poster.

mustangr2 05-11-2020 09:31 AM

Falken wildlpeaks

Tuco Ramirez 05-11-2020 09:32 AM

Whatever you get, just make sure they’re ribbed.

Blue 4ever Runner 05-11-2020 09:40 AM

+1 on the Wildpeaks. They are pretty quiet on the road and it handles better than stock. They are worlds better in wet weather than the Dunlops were.

paddy1337 05-11-2020 09:49 AM

Looks like the LTX M/S2 was replaced by the LTX M/S, seems backwards. Anyway reviews are good on tire rack, so I'll start my search from there and branch out.

Thanks guys.

paddy1337 05-11-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue 4ever Runner (Post 3487072)
+1 on the Wildpeaks. They are pretty quiet on the road and it handles better than stock. They are worlds better in wet weather than the Dunlops were.

X2 for the wildpeaks. I'll check them out!

I think noise is my biggest concern for her. The Limited is already stiff for a 4R, and I can't imagine most road friendly tires would suddenly start chasing ruts on a stock vehicle.

mteolus 05-11-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddy1337 (Post 3487075)
X2 for the wildpeaks. I'll check them out!

I think noise is my biggest concern for her. The Limited is already stiff for a 4R, and I can't imagine most road friendly tires would suddenly start chasing ruts on a stock vehicle.

I had Michelin's on my Escape 2nd to last tires. Last tires I had before the Escape went bye bye was the Falken Wildpeak's. Not bad tires, but they were louder than the Michelin's. I wouldn't say a lot louder, but noticeable. 4Runner is much quieter than the Escape I had so maybe you wouldn't notice in a 4Runner.

Jetboy 05-11-2020 10:34 AM

I have the Cooper HT plus on my 20" wheel.

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...plus_ci2_l.jpg

Mine are 275/60/20 so probably bigger than what you're looking for because they'll require bumper trim and removal of mud flaps to fit. They're quiet, smooth, balance well, light weight, and do okay offroad on moderate stuff. I've driven on them over Imogene pass in Colorado for example without really thinking twice. And - they're dirt cheap. I think I paid something like $125/ea. I use them for most of my driving. Much nicer for long camping trips that don't involve serious offroad duty. They're perfectly fine on moderate stuff like the Alpine Loop in Colorado or similar. Not so much if you're headed out to the Hammers or some of the more challenging Moab trails.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6_...-no?authuser=0

My favorite all around tire I've ever had are the Goodyear ATS - but they're not available in the sizes I use on my 4Runner. My experience with them is that they last forever, but are also good in snow and wet weather, run quietly down the highway, and aren't too expensive. That was the first set I had on my 4Runner. Would buy again as an all-around in a heartbeat if they had them in a 285/75/17. They do make the Goodyear AT Adventure in a lot of sizes, but they're more like $300/tire. So kinda at the highest end of the price spectrum. I like them better than the cooper AT3's I have now or the Toyo AT2 I had before - would not recommend the Toyo AT2.

CMTAZ 05-11-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustangr2 (Post 3487068)
Falken wildpeaks

+1 for the wildpeaks (great around town and on the highway).

Mudballz 05-11-2020 12:01 PM

X3 wildpeaks no doubt smooth ride very very little noise and great in the wet stuff plus good looking :hail:
Mike

paddy1337 05-11-2020 02:01 PM

Wildpeaks don't appear to come in a very good size for the oddball Limited 20s. I don't want the speedometer off by too much.

The Defender LTX M/S looks like my best fit for a non highway tire. Added benefit is that the whole deal is $150 off at BJs wholesale club right now.

Gonna decide tonight if we'll buy her a Sequoia ASAP. If not, I think I'm set on the defenders. If so... Well, I'm getting normal sized wheels and tires for me ;)

GupsT4R 05-11-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddy1337 (Post 3487042)
So, the 4R is my wife's vehicle but it will become mine when we get her a new vehicle (she's set on a Sequoia). Thing is, I don't know if we'll get the Sequoia in a few months or maybe not for 2 years. By my standards, The 4R is overdue for new tires...

If it was my vehicle, it would already have K02's. But I don't want to ruin my wife's on road manners because I *might take the vehicle from her.

So, has anyone found tires that can handle light off road conditions (mud, snow, small rocks, steep terrain, slippery grass and mossy rocks, etc.) But still behave on the highway like a soccer mom would expect? I'm limited in choices on the Limited 20's, but going sightly outside standard recommended tire sizes opens things up. The OEM tires are pretty worthless; when I'm in there mountains hunting I don't trust them in even light conditions when the terrain is steep.

I might have to just suck it up, get her some gentle tires, and just buy new wheels in a reasonable size once it's my truck...

Sadly my wife has also made up her mind on a Sequoia lol we'll see...
My TA KOS were also done and came to the same conclusion as you, she hates the road noise so we went with Michelin Defender LTX and she loves them.

rushrunner 05-11-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuco Ramirez (Post 3487071)
Whatever you get, just make sure they’re ribbed.

I turn mine inside out,,,for my pleasure.:bluejump: